The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 11-05-2018, 10:13 AM
steveh steveh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,386
Default

So I found myself in TNAG this afternoon and played the Model L that you have just recorded for your new album.

Good grief! What a superlative instrument!

Really rich and responsive, not at all shrill - has that characteristic Sands' sweetness and bloom on the trebles.
...and the low end...
...and beautifully built. Crisp work indeed.

Only downside for me was that it is a BIG guitar. Even with the wedge, I found it a handful; a lovely handful, but a handful nonetheless.

Reminded me a lot of a Somogyi MD in wenge that I played at TAMCO many years ago. That guitar was astonishing and started a whole load of balls rolling for me.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Hi Steve,

Isn't it just! And what a joy it was to get it in front of the mics. Sounding suitably enormous, which certainly helps when in a room with string quartet!

I'm not often a fan of larger-bodied guitars, but that one took the biscuit for me, and provided a unique tonal quality which I absolutely loved on this upcoming album.

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
So I found myself in TNAG this afternoon and played the Model L that you have just recorded for your new album.

Good grief! What a superlative instrument!

Really rich and responsive, not at all shrill - has that characteristic Sands' sweetness and bloom on the trebles.
...and the low end...
...and beautifully built. Crisp work indeed.

Only downside for me was that it is a BIG guitar. Even with the wedge, I found it a handful; a lovely handful, but a handful nonetheless.

Reminded me a lot of a Somogyi MD in wenge that I played at TAMCO many years ago. That guitar was astonishing and started a whole load of balls rolling for me.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Lots of new images ahoy!

So, my dear friend Tom has been hard at work. Very hard, actually, as this neck is Wenge...





Some numbers for you:
Nut width: 46.55mm (1-13/16")
Scale: 24.75"
String spacing at the saddle: 2-1/4"



I absolutely love the contrast between the Wenge and Black Limba.



I've actually named this guitar "Jupiter" as the grain of the Limba looks a lot like the swirling gas clouds on the planet... I also quite enjoy the irony as it's such a small guitar =)



And here we have it... looking very much ready for a coat of lacquer...



And some final numbers:
Lower bout: 14-3/8"
Upper bout: 10-1/4"
Body length: 18-3/4"
Depth: 4-1/4"





Safe to say my excitement has reached fever-pitch, and I simply can't wait to get my hands on it now. And the entire process from the initial spark of an idea, through to now has been such a joy. Tom's suggestions and constant communication made the whole process smooth-as-silk.

Over the past year-and-a-half, working so closely with Tom, he's become a dear and very close friend, and that is where the magic lies.

Now let me play the thing!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 AM
Deft Tungsman Deft Tungsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 420
Default

This is an exciting moment in the gestation process!! Coming together very nicely, indeed! Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing!
__________________
The Cast
Claro kC
2014 Claxton OM, Italian Spruce/Claro Walnut
Aloha Koa
2010 Baranik Retreux Parlor, Carpathian Spruce/Koa
Che Guerilla
2012 Baranik 00m, Carpathian Spruce/Higuerilla
Tuxedo Bolo Blue
2011 Baranik Meridian, Colorado Blue Spruce/Black Cocobolo
Stealth Bomb
2015 Blackbird Rider Steel, 100% carbon fiber
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Thanks for the reply! Yes, very exciting indeed, and hope I may well even have it over in France in April =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
This is an exciting moment in the gestation process!! Coming together very nicely, indeed! Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Deft Tungsman Deft Tungsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
Thanks for the reply! Yes, very exciting indeed, and hope I may well even have it over in France in April =)


Fingers crossed, mon ami!!
__________________
The Cast
Claro kC
2014 Claxton OM, Italian Spruce/Claro Walnut
Aloha Koa
2010 Baranik Retreux Parlor, Carpathian Spruce/Koa
Che Guerilla
2012 Baranik 00m, Carpathian Spruce/Higuerilla
Tuxedo Bolo Blue
2011 Baranik Meridian, Colorado Blue Spruce/Black Cocobolo
Stealth Bomb
2015 Blackbird Rider Steel, 100% carbon fiber
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 6,093
Default

Looking very sharp for sure. I am excited to see it under finish and as a moderator and fan, I must demand a sound clip as well!!!!
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-12-2018, 02:57 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Thanks for the reply! And yes, don't you worry about that - I'll be exceptionally excited to get some microphones in front of it, and will for sure post a sound clip =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looking very sharp for sure. I am excited to see it under finish and as a moderator and fan, I must demand a sound clip as well!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 PM
steveh steveh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
Nut width: 46.55mm (1-13/16")
You have huge nuts Will...

That's Martin Simpson territory; he has huge nuts as well.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Marcus Wong's Avatar
Marcus Wong Marcus Wong is offline
The Golden Era Guitar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,613
Default

Your guitar is turning out wonderfully Will! I wonder if you would get the chance to play my Model S as well? Would be awesome if you could take a comparison video of both
__________________
.
THE GOLDEN ERA GUITAR
FOR SALE | VIDEOS

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber |Halland | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
TheGoldenEraGuitar@gmail.com
+65 8666 0420
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
You have huge nuts Will...

That's Martin Simpson territory; he has huge nuts as well.

Cheers,
Steve

Haha, that's a very astute observation, Steve! Nice to be amongst very fine huge-nut company!

=)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 AM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Your guitar is turning out wonderfully Will! I wonder if you would get the chance to play my Model S as well? Would be awesome if you could take a comparison video of both
Thanks so much, Marcus. To say I'm excited would be an understatement! Similarly, your S is looking sublime, and yes what a joy it would be to record a comparison video - excellent idea! We'll make it happen =)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM
nobo nobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 547
Smile

So stoked for you and Tom - this one's going to be a corker for sure!

And really lovely to hear you play a selection of Tom's guitars at TNAG for his launch night - and to catch up with you both (and others). That cedar-topped MD really is something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
Haha, that's a very astute observation, Steve! Nice to be amongst very fine huge-nut company!

=)
I'm gunna throw down the gauntlet here (he says, desperately aspiring to be the in the big boys' territory)... The nut on my Sands baritone is probably going to be c.50mm. Which is a step up from my Kostals (47mm) but down (!!) from the Wingert (which is nearly 52mm). String spacing probably 61-62mm.

I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about this condition...
__________________
facebook.com/danburneguitar

Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (plus another due 2020)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 12-17-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Will McNicol Will McNicol is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
So stoked for you and Tom - this one's going to be a corker for sure!

And really lovely to hear you play a selection of Tom's guitars at TNAG for his launch night - and to catch up with you both (and others). That cedar-topped MD really is something!



I'm gunna throw down the gauntlet here (he says, desperately aspiring to be the in the big boys' territory)... The nut on my Sands baritone is probably going to be c.50mm. Which is a step up from my Kostals (47mm) but down (!!) from the Wingert (which is nearly 52mm). String spacing probably 61-62mm.

I think Sir Mixalot wrote a song about this condition...
Thanks so much, Dan! Yes, lovely to see you at Tom's launch night - such a fun evening. A little fuzzy-headed the morning after I have to admit! Yes, that cedar MD really is a powerhouse. Looking forward to getting the tracks I recorded with the quartet out there on that one.

So looking forward to seeing yours come together as well. And as you say, it'll be quite the unique endeavour! And those nuts - goodness me!!(!)

=)

W
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:45 AM
nobo nobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
Thanks so much, Dan! Yes, lovely to see you at Tom's launch night - such a fun evening. A little fuzzy-headed the morning after I have to admit! Yes, that cedar MD really is a powerhouse. Looking forward to getting the tracks I recorded with the quartet out there on that one.

So looking forward to seeing yours come together as well. And as you say, it'll be quite the unique endeavour! And those nuts - goodness me!!(!)

=)

W
Yup - great fun and fuzzy heads!

So, so looking forward to your album with the quartet - and for our guitars to be finished. Looking forward to comparing notes.


And I did settle on a 50mm nut, 61.5mm string spacing at the saddle, 61.5mm neck width at the 12th. I like big nuts and I can not lie, uou other brothers can't deny...

I have a second on order from Tom and am really torn between a cedar topped L or M (probably over hog), or an S of some kind. Obviously the right answer is all 3!
__________________
facebook.com/danburneguitar

Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (plus another due 2020)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=