The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 06-17-2019, 01:12 PM
TokyoNeko TokyoNeko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Very nice! I wasn't aware that they're now using maple binding on the necks of these...used to be ivoroid on that.
I noticed that as well. I usually like simple aesthetics, but I am no fan of ivoroid binding (either on the body or the fretboard). That subtle touch makes the guitar look so much better IMO.
__________________
Worland Custom OM (Engelmann/EIR) - "Martin-ish"
Crafter Omega SR Premium (Engelmann/EIR) - "Taylor-ish"
Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE (Engelmann/Striped Ebony) - for stage/plug-in
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM
maxtheaxe maxtheaxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N. Oregon Coast
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
I noticed that as well. I usually like simple aesthetics, but I am no fan of ivoroid binding (either on the body or the fretboard). That subtle touch makes the guitar look so much better IMO.
I'm actually fine with ivoroid binding, and it has the advantage of being harder to dent/damage. I do prefer the looks of the maple, especially on the body...just have to be aware of it on the neck binding when, for example, using a capo, just to avoid having it become dented.
__________________
Larrivee OM-40R
Larrivee L-10 Custom
Larrivee DV-10K
Larrivee L-03
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12
Breedlove Studio N250cre
PRS 'Studio' (10-top)
Rickenbacker 660-12 Mapleglo ('06)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Ibanez Artist AR 420
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,079
Default

Congratulations! Nice story and welcome home. I shared your sentiments. My 2006 OM-03R is likely going to be buried with me. That guitar is never leaving me.

By the way, that spotty texture almost looks like sycamore.
__________________
~ Neil

2013 OLF MJ (DIY build, western red cedar, Honduran mahogany)
2012 McKnight McUkulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivee OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Natural ash)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I'm actually fine with ivoroid binding, and it has the advantage of being harder to dent/damage. I do prefer the looks of the maple, especially on the body...just have to be aware of it on the neck binding when, for example, using a capo, just to avoid having it become dented.
I hear you. I’ve had both, and somehow seem to have had more issues dinging the ivoroid than the wood...go figure! I definitely prefer the class provided by the wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Congratulations! Nice story and welcome home. I shared your sentiments. My 2006 OM-03R is likely going to be buried with me. That guitar is never leaving me.

By the way, that spotty texture almost looks like sycamore.
Thanks Neil! I know you love that OM! And I agree, the texture is crazy! Really gives it depth.
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,657
Default Update: sound clip added

I was able to record a rough sound clip of the OM-03 the other day. For some reason, Garage Band skipped on the front of a few of the clips, but it gives you an idea of the tone of this gem, despite my hacking playing!

__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Rockysdad Rockysdad is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: El Paso, Tx. You might want to add an H and another L originally from Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 781
Default

Which strings are you using? ( on the soundclip ) Sounds pretty good.
__________________
Herman

Larrivee L-10, L-03 Custom Shop FM,
Guild & others.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Which strings are you using? ( on the soundclip ) Sounds pretty good.
Thanks! Still has the factory strings on it, so either D'addario EXP 17 or EJ17.
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
UncleJesse's Avatar
UncleJesse UncleJesse is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: STL
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I was able to record a rough sound clip of the OM-03 the other day. For some reason, Garage Band skipped on the front of a few of the clips, but it gives you an idea of the tone of this gem, despite my hacking playing!

That thing sounds awesome in the drop d tuning. Really making me consider checking out Larrivees when I start shopping for an OM later this year/early next year.
__________________
2019 Martin HD-28
2015 Martin CEO-7
1980 Yamaha SJ-180
2010s Art & Lutherie Legacy
2005 Martin DCX1E
Also a Tele, A Schecter, and a P Bass
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
That thing sounds awesome in the drop d tuning. Really making me consider checking out Larrivees when I start shopping for an OM later this year/early next year.
Thanks man! To be honest, the clip doesn't even come close to doing it justice. It is an incredible instrument!
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 7,044
Default

Nice playing and a beautifully-toned Larrivee!
__________________
Larrivee D-40M Legacy
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin HD-28 (Trance M-VT)
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Martin D Jr (B-Band A1.2N)
Taylor 614ce (ES2)
Taylor 618e (ES2)
Taylor 356ce (ES2)
Taylor 322ce (ES2)
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (ES2)
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Ovation VXT Electric (two Duncan '59/Fishman Acoustic Bridge)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
llew llew is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 8,316
Default

Somebody beat me to it but that OM-03 sounds great in drop D! Well done Matt!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice playing and a beautifully-toned Larrivee!
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Somebody beat me to it but that OM-03 sounds great in drop D! Well done Matt!
Thanks Jim! I’m pretty tickled!
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivée OM-03
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=