The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Tulipwood

Hello all. Iím new here. Today I am resawing some Brazilian Tulipwood into guitar sets. I bought a really big chunk of it, quartersawn somehow, years ago on eBay. Always been too afraid to actually cut it up. Donít want to ruin this wood!
Anybody ever built with Tulipwood before? Worked with it?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yOHPwwh

Hereís a gallery of the wood.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM

It works very easily. It's medium density, medium oily rosewood. I had two of these sets--big enough for a dread, but this client wanted the three piece back.

Your piece goes from quarter to rift or flat, with several checks in the flat part. How thick is it? I would suggest not using the checked part, and making a 4-piece back.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking at the end grain pic you show, I cannot see how Howard has used the term “flatsawn”. There is degrade I would not be comfortable with toward the outside edge, and it isn’t quite wide enough for most guitars I build if you want a 2 piece back. So I agree that you might consider a 3 or 4 piece back . . . Unless you resaw your billet at a diagonal perpendicular to the growth rings. You’d get less backs, but they’d be wider, and they could be perfectly quartersawn.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 PM

I never used the term "flatsawn." But I did say it went rift to flat on one edge, and the reason is that I could only see one photo when I first looked. Now I can see them all (several, anyway), and it still looks like it goes to flatsawn at one edge, but only on one end, and on one side. I still would exclude the checks and go 4-piece.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 06-08-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:06 PM

That is monster size for tulipwood. I have an older classical size set with a four-piece back. It is rift cut, but no cracks. Both tulipwood and Brazilian kingwood are small trees, normally. They also tend to have heart checking or heart rot which severely limits the widths available in anything close to a quartered cut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair