The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Default I'm a lucky guy - Saturday's Gig

Gigs like the one our duo played this past Saturday made me truly appreciate just how very fortunate I am to be able to publicly sing and play guitar. The venue was a micro brewery situated on rural old farm land. The tasting room was a large barn, renovated with a nice bar, rustic tables, lofts. The barn side wall had two huge 20' high doors that were opened to full width effectively bringing the whole outdoor lawn area inside. We were situated on the wall across from the doors so our view was of the whole indoor area with the outdoor stone patio area beyond, and then the entire huge lawn area beyond that. It was a beautiful sunny day, kids and dogs playing in the yard, people in lawn chairs, patio area packed, and all indoor tables full with an appreciative crowd.

Our Bose PA filled the venue perfectly and the guitars sounded amazing. It was one of those 'this is why we do this' kind of gigs. After 4 hours our tip jar was full, I saw at least 4 business cards leave the tray, and we received many great compliments and handshakes when we finished. And the owner wants us back, so we must have done ok!

I never even considered gigging until about 7 years ago when I met my partner and he coaxed me out (I'm in my 50's). Its been a blast and I sometimes can't believe that I get to do this. I'll say it again - I'm a lucky guy
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That sounds like it was a lot of fun. Just curious what kind of music do you two play?
Huss & Dalton TD-M custom
Fender American Elite Tele Thinline
Fender Baja 60's telecaster
Fender Jimmy Vaughan Stratocaster
Heritage Prospect
Deering Terry Baucom banjo
Companion custom woody banjo
Carr Raleigh amp
Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue w/12" speaker
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

That's a great story! Sounds like an awesome venue.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:06 AM

The good gigs are a treasure when you find your self in the middle of one, cuz honestly, you never know how it will go till your in the midst of it.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Just curious what kind of music do you two play?
Thanks for the nice words. We cover mostly acoustic classic rock (80's 90's) but throw in some somewhat more modern artists in there too like Mumford and Sons, Black Keys, etc. We try to find songs that are well known and lend themselves well to 2-part harmonies and 2-part guitars to distinguish ourselves from solo artists.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Any of us who have had your experience completely get it.
When everything is right, it's a beautiful thing. Glad you had fun.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 SS Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Well, that sure beats the heck out of playing 3 sets with a rock band to an indifferent crowd until 1AM at a sports bar, and then pocketing $50.

...and a bunch of nice electrics too!
Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

Gigs.

The venue was a micro brewery
A microbrewery, eh?

That would be a lots of folks' yeast favorite place to play.

Of course, one is left to wonder if the poster played that Danny and the Brewers classic, "At The Hops" there.

Last edited by Inyo; 06-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Gigs like the one our duo played this past Saturday made me truly appreciate just how very fortunate I am to be able to publicly sing and play guitar. The venue was a micro brewery situated on rural old farm land. The tasting room was a large barn, renovated with a nice bar, rustic tables, lofts. The barn side wall had two huge 20' high doors that were opened to full width effectively bringing the whole outdoor lawn area inside. We were situated on the wall across from the doors so our view was of the whole indoor area with the outdoor stone patio area beyond, and then the entire huge lawn area beyond that. It was a beautiful sunny day, kids and dogs playing in the yard, people in lawn chairs, patio area packed, and all indoor tables full with an appreciative crowd.

Our Bose PA filled the venue perfectly and the guitars sounded amazing. It was one of those 'this is why we do this' kind of gigs. After 4 hours our tip jar was full, I saw at least 4 business cards leave the tray, and we received many great compliments and handshakes when we finished. And the owner wants us back, so we must have done ok!

I never even considered gigging until about 7 years ago when I met my partner and he coaxed me out (I'm in my 50's). Its been a blast and I sometimes can't believe that I get to do this. I'll say it again - I'm a lucky guy
That sounds awesome but my imagination ain't so great any more. Do you have any pics of the venue and the setup?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 PM

It is nice to hear a story with positive results. Good for you and your bandmates.

Wishing you continued success!
Old 06-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Yes, great story. Those awesome, fun gigs make it all worthwhile. These days we looking for brunches and outdoor shows that are 2 hours long. I love playing two hours. Three is work. Two is fun. We're finding more and more venue owners amenable to this scheduling as it fits their peak times and they pay us less since shorter. We also rarely take a break if only playing for two hours.

We still play a few 3-hour gigs but those we charge (and get) our full price plus food and drink. It's nice to be able to walk away from places we don't want to play. I think the farther along we go the more just busking appeals to me. No going out and getting dates in advance, no managers/venue owners. Just pick a nice spot on a nice day and play for as little or as long as you want and the leave.

Methos1979: Every guitar-related review I've written on AGF!

NO1U Know - our official acoustic duo website
Old 06-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Default me too

I'm also lucky...I sing lead, kinda play keys and electric/acoustic rhythm for a band. 3 of us played back in the early 90's. Now our kids are out of the house and we're having a blast....we do a very wide range of songs...from Chris Stapleton to Michael Jackson to Ed Sherran. We play the next 2 Sat nights and will get paid approx $1600 including tips for both gigs....and each gig is 30 min's from where we live. Having fun again...I also do the singer/songwriter thing...I play the Bluebird Cafe July 6th.....
54'D-28
49' 000-18
49'OO-18 shade top
56' OO-18
D-28LSH
OMJM
OM-28 RC
D-28 37'A
M3M "George Martin"
Gibson 42 J-35
Gibson 51 J-45
Taylor 717e
Taylor 616e proto
Tak "kc"
Tak SS
Tak New Yorker
Rainsong shorty
Gibson 78 LP Deluxe
Gibson SG
Fender Lacabrinta Tele
Fender p-90 Tele
Fender 51' CS No caster
Fender CS Strat
Fender 73 P bass
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM

You are not only lucky but are gifted with wonderful narrative. The scene you layed out was almost Norm Rockwell in its wholesome goodness, I loved it. Thanks for sharing and putting me in a wonderful frame of mind, very Zen like.
Larrivee L-01
Taylor GS Mini walnut
Cordoba C10 crossover
Cordoba Cadete
Ukuleles....way too many to list
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That sounds awesome but my imagination ain't so great any more. Do you have any pics of the venue and the setup?
Here are a few stock pics from the web. We somehow always forget to take our own photos. The venue was packed. We were set up on the wall opposite the large open doors, in front of the 4' window - two guitarists on high stools, two mics into 4 chan Bose Line Array PA.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowaXoECF0QBg

Quote:
very Zen like
Thanks, my feelings exactly!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion