The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM

Jim;

Congratulations! It's pretty easy to go downhill, but going uphill can be a real trial. It sounds like you've almost reached normal, I look forward to when you are able to ship out and scoot.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Glad to hear the good news, Jim. I have been following your increasingly positive reports on your blog. We knew you'd get there, but this surgery is an ordeal to be endured for the long term good of better mobility, not something done recreationally. My shoulder is improving too, but nowhere near 100% -- until maybe fall.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad to hear the good news, Jim. I have been following your increasingly positive reports on your blog. We knew you'd get there, but this surgery is an ordeal to be endured for the long term good of better mobility, not something done recreationally. My shoulder is improving too, but nowhere near 100% -- until maybe fall.
Recreationally? As in: for the fun of it?? Hey, do you want to go to a concert this weekend... or would you rather get a hip replacement?

On a fun scale of 1 to 10, this has been a MINUS 20.

I appreciate your private "what to expect" notes, Earl. They were helpful. My PT guy said, "Three months to 'heal,' 6 months to a year before you feel normal again."

I fooled him - I haven't been "normal" in a lot of years.

The mobility is increasing daily. I'm doing all the exercises, but my main plan is to "walk myself back to mobility."

Sending good vibes your way for that shoulder to heal. Probably too far into it for "fast," but hope you see "full." Take care, my friend.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Seems you are doing very well for only being 6 weeks in. I'm 4 months in and still having issues with the knee, I'm being told it can take a year, here's hoping for a continued fast recovery. It can't go fast enough, that's for sure.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Seems you are doing very well for only being 6 weeks in. I'm 4 months in and still having issues with the knee, I'm being told it can take a year, here's hoping for a continued fast recovery. It can't go fast enough, that's for sure.
Sending good vibes your way for the knee issues, John. I had knee surgery when I was a youngster (in my 20s), and I recall getting that leg to go straight again was grueling and took several months.

I appreciate the "not fast enough" feeling. Look back at where you were a couple months ago, and you can appreciate the improvement... even though the day-to-day changes seem to come slow. The thing for me has been having an additional distance with each day's walk, so I can really detail the difference. If the issue is bending and straightening your knee, it can be hard to tell the difference in a couple degrees. The PT guy put what looked like a big protractor along my leg so I could see when I was gaining another degree or two. The work will be worth it - hope the improvement comes faster for you.

Everybody's recovery is different. It takes however long it takes. During my first few weeks, when I was struggling to get from the living room to the bathroom with a walker, it seemed that everyone wanted to tell me how "their friend (uncle, brother, mailman) had exactly the same hip surgery and they were up walking, dancing, and running within a week." I wanted to whack 'em with my cane!

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 06-07-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
During my first few weeks, when I was struggling to get from the living room to the bathroom with a walker, it seemed that everyone wanted to tell me how "their friend (uncle, brother, mailman) had exactly the same hip surgery and they were up walking, dancing, and running within a week." I wanted to whack 'em with my cane!.
Eh yeah...it was constant ! I had to bite my lip a lot, but I did learn not to do that to others getting the surgeries. My PT guy made it clear that I am not one of the lucky ones. LOL I have good range, but still have a lot of pain. Oh and, I tried riding the scooter a couple weeks ago, it felt great, then I paid for it for 2 days. Takes more time I guess. Enough of THAT !!! Back to CF guitar discussions please.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber