The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Alvarez AP66 or equivalent

Hello - first time ever posting on a forum, please be gentle.

I currently play a Yamaha FG800 dreadnaught and the size of the guitar is really not working for me. I drop into music stores when I can and I think the OO size is what i would like. I played the Eastman E10OO and loved it, but my wife instantly reminded me that was a lot more than our budget would allow. (Particularly harsh I thought because it was Father's Day.)

i have read good reviews of the Alvarez AP66, but I can't find a store in the DC metro area that carries it. I also am having trouble finding an online store that carries it.

Does Alvarez still sell this guitar?
If not, can you suggest a similarly priced and comparable model?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM

I'm seeing it online with several retailers. I actually purchased an Alvarez AG75 CE through zZounds (one of the options I see) and had no negative issues whatsoever, via the sales/delivery process or the actual setup/fit/finish. The Alvarez Artist series is a fantastic value and I doubt you'll be disappointed. I did get mine "tweaked" to get the setup just right, but it was very playable right out of the box.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 AM

Well first off,
Welcome to the AGF!

Overall, we are a friendly bunch with vigilant Moderatators to keep a watchful eye on us all.
I trust you'll enjoy your time here.

To your question, I don't have much to add but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

But again, welcome aboard.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 AM

Larger guitars do not work for me either, only OM/000 and smaller for me.

The AP66 is readily available almost everywhere online, but you will notice than 00's are rather hard to find in stores. Look at Musicians Friend.

The Alvarez "parlor" guitars are really 00. They also make a guitar called the Delta 00 which is worth looking at, longer scale than the AP (this will give a bit more tension and volume/snap) and no slotted headstock (I don't like 'em).

The Seagull Grand is also worth looking at. It's a true parlor, but has power that belies it's diminutive size. My wife has one w/ a Cedar top and it is loud, warm and woody - a stellar little guitar for the $.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Guitar Center is showing the have one at the Seven Corners and also one at the Laurel stores
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had to order mine online as no stores in my area carried them. I phoned Alvarez and they told me of their dealers in my area and which dealers currently had one in stock. You might try that route and see what is possible. You might get a quicker response if you both call and leave a message if they do not answer and also email. That is what worked best for me. I hope that you are able to find one as they are sweet guitars and very fun to play.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 AM

Welcome!

A budget friendly option for you could be this - from Target :

https://www.target.com/p/alvarez-ap3...r/-/A-76176736

I own an Alvarez artist and it is a fine instrument.

Steve
Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Here you go, the all-solid-all-mahogany 12-fret parlor from Ibanez, the discontinued AVN2OPN open-pore finish beauty with a body depth equal to my D-18 Martin dreadnaught.

Google the model number and you'll find the few new ones left for sale at $499, then go on YouTube to see it and hear it.

I played one in a store when they were out about four years ago and was impressed, but I wasn't ready to buy yet. I wanted something as completely different from my D-18 as I could get for my second guitar. When I made up my mind to get something I had moved, and couldn't find the Artwood Vintage in stock anywhere.

I'd buy one today if I hadn't already gotten my Fender PM-2, which is lovely.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Here you go, the all-solid-all-mahogany 12-fret parlor from Ibanez, the discontinued AVN2OPN open-pore finish beauty with a body depth equal to my D-18 Martin dreadnaught.

Google the model number and you'll find the few new ones left for sale at $499, then go on YouTube to see it and hear it.

I played one in a store when they were out about four years ago and was impressed, but I wasn't ready to buy yet. I wanted something as completely different from my D-18 as I could get for my second guitar. When I made up my mind to get something I had moved, and couldn't find the Artwood Vintage in stock anywhere.

I'd buy one today if I hadn't already gotten my Fender PM-2, which is lovely.
I have the AP66SB and I played the Ibanez and wished I had bought it instead. The Alvarez is nice, but the Ibanez is really nice.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:09 PM

I have a couple of friends that have AP66s. Very nice guitars.

I don't know what your price range is but I am going to recommend another 00 size that I believe is a great value.

Check out Elderly Instruments OT 22 or Old Town 22. This is an Elderly exclusive. It is very much like the Gibson LG 2 both in appearance and sound. It is a 00 size, short scale guitar with a standard headstock.It is available with 1 1/16" or 1 3 /4" nutwidths.

You can see/hear the guitar on YouTube and on Elderly's website. This model is $ $423.00. It is made by one of the better Chinese builders and was developed by Elderly's owner, Stan Werbin.
I think the guitar is very well made and has great tone. It can be played fingerstyle or strummed and flat picked with good results.

I don't normally do much recommending of guitars. But this one stands out IMO.

Good luck however it goes.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Default One local option

Have you checked out Alexandria Music, just off the GW Parkway? I was in there last winter and played a nifty little all-mahogany Alvarez that I think was the 66.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM

The Alvarez AP66 is a nice size guitar. I have an MPA70, which is the all solid wood spruce/rosewood version of the same guitar. It's called a parlor guitar, but is not a small parlor size, as someone else mentioned is closer to OO in overall volume of guitar, just in the parlor shape. I find it extremely comfortable to play, and with the short scale it's easy on the fingers. The AP66 is likely a very well rounded sounding guitar. I've got an Alvarez Yairi MYF66HD that is an extraordinarily wonderful sounding guitar. As I understand, the mahogany used in the Alvarez guitars came from stock at the Yairi facility in Japan. I can't say for certain on that, but in general Alvarez seems to have very good wood for their guitars. I've got an AD610 Alvarez as well, a dreadnaught spruce/mahogany model in the Artist series, and it's an impressive guitar regardless of how little it cost. I have played Eastman parlor guitars, and I would say the Alvarez are very similar in size and feel, overall quality as well, but they seem to not cost quite as much. I'd have no problem ordering an AP66 online if you can't find one locally, chances are good you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Hello again, original poster here. Thank you very much for the helpful comments.

I have an opportunity to get a used Alvarez AMP610e. It is a parlor size guitar, but I can’t find any reviews of this model. Does anyone know anything about this model? And any comments vs. the AP66 gratefully appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgellent View Post
I have an opportunity to get a used Alvarez AMP610e. It is a parlor size guitar, but I can’t find any reviews of this model. Does anyone know anything about this model? And any comments vs. the AP66 gratefully appreciated. Thanks
Whenever there's a convoluted model number such as 'AMP610e,' it frequently is a Guitar Center exclusive model: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alvarez...#productDetail
One of the unfortunate side effects of this is that there are rarely any reviews of these models. Fortunately, Alvarez is usually noted for its consistency so you would probably do well with that particular model provided it hasn't been abused.

That being said, I have faced a similar situation regarding body size. After months of shopping for my first acoustic guitar, I purchased a Seagull S6 because its tone just spoke to me. Unfortunately, I play almost exclusively sitting down and I have a gut so the S6 dread wasn't the best choice as far as comfort is concerned. Solution? I added a almost-new Eastman E1OM to the stable - smaller than the S6 but bigger than the E10OO you tried, with great tone and playability, for a paltry $300. I still love the tone of the Seagull but have decided that a parlor-size might be better so I've tried several.

The one I've liked best so far was the Ibanez AVN9OPN - Open pore finish, slotted headstock, torrefied solid top. Outstanding tone, neck is a bit wide. I'd second the Seagull suggestion as well, but their Art and Lutherie Roadhouse models might be preferable due to their spruce tops and 12-fret design (the Seagull is a 14-fret model).

If it's still available, that Pono in the AGF classifieds looks very sweet as well.

Parlors I've not yet had the opportunity to try (but would like to) include the Alvarez MPA66 (their Masterworks version of the AP66), the Recording King RP1-16C Schoenberg design (torrefied top, cutaway, full scale), and the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse previously mentioned.

Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez artist series, oo sized guitar