The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Larrivee D-02 vs Seagull Maritime SWS CW GT QIT

I am curious if anyone has had the experience of comparing these two guitars. I have a Seagull Artists Series Concert Hall, but am looking at a Dread. I like Seagull guitars, but realize that they may have their limitations.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a Larrivee D-03 which is basically the same as the 02, as well as a Seagull SWS guitar. The Larrivee is a superior instrument, in my opinion. I like the tone better, as well as the aesthetic. I don't find the Seagull's to have the depth of tone that Larrivee's possess. Seagull's are fine guitars, but for my money, I'd go with the Larrivee.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Seagulls are pretty good guitars but I would almost always pick the Larrivee.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Seagulls are pretty good guitars but I would almost always pick the Larrivee.
+1. A couple of great manufacturers but the Larrivee D-02 is a sweet guitar.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 AM

Thanks. I have come across a couple of used D-02's. One is for roughly $830 U.S. and is in pretty good shape. The other is roughly $920 (including taxes) but is roughly 4 years old with little or no use, and has an LR bags soundhole M1 active pickup. Both have hard cases. I have played the second one and it sounds great even with old strings. Any thoughts on price range?
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
Thanks. I have come across a couple of used D-02's. One is for roughly $830 U.S. and is in pretty good shape. The other is roughly $920 (including taxes) but is roughly 4 years old with little or no use, and has an LR bags soundhole M1 active pickup. Both have hard cases. I have played the second one and it sounds great even with old strings. Any thoughts on price range?
those prices seem pretty fair and on point with the market. I would lean towards the less used one you tried with the baggs pickup. 4 years old with light use should be great as the wood will have settled but you get the joy of playing it in
Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
I have a Larrivee OM and its a great guitar! I have played several Seagul OM sized guitars and I thought they were a pretty good bang for the buck.
That said; I would be all over the $920 Larrivee especially if it is like new with little or no fret wear AND it has an M1 pickup included. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Blues
Old 11-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'd still have a D-03 if it had wider string spacing. I could play it but was a little cramped. Regardless, it's a fine guitar and a great value...especially used.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM

Larrivee all day long
superior instrument , better tone , better made
dont waste your time , buy one
Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion