The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2021, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD delayed and my continued ill luck with GC

Back in October, I ordered a turquoise Tone King Sky King. It was on backorder but they told me it would arrive in November ...then in December ...then Januarry ...now it's March (but who knows at this point).

In December, I ordered an Epiphone Riviera which was on backorder but they told me it would arrive in January ...then February ...now March (and again, who knows).

My impatience got to me and I figured I'd order an amp while waiting for my other amp order to move from fiction to non-fiction status (after all, one never has too many amps). I'm still primarily interested in clean tones and the amp that caught my attention was the PRS Sonzera 20.

Low and behold, it was in stock! I placed my order.

About an hour later I noticed the status changed to "out of stock." I fully expected to get an email from GC telling me the amp was on backorder. A few days went by and miracle of miracles, I got a tracking number with an estimated delivery date of this coming Monday. WOOT!

Yesterday, I checked the status and the Monday estimate was replaced with a notice that weather might delay delivery. I looked to see where the amp was shipping from the one place in the country where nothing is going right at the moment... Texas.

My luck with GC is really awful. But no one should take this as a complaint. There are more important things to get done in Texas than shipping my amp and when things get back to normal there in a few days, my amp will be on its way to me. I just think it's funny how it's never smooth for me with GC.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Back in October, I ordered a turquoise Tone King Sky King. It was on backorder but they told me it would arrive in November ...then in December ...then Januarry ...now it's March (but who knows at this point).

In December, I ordered an Epiphone Riviera which was on backorder but they told me it would arrive in January ...then February ...now March (and again, who knows).

My impatience got to me and I figured I'd order an amp while waiting for my other amp order to move from fiction to non-fiction status (after all, one never has too many amps). I'm still primarily interested in clean tones and the amp that caught my attention was the PRS Sonzera 20.

Low and behold, it was in stock! I placed my order.

About an hour later I noticed the status changed to "out of stock." I fully expected to get an email from GC telling me the amp was on backorder. A few days went by and miracle of miracles, I got a tracking number with an estimated delivery date of this coming Monday. WOOT!

Yesterday, I checked the status and the Monday estimate was replaced with a notice that weather might delay delivery. I looked to see where the amp was shipping from the one place in the country where nothing is going right at the moment... Texas.

My luck with GC is really awful. But no one should take this as a complaint. There are more important things to get done in Texas than shipping my amp and when things get back to normal there in a few days, my amp will be on its way to me. I just think it's funny how it's never smooth for me with GC.
I don't mean this as a dig, but I really don't understand why people keep buying from them. There are so many other options.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:32 AM

I buy from GC mainly because I mostly buy from the "used" category. I couldn't have the stuff I have now if I had to buy all new. So I appreciate GC having a large used inventory. Plus, if I buy something that is shipped to me, and I'm not happy with it, I can return it to my local GC 20 minutes away. But I've only had to do that once on an open box item.

I think delays right now is a result of the world we live in. I had to wait 6 weeks for a new refrigerator. All I needed was a new door hinge for my old one, but that was going to be 4 months.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

The Sonzera is a really nice amp. I bought one fron my local shop a few years back, and its been in my basement studio ever since. As for your GC woes, they are far to common for me to want to risk it. I have had nothing but stellar service from SW and Mike Grebe. And when something isnt right,they are totally transparent, and do what they must to make it right.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-19-2021, 02:56 PM

Jim, sounds like you're on the bad end of a yoyo! . I've read great things about the Sonzera. At least the amp is accounted for, to you, and it'll ship soon. The guitars ... well, it could be a while.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I don't mean this as a dig, but I really don't understand why people keep buying from them. There are so many other options.
Of course there are other options. I've had GC issues. I've also had issues with several other popular (and renowned) dealers of music gear. But to answer your question, there are advantages and disadvantages no matter where you buy.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:14 PM

they kept putting me off on a guitar i wanted, i think 5 months or more, i just went somewhere else and bought it
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-19-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

The amp has shifted about 300 miles from Lubbock to Mesquite. Progress!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-20-2021, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The amp has shifted about 300 miles from Lubbock to Mesquite. Progress!
Hopefully it soaked up some vibes in Lubbock! Lots of tunage from that little town in west texas!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars