The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Glory of CGDGAD Guitar Tuning: From Music to Method

Our book is finished! It has been a joy to work with Sandy Shalk to produce this monumental 300-page book. Ours is the first book ever written on the great CGDGAD guitar tuning pioneered by guitarist Dave Evans in the 1960's, and used by many fine guitarists today. The book is called "The Glory of CGDGAD Guitar Tuning: From Music to Method."

It is not your father's method book, as valuable as that might have been. It is a contemporary approach of starting with the music, learning some method through that, and receiving the benefit of the authors' observations and creative processes along the way. It contains nearly 200 pages of tab/music. It has something of value for every guitarist, whatever tuning that guitarist prefers. For example, it includes a mini-workshop on rendering songs on guitar, and chapters on how one can approach arranging a tune. It comes with sound clips in the form of TEF files that can be read with the free TEFView application for Android and iOS formats.

The Table of Contents is attached.

El

The cost is $40, and it is available by download. Paypal and checks are acceptable. Please PM me for details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TABLE OF CONTENTS.jpg (29.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 PM

Is it only available by download?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default book

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Is it only available by download?
Yes; PDF and sound files.
I think that will work for most people, in that
the purchaser can print out the parts he/she
wants to study and read the rest on the computer,
iPad, etc. It also was a way to keep the cost down.

El
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Ok, thank you.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default My thoughts on this book

Apparently I am an “early adapter,” at least on this forum, so I thought I would share some initial thoughts on this work.

This e-book contains 300 pages of music, method and observations from El McMeen and Sandy Shalk, extolling the virtues of CGDGAD tuning, sometimes called CGAD or low C. You don’t tune up, you tune down. A capo helps keep that low E (now C) string under control.

There are a couple of dozen different arrangements in both TAB and standard notation of all sorts of tunes, including folk, sacred, ragtime, standards, Celtic, blues and even a march. Also included is a chord chart and several chord/arpeggio studies designed to show off the beautiful tones available in this tuning.

There are no performances, but TEF files are included that will allow you to play MIDI versions of the tunes on your computer. And many of the tunes are included in the author’s recorded works, available on streaming services, YouTube, or CD.

What really makes the book are the authors’ notes, in the form of short essays introducing the “music” via their own arrangements, and longer discussions about their “methods” of selecting, arranging and rendering these songs in CGAD. At times it feels like an in depth music lesson, at other times like a persuasive argument for others to explore this tuning. There is a little bit of “put this finger here,” but the discussion goes much deeper. The authors are very enthusiastic about their topic, and share freely of their thoughts and methods.

The first selection in the book is a simple arrangement of Amazing Grace, but it sounds like nothing I’ve found in standard tuning. Lush, harp like passages with tons of sustain, interesting harmonies, playing the melody in lower as well as upper registers--the tuning makes these things possible, seemingly with less effort than required in standard tuning. As a “low intermediate” or level 2 player in finger style, I was able to play the tune passably almost immediately. The tunes get progressively more challenging, so it looks like there is enough meat here to engage more advanced players who want to expand their repertoire and their tonal qualities at the same time.

I guess you can tell I like the book, but I am a big fan of El's work, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you like El’s music I think you will like it, too. Even if you are not terribly interested in the tuning, it is kind of neat to crawl “under the hood” with 2 world class musicians. 5 stars from this reader.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default review

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, Bob.

El

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace