The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM

I find that it's easy to barre if I move the neck farther away from my body but that's not the right position.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

On steel string acoustic guitar, I think open type chord stuff simply sounds better. But It's good to know how to do some barre chords especially the E and A shape ones, which I can do.
The C and G shape ones are way more difficult, and right now I can only do a partial version of the C shape one, just find it really hard to get that pinky up onto the A string. On the other hand you can't really do some things (sans Capo) without knowing them, no E flat chord in the first 3 frets, so you'd have to go A shape barre at 6th fret or C shape barre at the 3rd fret.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 AM

I have a Grand Concert. I have always used the light, or custom light strings Taylor suggests. I come from decades of electric guitar playing and jumped on barre chords 49 years ago as a staple of rock music.

I finally tried a set of 10-47 acoustic strings on my GC. Although I've played barre chords and done rock type string bending for many years on acoustic, I am having a great time with the "rock gauged" acoustic strings.

You might find the light strings helpful. I hear very little tonal difference. I have not had to adjust my truss rod. Good luck!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 AM

In my early years I mastered and used mostly Barre chords.

After I retired and started playing in a big band ( think Count Basie ) I use no barre chords in the big band.

I use whatever works for who I am playing with, Bluegrass, Folk, Fiddlers. I have never owned a capo when I started at 10 years old (56 years ago ) It's use was not allowed.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi Guilder, alnico5, and Big Band Guitar…

Just calling your attention to the face you've tapped into a 3 year old thread (last posted in over 3 years ago).

Nothin' illegal about that, but the original poster is not responding (well maybe they will).

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Guilder, alnico5, and Big Band Guitar…

Just calling your attention to the face you've tapped into a 3 year old thread (last posted in over 3 years ago).

Nothin' illegal about that, but the original poster is not responding (well maybe they will).

Hi, Larry! But it gave me a good chance to watch your excellent videos again after three years. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
Hi, Larry! But it gave me a good chance to watch your excellent videos again after three years. Thanks!
Hey zzt

Thanks for making me smile…

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write