The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2019, 12:12 AM

You could also go with a light-weight easy to remove soundhole pickup like the Dimarzio Black Angel. Then you could just throw that in any time you needed to plug in.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 AM

I had to remove the Anthem in my J200, the control knobs rattled like crazy after about a year of using them. it did sound good, but that rattle noise was a show stopper.

the other thing to note, is the output of the one I had was very anemic. for ex: Fishman Infinity pickups have much more output.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:38 PM

I purchased a Taylor 224CEDLX this past year. Love the looks, the way it plays and the way it sounds unplugged. When this guitar is amplified, either through a house PA or acoustic amps, it enhances the string noises more than the natural tones of the guitar. I’ve talked to Taylor tech support and even swapped the ES2 with a new ES2 system vía Taylor support. The problem is, when fingerpicking or picking with a pick there is a squeaky noise from the strings and is really bad when amplified. I talked to a technician at LR Baggs and he suggested swapping the ES2 with a LR Baggs Anthem system. He told me that he and a few of his friends did the same thing on their Taylor guitars due to the very same issue I had explained and said they haven’t looked back since. I have my Taylor at a guitar shop getting the Anthem installed. I will post my thoughts about what I hear and what I don’t hear with the Anthem once I get it back. Just curious though... anyone experienced that squeaky string noise from a guitar while fingerpicking?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plckidd View Post
I purchased a Taylor 224CEDLX this past year. Love the looks, the way it plays and the way it sounds unplugged. When this guitar is amplified, either through a house PA or acoustic amps, it enhances the string noises more than the natural tones of the guitar. I’ve talked to Taylor tech support and even swapped the ES2 with a new ES2 system vía Taylor support. The problem is, when fingerpicking or picking with a pick there is a squeaky noise from the strings and is really bad when amplified. I talked to a technician at LR Baggs and he suggested swapping the ES2 with a LR Baggs Anthem system. He told me that he and a few of his friends did the same thing on their Taylor guitars due to the very same issue I had explained and said they haven’t looked back since. I have my Taylor at a guitar shop getting the Anthem installed. I will post my thoughts about what I hear and what I don’t hear with the Anthem once I get it back. Just curious though... anyone experienced that squeaky string noise from a guitar while fingerpicking?
When changing strings, did you continue using the Elixir strings as came factory-installed on your Taylor? I find I get very little string-squeak on my ES2 Taylors when using Elixirs. I've also found that using Fast Fret on any brand of strings significantly reduces string-squeak.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Yes. I actually tried several different strings and had no luck. I hear that sound on every guitar I’ve ever played unplugged, but this is the only guitar I have experienced this squeaky sound while amplified.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Ok it’s been almost a month now since I dropped my guitar off at a local repair shop to have the ES2 system removed and a LR Baggs preamp installed. First thing I noticed is the tone difference. It sounds really warm and full and the resonance is amazing!! Second is when I fingerpick using just my fingers (no picks) there is no weird string scraping noise. So my thoughts on swapping the ES2 for the LR Baggs is a perfil fit. Love the setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification