The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2021, 11:08 PM

Default K&K pure mini into pro tools or DAW

Hello all,
I want to record my acoustic into Pro Tools in order to make presets for my HX Stomp for my live gig.

Basically it's very simple, all my backing tracks are in pro tools and I want to record my acoustic playing along with the backing tracks and set my levels, eq's etc and copy the presets from HX Native to my stomp thru HX Edit. One issue I'm having is I have no idea of what level to set my Pro Tools input to. I'm not recording to produce a tune I need this input level to be at the same input as if I was plugging into my stomp to get the right mix. Does anyone know what that level would be roughly?
Thanks
Gerry C
Old 02-19-2021, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
Hello all,
I want to record my acoustic into Pro Tools in order to make presets for my HX Stomp for my live gig.

Basically it's very simple, all my backing tracks are in pro tools and I want to record my acoustic playing along with the backing tracks and set my levels, eq's etc and copy the presets from HX Native to my stomp thru HX Edit. One issue I'm having is I have no idea of what level to set my Pro Tools input to. I'm not recording to produce a tune I need this input level to be at the same input as if I was plugging into my stomp to get the right mix. Does anyone know what that level would be roughly?
Thanks
Gerry C
I’m doing something similar right now. Why don’t you connect the Stomp via USB and record through it into your DAW? That way you are getting the same input settings in your recording.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 AM

I did just that. I went straight into the HX Stomp "Empty" patch input set to 1 Mohm. USB out to Pro Tools. And I put my WLM mastering limiter on my main bus to confirm my numbers. I strummed the same thing EXACTLY.

First I plugged in my electric guitars, a Strat (lead Pick up) Then my PRS (lead Pickup). The electric guitars registered at -34db. Now that isn't horrible considering the WLM is set for CD mastering.
Since that is what the HX stomp is designed for...we will call that 0. Zero.
You will be surprised what I found.

Electric Gtr - Zero ( 0 )
Piezo Pickup out of Takamine full volume no eq (- 4db)
K&K pure mini with K&K preamp full volume (-12 db)
K&K pure mini pickup direct in to HX Stomp with no preamp...Direct into HX Stomp (-26 db)

My pure mini without a preamp direct in, is -26db lower than my Strat or PRS direct. Does this make sense to anyone?? Is this accurate?? I was under the impression the output of the pure mini was comparable to a stock electric guitar output. Not even close. So forget about going direct if you are at a live gig. I couldn't even see the waveform in Pro Tools until I enlarged it.

Question: Has anyone ever checked these numbers before and do my calculations look accurate? I picked up my guitar 3 hours ago to play and ended up doing this cause I was just sick of dealing with it. And need to know. I have gigs coming up and want to get these sounds together.

I never imagined, considering how many people use it, I didn't read anyone ever mentioning how low the output is. I just keep hearing how "Hot" these pickups are. I'm not even using the pads on the transducers, I used superglue and the transducers are where they are supposed to be.

I am thinking about getting a Boss Preamp or something with more output than the K&K preamp. Any recommendations? Has anyone tried the Boss GE-7. I need more output than the K&K preamp and the Boss supposedly has +14db headroom.

Thanks hope this info helps someone

Gerry C

Last edited by gerryc123; 02-21-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: K&K image
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Were your findings similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I’m doing something similar right now. Why don’t you connect the Stomp via USB and record through it into your DAW? That way you are getting the same input settings in your recording.
Hey,
I did that was wondering if you did. I linked my results below. First I plugged all 3 three source into through the HX Stomp on an empty channel with the input set to 1 Mohm. I went USB direct into Pro Tools.

1.Takamine with the on board preamp, volume maxxed out eq bypassed.

2. K&K Pure mini through K&K preamp, volume maxxed out eq centered,

3. K&K pure mini direct through HX Stomp.

Were your levels with the pure mini direct as low as mine? People who I talked to on the Forum thought there was something wrong with the pickup or the installation. But I replaced the pickup with a new one...same result.

I just strummed Take it easy by the eagles, real simple

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...E5MU5FemFwMzln

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification