The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Funny, tried one of these today. Really liked it especially the playability.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Another Impulse buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
took at a chance on this closeout...I think guitar center are still selling these at around $600 on thier site
read the reviews on the ams site.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...QaAj5LEALw_wcB

guitar player review
https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/r...d-travel-pm-te

impulse buy....will report later on my views after i get it. ZZounds has same deal.

all solid woods, mahogany, quality pickup system, delux hard case, 23.5 scale, cool classy looking retro fender headstock logo, ( that sold me ) shipped and 45 day inspection period.
for $299??? How can ya pass that up?

I know these paramounts get mix bag review but 299 shipped with those specs and she is a looker.....why not bite i thought.
So I just ordered one of these thinking how could I go wrong? I chatted with a sales rep on line and asked if they were inspected before shipping and he told me that they were inspected by the manufacturer and shipped directly from one of their warehouses (which is not climate controlled). He mentioned that a setup might be needed. Considering the comments here, I went ahead and ordered it. My thoughts are if it arrives in good condition and just needs a truss rod adjustment and a tweek here or there, fine. If it needs a major setup I might return it. I live in NYC and setups can be expensive.

I'll let you know after it arrives....
Old 06-15-2019, 03:50 AM

There are two versions. Both have solid mohogany back and sides. The natural version has a sitka spruce top. The mohogany version has a mohogany top. Which one is everyone getting?

RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 06-15-2019, 06:51 AM

I got the mahogany top from zzounds

I guess if it has a pull down menu with options, you should call and see what your ordering

Mine was set up great, 2mm low action at 12 fret...
I have a truss neck level guage for truss rod adjustment...it was fine out a box, as it but i adjusted my to my personal liking.

had for a few days now, I am loving the thing. Because of its diminutive size and looks it begs you to noodle with it.
on guitars usually only like 1.75 nut guitars but surprised how well my fingers like this smaller 1 11/16 fretboard and thin neck profile. Have not tried the highly touted pickup system yet. Its like the perfect size guitar for a ukulele player like me...

In the “UKE” world they have these things called a Guitele , basically a 6 nylon string baritone size guitar that has to be tuned 5 steps lower. Finger picked ok, strummed they are horrendous. and if playing in a group you have to transpose chords, get complicated and basically it sucks.

A small diminutive guitar like this is 1000 times better than those guitelele...its a real guitar.

Just ordered some ernie ball alumn bronze 12-54
dying to see how it sounds on the paramount
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 06-15-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM

I bought one of their Paramount rosewood dreadnoughts, forgot the model.
Nicely built, but sounded quiet for a dread. The Fishman pickup sounded very good though and the relative lack of bass would probably be a plus when amplified. Very nice hardshell case too.
I ended up donating it to a local charity auction.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Default You got me convinced

Particularly after I saw that used ones have listing prices for MORE than the price of these new ones (maybe not for long though, right?).
It's still hard to believe ZZ is selling them for $300 when GC, MF & Elderly have them listed for up to $700.
Ever since my wife 'appropriated' my Taylor Mini GS, I've been looking for a replacement.
Twin granddaughters are scheduled to arrive this Fall, and a travel guitar is needed to help those kids (or me!) get through babysitting.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 AM

Got mine yesterday and played around with it for a couple hours, comparing it to a Godin A6 ultra and a Taylor 314. I know all 3 are worlds apart but its what I own. I'm impressed. It sounds better than the A6 all around. Unplugged it is as loud as the 314. It doesn't sound as big, but...duh. Plugged in you can get very good tones out of it. Its actually louder than my 314 plugged in by a large margin. When I plugged my 314 into my PA I thought something was wrong with my cord, nope just have to turn up the volume. the action is better than my 314, which I bought used a week ago and is going into the shop today for adjustment. I'm legally blind so I can't do it myself. The onboard tuner and case are a plus for me. When I think travel guitar I think packing a bunch of stuff in the back of a vehicle. I don't know if i'd want a soft case in this application with heavy duffle bags and suitcases. I typically don't care about onboard tuners as I have an app on my phone but I don't always have it within reach so having the tuner there is a nice touch.

If I return it it will be because I thought the money was better spent somewhere else besides a travel guitar. But if I decide I want a travel guitar I'm keeping it.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM

AMS only shows the natural. Zzsounds has the mohogany.

RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 AM

AMS and Zzounds both list the sale guitar as "all mahogany". AMS uses the word natural but never pictures or mentions spruce.

IMO, AMS=Zzounds.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM

I am leaning towards the Natural vs Mohogany top. Any thoughts?

RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
I am leaning towards the Natural vs Mohogany top. Any thoughts?
Assuming you mean the spuce top, I didn't see any for $299.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:20 PM

UPS delivered it to my Dad today, a day late for father's day, but boy was he surprised, and he sounds super happy with it.

Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Sounds like they sent him the one with the spruce top, not all mahogany, but that's OK.

Last edited by oatsoda; 06-17-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatsoda View Post
UPS delivered it to my Dad today, a day late for father's day, but boy was he surprised, and he sounds super happy with it.

Thanks for the heads up!
Cool!

madhat.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Yesterday put on a set of Nickel MARTIN RETRO extra light gauge 11 gauge
I had lying around, and quite pleased with sound and playability, even at tte 23.5 scale. I prefer low tension for finger picking.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
So I just ordered one of these thinking how could I go wrong? I chatted with a sales rep on line and asked if they were inspected before shipping and he told me that they were inspected by the manufacturer and shipped directly from one of their warehouses (which is not climate controlled). He mentioned that a setup might be needed. Considering the comments here, I went ahead and ordered it. My thoughts are if it arrives in good condition and just needs a truss rod adjustment and a tweek here or there, fine. If it needs a major setup I might return it. I live in NYC and setups can be expensive.

I'll let you know after it arrives....
The box arrived today via FedEx shipped out of a warehouse in New Jersey. I'm impressed with package. For $300.00....a solid wood guitar, very nicely finished with a great case, a pickup (I don't even own an amplifier!) and all the trimmings!

It's not exceeding my expectations. I would think that the spruce top version would be a little louder and brighter sounding. This guitar with the mahogany top (probably sapele, khaya, sipo, but at this price that's not an issue), is quiet even for a "travel" guitar. I tweeked the truss rod for a little relief, but I'm going to have it set up. The bottom two strings are quite buzzy past the third fret when played with anything other then a light touch. I'm thinking that it needs a shim under the saddle or nut or both. If the buzzing can be taken care of, it's a keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion