The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Bluemonk, I understand your point. Ah, unfortuntaley I have no way to play the Eastman and the Loar before buying! Maybe, I will buy the Loar and, if my interest on archtop guitars will grow instead of fading, I will sell the Loar and upgrade to an Eastman....
Old 06-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
Bluemonk, I understand your point. Ah, unfortuntaley I have no way to play the Eastman and the Loar before buying! Maybe, I will buy the Loar and, if my interest on archtop guitars will grow instead of fading, I will sell the Loar and upgrade to an Eastman....
Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I would buy the Eastman, and I would look for a used one in the 800 series.
Check Reverb.com and Guitar Center used.

GC has a 45 day no questions asked return period, and Ive used it a couple of times with zero negativity coming from the GC staff.

Reverb has more stuff coming through from a wide variety of sources, from private to huge retailers. Some have return policies.

Used Eastman archtops are among the best buys in guitars, period. For that matter, so are the E series of flattops. You have to be diligent in your inquiry and ask the right questions, of course. As with any maker, there are better and worse examples of a style.

As for Loar, their higher end stuff is, well, just ok, imo. I ordered a low/mid end from GC, in new condition, to be picked up at the local GC. I opened it there as I usually do upon receipt, and it took me well under 5 minutes to hand it back to the counter guy and get my full refund, no questions. They even refunded the shipping, based on the poor build quality. It was a Loar in the $350 range, but still, the build and qa/qc was just shy of appalling.

Sum: Id go used Eastman 805, with or without cutaway/electric.

Fyi, I play fingerstyle 60-70%, flatpick 30-40%. If youre going to play an archtop unamplified, I suggest a flatpick, or use a lighter gauge for finger style. If youre going to plug in, heavier gauge (12s or up) can work really well for fingerstyle too.

Good luck Gerardo!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops