The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Now, once it is bent and in place, it is good, ie. is it more prone to cracking also down the road??? I mean is there any long term worry beyond normal?

BTW, have spent the better part of my day inside due to weather with my Sexauer on my lap in DADGAD, messing around...such a great instrument. So comfortable to play, perfect size and the set up is so easy on my left hand. By far the easiest playing guitar I own.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats on a successful bend! You’re a brave man with nerves of steel!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Now, once it is bent and in place, it is good, ie. is it more prone to cracking also down the road??? I mean is there any long term worry beyond normal?

BTW, have spent the better part of my day inside due to weather with my Sexauer on my lap in DADGAD, messing around...such a great instrument. So comfortable to play, perfect size and the set up is so easy on my left hand. By far the easiest playing guitar I own.
IMO, once successfully bent, the sides are out of the woods as far as spontaneous degrade is concerned. That said, the tree is is going to stand up to less blunt force trauma than most other woods. The grain is beyond merely wild, it is a totally committed party animal. once assembled, however, I expect this guitar to last as long as any other assuming normal handling.

You are not the only one to mention that my guitars are unusually playable. I do not understand this as they are usually simply set up to what I call "Martin specs". 2/32 x 3/32 at the 12th, and relief as I have described many times. I rarely see another guitar's nut cut as low as it should be/could be IMO, so maybe that's it.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Congrats on a successful bend! You’re a brave man with nerves of steel!

Mark
I did spend days practicing on Tree scraps so that I could get the maximum thickness to curve ratio. When I bent the actual sides I was pretty confident, or pretended to be. Fooled myself.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
IMO, once successfully bent, the sides are out of the woods as far as spontaneous degrade is concerned. That said, the tree is is going to stand up to less blunt force trauma than most other woods. The grain is beyond merely wild, it is a totally committed party animal. once assembled, however, I expect this guitar to last as long as any other assuming normal handling.

You are not the only one to mention that my guitars are unusually playable. I do not understand this as they are usually simply set up to what I call "Martin specs". 2/32 x 3/32 at the 12th, and relief as I have described many times. I rarely see another guitar's nut cut as low as it should be/could be IMO, so maybe that's it.
They are *very* well set up, IMHO. Really extraordinary, and it makes playing them remarkably pleasant.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I rarely see another guitar's nut cut as low as it should be/could be IMO, so maybe that's it.
AMEN!

I have never bought a guitar, off the rack or custom, that I did not want the nut taken down a notch on...

Like a lot of the folks here, I play in altered tunings a lot, DADGAD and dropped D etc...and I capo up a lot, commonly 2nd fret.

And with the capo the guitars sound good, and the playability is great...

Then the capo comes off and the first fret action is noticeably annoying...I get used to it, but I always wish I had the same action as when capo-d.

I understand the reasons why this isn’t done - but given that I have no issue with my tone and playability with capo (even when firmly strumming chords) - then why not take the nut down a notch!

Even when I take them in to techs to have them lowered they give me the this ‘are you sure’ look...YES I’M SURE!

-end of rant-

So, please spread the word Bruce!

Ha...
Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have closed Jmat's 000. I also sprayed some shellac on the back (Shellacabackabackaboom) so as to make the character of the quartersawn "Tree" more easily seen.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

The first 2 pieces of top binding are on, and I have cut the receiving end of the miter for the third bit. Amazon RW with Koa rosette and top purfling.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Wow - guess you can get anything on Amazon -
Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM

Hey Bruce,

So with the figure now so prominent on the back, I have a question. Knowing your set is perfectly quartersawn, when we see the "typical" tree tortoise shell appearance (I think that is what it is labeled), does that mean that pattern always indicate flat sawn?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hey Bruce,

So with the figure now so prominent on the back, I have a question. Knowing your set is perfectly quartersawn, when we see the "typical" tree tortoise shell appearance (I think that is what it is labeled), does that mean that pattern always indicate flat sawn?
I feel like I just addressed this, but perhaps that was on facebook?

The "Tortoise" figure is a type of quilt, which in the case of the "Tree" has an interesting line running around the quilt blisters giving them additional definition. There are several other notable figures in the available "Tree", the most common seems to be what is called "Sausage Quilt". All of these quilt figures have in common that the closer to absolutely flat-sawn the wood, the more quilted the figure appears. When the same wood is quarter-sawn, the figure appears to be lumpily flamed, as the set I am currently building does. While by no means as jaw dropping as the Tortoise quilt that this wood may well be if view from 90 degrees to the cut it is, this wood is none the less quite stunningly figured. It will have the advantages that any quarter-sawn wood has where strength and stability are concerned.

Similar to the way that medulary display is the hallmark of quarter-sawn wood, quilt is a hallmark of flat-sawn wood. The difference being that while each is unique to the respective cut, Medulary is virtually always present, whereas Quilted figure is quite unusual. Quilt figure is relatively common in Big Leaf Maple, and occasionally appears in other trees as well. I have seen Quilt figure in other mahogany trees, but to a degree that is pale in comparison to the true "Tree", which the press continues to claim is unique in the history of mahogany, so far undisputed to the best of my knowledge.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Thank you Bruce, sorry if you replied on FB already, I tried to find it, but could not, but thank you for replying here. Very interesting. So even quilted maple is flat sawn then if I understand. I learn everyday, mostly that I have a lot to learn.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

FB often seems to value replies to comments at a low level.

Here's the cutaway with the binding in:

Old 02-26-2019, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

As I am about to head into the house for the night, I have just leveled the last 1 5/32 long bit of Jmat's 000 binding, on the lower right in the photo below, which is larger than life on my screen.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 PM

Mighty mitres!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop