The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Exactly where are you reading this sort of thing? I'd stay away from there unless you already know a lot about computers. And, tbh, what you said doesn't even make sense (clock speed and amount of memory aren't connected).

Get the 2i2 or M2 interface and Logic, plug it into your Macbook. Then get a decent microphone or two. Mics are a whole different kettle of fish (see other threads) but you can get perfectly good results with $100-200 condenser mics. If you're doing vocals too, maybe start with a large diaphragm condenser (AT2035 is a good choice) as it will serve you well on multiple sources. Your Macbook won't be your limiter for what you want to do.
I'll second all the above, and suggest that you get the latest iteration of the 2i2 and a couple AT2035s. That will make recording in an X-Y stereo configuration easy. The 2035s are pretty warm-sounding mics, more so that a lot of cheaper condensers, and the Air setting on the Focusrite works really well with them for a clear sound. That's what I'm using these days and am happy with the results.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Guest 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'll echo the idea that you can record all day with a modest older computer. The amount of RAM in your 2015 computer worries me a bit, but it's likely it'll work OK if you're just recording external instruments and of course you'd just be running your DAW when you're recording. "Just web surfing" with lots of tabs in Chrome would challenge your laptop more than running a DAW for recording external instruments and voices.

My studio space has a 2011 Mac Mini running the High Sierra version of Mac OS, Pro Tools and Logic Pro X. Has 16 gigs of RAM and is hooked up for with an interface to record up to 16 tracks at a time. I do use an external firewire drive as the drive for recording to.

Now of course, more's better in terms of computer horsepower, but recording in and of itself isn't what makes folks get a higher end computer for audio. It's the effects and especially the virtual instruments. For that kind of work I use a more modern Mac Mini (2018 model with an I7).

Logic Pro X would be one way to go for DAW software if you've use a recent version of Garageband which is now sort of Logic Pro "Lite". A lot of folks here like Reaper as another alternative.

There are opinions that now is not a great time to buy a new Mac as Apple is about to changeover to new computer processors (kind of like the ones used on iPad Pro tablets) rather than the Intel processors used by Apple in their current computers. These opinions believe that the new processors will be faster, and so are worth waiting for, and that Apple will discontinue support for the Intel processors in after some intermittent interval, reducing the long-term return on your investment. Expectations is that the new models with the new processors (folks are calling them "Apple Silicon" for whatever reason) will start being available as soon as later this year.

A counter opinion is that Apple says it will support their current models even after the changeover for some time. Will that "some time" be as long as some would like though?

So, you could start with Garageband, Logic ProX, or Reaper on your current Mac Book with an interface and mics that you can use later. If you're just recording a couple of tracks at a time your laptop's hard drive and 4 gigs of RAM will likely pass muster. In 6 months or a year, if you're getting on with this and enjoying it, consider buying your new Mac then.
Good information to have. Sounds like I can jump in with the 2i2 or the MoTu M2 and get a couple decent condensers and see how far I can take it! Oh and as far as plug ins etc I probably won't be using much more than some tube pre emulators and stuff like that.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
So I have been looking at building myself a mini home studio. I started by looking at Audio Interfaces to connect to my computer and some relatively inexpensive mics. The deeper I got the more important the actual computer seems to be. I have a 2015 Macbook Air with 4gb memory which by todays standards is pretty useless.

Can anybody recommend a decent laptop that I would be able to use longer term in the $1000-$2000 price range. Preferably at the lower end. I would be using a basic interface like the scarlett 2i2 or Motu M2 to begin with and slowly upgrading as I go. I have been using Garageband and was thinking of upping to logic. MAC is not a requirement I am perfectly capable of learning some new software on a PC if need be.

My main application will be recording Acoustic guitar, Ukulele, Harmonica and other acoustic instruments and voice and then sending my stem tracks to various people that I collaborate with that have a better grasp on mixing and adding other instruments etc.

Thanks!
4GB is low, but for basic tracking in GarageBand, it should be adequate. I used a 4GB old MacBook Pro (2010, Core 2 Duo) for a few years, though did upgrade it to 8GB and an SSD to keep it capable for a couple more. You can stack quite a few tracks and do large mixes IMO with that, though you'll have to learn how to freeze tracks if you want to monitor a bunch of tracks with FX when adding new ones.

If you're just doing audio, 16GB is plenty with a modern processor and good size SSD, but Apple is going to bust your budget pretty quickly. Unfortunately, they really want you to move to the MacBook Pro models for that kind of work. I am a Mac guy these days. Your upgrades are something like a Mini or iMac for best bang/$. You pay a lot to fit fast mobile optimized processors, memory and storage in a very thin case with a good battery. If it says Apple, you pay an awful lot.

You don't need more RAM unless you are doing video, and then the processor and possibly video card really matter.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Being that I recorded something like 16 tracks in a single project I did with my friend 15 years ago with like a Core 2 duo and maybe 2 GB of RAM at the time (with no problems), your laptop is probably fine.

If you're going to use lots of VSTs or CPU intensive effects (like convolution based IRs), then it probably won't work.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 08-11-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM
Guest 2223

I’m going for the keep it simple stupid setup. The smaller easiest and more basic the better. In all things plug ins etc.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:24 AM

One more tip while we're all dispensing advice : If you want to keep your plugin life and software learning curve fairly simple, I can strongly recommend Logic for your DAW. Its included plugin suite is pretty comprehensive, has a nice array of tools for warming up a mix (the "Vintage EQ" set is great for that), great editing capabilities that go far beyond what's available in Garageband, and all the virtual instruments and drum machine capabilities you'll probably need for a while.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Guest 2223

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD