The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 AM

I moved to .09 to .042 sets on most of my electric guitars a few years ago as finger joint issues became a thing for me. I also started use a vibrato bar on guitars where before I almost never did. I don't notice any significant timbral difference, but it's harder to not unintentionally bend strings, because I'm still aggressive with the pick and fretting hand. I keep at least on guitar with .011 or .012 strings for the few times I want that.

I've always bent the lower strings more than most "lead players" and for years enjoyed the Fender 150L set which was an odd "extra light bottom/light top" set with a .038 low E and .010 high E. This was once a very common set, now hard to find, but I keep one Telecaster and my Jimi Hendrix reverse Strat strung with this gauge. It's a little easier to do full barre chords on this set too.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

These are my strings of choice:

https://www.stringjoy.com/categories...ring-electric/

They are made in Nashville and offer a variety of gauges (9.5 included).
Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Getting older and string bending is harder on my hands than it once was, and want to experiment with something lighter than my standard 10-46 sets on my LP. Trying to decide if I should go with 9-42 (super light) or a 9-46 (custom light) set. I tend do near all my bends on the 3 high strings and I play mostly southern rock and classic rock on it, some country and jazz. Any thoughts?
Johann,
I do mostly hammers, slurs, pull-offs, and an occasional whole step bend on my B string.

That said, my electrics are set up to play and feel like my acoustics, so Iím using DíAddario EXl145ís with.017 & .013 substitutes for the 2nd & 1st.

I stopped doing that thin-string thing decades ago.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars