The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-22-2019, 02:48 AM

Default Pinging B string

A (more than slight) pinging sound coming from the B string on my Martin DM.
I can hear it open or fretted and it seems to be coming from the saddle end, which I swapped to a bone one instead of tusq trying to eliminate the problem with no success.
It's been regularly set up by the local guitar shop and he cant seem to find the reason why as everything else appears to be in good order.
I've tried different strings with no effect, currently strung with Martin mediums, 13,17 etc. I've tried graphite at both the nut and saddle, tweaked the truss rod both ways and cant think of anything else to try.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:46 AM

Just did a bit more testing.
It appears to be worse at the 4th, 5th and 6th frets which would make me suspect the nut but it's definitely coming from the bridge end. Have a listen and see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/ping
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM

It could be a variety of things. It sounds like fret buzz. How high/low is the action?

Could be loose frets. Could be "back buzz". Could be strings not seated properly. Could be the top of the saddle not shaped properly on that string. Were both of the saddles shaped by the same repair person? Could be a loose brace. Loose wires or electronics or battery on the interior of the guitar? Loose tuning peg washer?

Frank Ford has a checklist of things you can work through on frets.com.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 AM

just an idea... is there a 9volt battery in this guitar?

if it has one that is in a plastic holder somewhere inside the guitar, try to remove it.

if not then, NEVERRRRRR Mind...
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM

It could also be one of those things like for example you are the only one who hears the noise in the car engine.

There's something about the B-String. At least a few times a year I get customers who come in complaining about some sort of B-String noise, ping is often a word used to describe it. Most of the times it's because they want action super low so it's actually fret buzz. Just a tiny bit of a touch of the fret in front can cause such noise. Raise the action at the saddle and it goes away.

It could also be that the saddle needs to be better rounded out and polished.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:04 PM

Redir, can you hear the ping when you play the attached file?
I had a temporary shim in under the bridge to raise the action at that end and it made no difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM

listened with head phones, I can't say I hear it..
Old 05-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
Just did a bit more testing.
It appears to be worse at the 4th, 5th and 6th frets which would make me suspect the nut but it's definitely coming from the bridge end. Have a listen and see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-spot/ping
Yup, I heard it, and know this annoying occurrence well, I get it a lot on my Collings guitars so, as neither I nor any techs/luthiers I know have ever been able to eliminate it, I've decided regard it as a sign of quality.

I believe that it happens when the weather changes, maybe RH reduces a bit.

You cold try changing the B strings for a different make. (?) Maybe it is a slight variance in the string itself.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Redir, can you hear the ping when you play the attached file?
I had a temporary shim in under the bridge to raise the action at that end and it made no difference.
I think I do hear what you are talking about yes. Recheck the shape of the saddle, if it's really flat on the top it can cause problems.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:56 PM

My first guess is a loose nut slot. You can easily check for this by laying a small piece of paper between the slot and the string.

Also, +1 on what redir said about the saddle top, and check the bottom of the back side of the saddle for chipping.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Is it an old string? Or even if it's new, occasionally a string can be defective or got nicked and can produce a nasty overtone. So you might try replacing the string.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:29 PM

I checked the saddle yesterday for any notching but tbh, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
I can take it off again and do a close up photo if that will help with diagnosis?

wrench68, I didn't see any chipping anywhere. Can you explain the paper/slot check in a bit more detail? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
That there isn't a wide land on the top of the saddle, wide enough that the string vibrates side to side over the bearing surface of the saddle.

Quote:
I can take it off again and do a close up photo if that will help with diagnosis?
A photo will help, but you don't need to remove it prior to taking the photo.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Hi Charles. here's a couple of pics, hope they are sharp enough to see whatever your looking for, thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4sX9cBGQho9bbAV9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EW96ajuqbMieMxgC6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CYvc53ZMkReSy6ji8
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM

The winding next to the ball end may be binding within the bridge ramp. After you remove the pin, is pulling out the string a little difficult?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair