The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Nik Huber Krautster II

I have zero experience with Huber guitars, except that I've always admired the looks of them. Despite having some reservations about the size of the neck (it's big), I purchased this Krautster II from Lark Guitars in Texas.

As you can see, it's designed to be a pretty straight-ahead rock machine, with a very hot (17k) bridge humbucker and a super sweet neck P90. The bridge is a bit on the dark side compared to a PAF, but it's nothing an amp tweak can't take care of.

As advertised, the neck is huge. Is that bad? No. It's extremely comfortable and maybe even preferable to a medium neck? The devil is always in the details on these neck profiles. It has a satin finish of sorts and feels almost like it has no finish at all. It's gorgeous to look at and very smooth to play.

The body is korina. Neck is maple. Finish is an aged ice blue. Oh, and there's a coil splitting push/pull tone knob. I haven't tried that out yet.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and enjoy... (BTW, Korina = Limba)
Old 02-25-2021, 03:03 PM

Fantastic! I look at that I think "rock machine".

Perhaps another humbucker will brighten up your guitar some. Does the guitar have 500k pots? If it has 250, going to 500 will help brighten it up.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! I look at that I think "rock machine".

Perhaps another humbucker will brighten up your guitar some. Does the guitar have 500k pots? If it has 250, going to 500 will help brighten it up.
Yep, it's a straight ahead rock machine!

Not sure on the pots. I'm going to guess they are 500 kOhm since that's the direction most people have been going for the last 20 years. I just EQed out the darkness of the humbucker. No big deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars