The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Once again a good-natured post that was only half-serious is taken way too seriously. Like clockwork I've noticed it takes approximately 10 posts for any thread to begin to go off the rails with opposing positions. It starts out good natured but quickly devolves. Not quite as often on the CF subforum, but it's generally unavoidable.

I'm quite sure that if Alistair really doesn't want to take the time to make this particular instrument he will be able to resist our charms. It's not like we're all going to just stop buying his custom Emeralds in protest. Alistair and company are very busy right now and I'm sure they are concentrating on what they can and want to do.

Emerald is at the forefront of the custom CF movement and I'm sure he's making custom instruments we can't even conceive of as he has the time and desire to do so. I'm always eagerly awaiting for the next unveiling!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:31 PM

It pains me to hear that Capt. is suffering from a recent hip replacement and this thread has piled on more pain. Wish you a speedy recovery!

Regardless of my intent and regardless of how I would interpret this thread if I were Alistair, If Alistair perceives this thread as, "Qui pro quo," or an attempt to shame him into making unwanted decisions, I apologize.

Happy mother's day, all of you!!

G
Old 05-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I took the whole thing as a joke and I think that "most" of us did....
Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 PM

Wait what?? A joke.. how can this be.. as usual I laughed...I cried.. I got the hiccups... I took nap...so much going on here in this here thread.... but I did buy 2 of the new Hobie Passport kayaks that just barely came out these past few days... so if anyone wants to try them and play some CF guitars... plus my Niece just came in from Bethel, Vermont this very eve.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Guest 928

I'm with Kramster--I laughed, I cried, got the hiccups, and took a long nap.

And so, about that custom 10, ultra-thin, electric, nylon string, Barera pickup, medium scale, woody guitar. I think I'll give Alastair a little break for some contemplation (and maybe a nap) before proceeding with any more begging.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if this is appropriate, so mods feel free to delete and charge me whatever demerits I incur, BUT.... if it’s a thinline electric one wishes to acquire, here’s a long gone reverb.com listing. As it happens, a very similar guitar is now listed, for the same price, on the used listings of a certain well known big box national chain.....

https://reverb.com/item/20091023-don...-trans-magenta

Grosh is a first rate maker, Collings level quality. From the location, I’d say it’s the exact same instrument.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Guest 928

Mark;

Thanks for the reference. That's a beautiful guitar. I've played several guitars of this type and enjoyed them, but missed the sense of acoustic. The envisioned 10 is an electric/acoustic, more like the Kirt Sand Mahogany Model.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Evan,

Just thought I’d toss it out there for you. Grosh makes a beautiful instrument. His solid body guitars are pretty darn resonant unplugged, and I think this one may even be a hollow body.

Nevertheless, I understand exactly what you mean about the feel of an acoustic. I wish you success on your quest for an exceptional thinline.

Oh, I assume you’ve ruled out a Gibson Chet Atkins model? A lot cheaper than a Kirk Sand.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Hi all

Apologies if the word 'bully' was a bit harsh.

And thank you for not running me off the forum!

It did seem that there was no one explaining why Alistair might not want to prioritize this irregular project.

And no way for him to safely respond in public to all that chatter.

But don't give up hope. (Just dial down the public campaigning?)

I'm sure that Evan's fantasy, like hundreds of other other ideas is percolating away in Alistair's back brain. It might **eventually** get to the eureka point on how to solve it in a practical non ruinous way. Or maybe not.

By practical I mean making a guitar that sounds good enough (2" eh?) to not make the company look bad, a work path clear enough to reduce the risk of rework needed to be good enough, at a cost that is reasonable to bill to a customer, and in a time slot not overwhelmed by his operational workload, new product development and high priority halo projects.

I did resist mentioning on those other threads an outrageous and possibly unlovely temporary solution for Evan if he is truly desperate to get a 2" thin X10N hollow body electric guitar.

Best regards

Last edited by casualmusic; 05-13-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

I do not see the problems mentioned as insurmountable. The X7 Electric, for example, is 2" and Alistair dialed in the offset sound hole to perfection.

Hi Evan.

Thinning the 2016 X7N was dead easy. That sound hole is entirely in the soundboard which means the sound board needed no changes. The sidewall needed to be narrowed by 1 1/2" or so with no fussy reshaping. Easy peasy.

The new X10N edge cut sound hole is much much trickier because it's cut halfway down the sidewall. The sidewall part of the sound hole will need to be built up which means putting a much shallower curvature in the mold. Hopefully the sound hole cut into the soundboard won't need to be enlarged.

Last edited by casualmusic; 05-13-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

A gracious and thoughtful explanation, casualmusic.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Guest 928

Casual;

You and others illustrate how my previous Emeralds have been developed. The open discussion leads to a lot of considerations that I do not begin with and which are important.

You are correct on the sound hole placement of the 7 electric. As you point out, some modification would be needed on the 10 electric. The older 10 had a center sound hole and that would work as well. In any event, Alistair has worked his way through a number of unique instruments and resolved a number of issues--I've always trusted his judgment.

I should also point out that Alistair has also told me "no" on some of my bright ideas. For example, I spent a great deal of time lobbying for a suitcase guitar in email and forum discussion. I even made 4 wooden samples of the desired instrument. Alistair listened, took a look, and said "no." Like most people, I do not like "no," but I know what it means and respect it.

Gitaman;

I think you started an interesting thread, one that has led to some argument, but one that has also led to some constructive issues regarding the 10 build and possible interest in such a guitar.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

So, it's official: I have been diagnosed as... cranky. The PT guy today used that word. Then told me to quit working so hard; apparently, you can over-do the exercises.

I would like to publicly offer my apologies to Evan and anyone else who found my previous post less than friendly. I generally (sometimes) try to keep my opinions to myself unless asked. Or provoked. I need to work on being less easily provoked these days. (insert understatment emoji here)

My wife reminded me of something I have said: "Not my circus, not my monkeys." I feel more like the guy following the elephants with a shovel. Sorry.

Jim
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

You won't hear me calling you "cranky." Well, just the once. I viewed the exchange as an overnight sensation by someone slightly out of their mind with pain and meds. I've been there. No need to say "sorry." The exchange was informative and has made me a bit more cautious regarding my sense of humor.

Not so cautious that I'll cease and desist in my Emerald lobbying. It's all good.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, don't feel too bad Captain...we know how hard it can be, I wasn't allowed to post anything anywhere while going thru the early stages of knee replacement recovery. I still have problems, so I hope you heel as planned. The PT guy told me that you always hear about the miracle recoveries, well, you're not in that group. LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber