The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Default NGD - PRS SE Zach Myers

Purchased a used PRS SE Zach Myers electric guitar today from a seller on Reverb. Honestly, I was not really looking to acquire yet another guitar especially an electric guitar; especially since i recently (past 12 months) purchased a G&L ASAT Bluesboy, a Fender Players Series Strat and a Gibson ES-339 Studio; and especially because I am mainly an acoustic flattop and electric archtop guitarist.

Why then do i have so darn many semi-hollow and solid body electrics???

Anyway, I stumbled across the PRS SE Zach Myers sort of looking for something to fill an extra (but empty) SKB Les Paul case that I had in my closet. No kidding. There might be even crazier reasons to look for a guitar; but that's my story.

What I like about the PRS SE Zach Myers guitar:

1. First, I didn't know who Zach Myers was, until after listening to samples of the guitar on YouTube. (By the way, he seems like a very talented musician although not my genre of music.)

2. Wanted a Les Paul style (sized) guitar, but not a LP or LP knock off. A solid LP is a little too heavy for my liking.

3. Wanted something relatively inexpensive since this was a "nice to have" not a "need to have" purchase.

4. Love that it is a semi hollow guitar.

5. Love the finish and looks of the guitar...flamed maple top, interesting green color (I like it!), unfinished neck, wrap-around bridge, vintage Kluson Keystone tuners and bird inlays.

6. Loved the tone of the demo clips on YouTube...I'm sure I will equally love the tone when it arrives.

Anyway, nice looking, nice sounding, reasonably priced guitar and now I have something to put into my SKB LP case!

Photos are from PRS' website.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Ah so ya got it (mentioned in the other thread ) Congrats, looks like a beauty

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Great guitars. I’ve owned quite a few PRS guitars. Always very well built. I too suffer from the common problem well known by many musicians as... G.A.S.

In this market it’s always more fun to be the buyer. Enjoy your new acquisition and play in good health. Keep us posted as to how you get along with it.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 PM

Fantastic! Congrats on the ZM PRS. I too have bought a signature guitar without knowing who he was (in my case it was an Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul). PRS SE guitars really rock.

Needing to buy a guitar so you could fill an empty case - that's a new one .
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Purchased a used PRS SE Zach Myers electric guitar today from a seller on Reverb. Honestly, I was not really looking to acquire yet another guitar especially an electric guitar; especially since i recently (past 12 months) purchased a G&L ASAT Bluesboy, a Fender Players Series Strat and a Gibson ES-339 Studio; and especially because I am mainly an acoustic flattop and electric archtop guitarist.

Why then do i have so darn many semi-hollow and solid body electrics???

Anyway, I stumbled across the PRS SE Zach Myers sort of looking for something to fill an extra (but empty) SKB Les Paul case that I had in my closet. No kidding. There might be even crazier reasons to look for a guitar; but that's my story.

What I like about the PRS SE Zach Myers guitar:

1. First, I didn't know who Zach Myers was, until after listening to samples of the guitar on YouTube. (By the way, he seems like a very talented musician although not my genre of music.)

2. Wanted a Les Paul style (sized) guitar, but not a LP or LP knock off. A solid LP is a little too heavy for my liking.

3. Wanted something relatively inexpensive since this was a "nice to have" not a "need to have" purchase.

4. Love that it is a semi hollow guitar.

5. Love the finish and looks of the guitar...flamed maple top, interesting green color (I like it!), unfinished neck, wrap-around bridge, vintage Kluson Keystone tuners and bird inlays.

6. Loved the tone of the demo clips on YouTube...I'm sure I will equally love the tone when it arrives.

Anyway, nice looking, nice sounding, reasonably priced guitar and now I have something to put into my SKB LP case!

Photos are from PRS' website.
Ah...there it is. Nice...is yours in this Trampas Green (I think that's what they call it) color as well? I think PRS is very particular about their QC, even on their imports...hard to go wrong there.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Ah...there it is. Nice...is yours in this Trampas Green (I think that's what they call it) color as well? I think PRS is very particular about their QC, even on their imports...hard to go wrong there.
Yes! Trampas Green! I love it!

Interestingly, when first saw the color, I wondered if they made it in a more "traditional" finish...such as an antique violin. But the more I saw that green color, the more it grew on me. I think it is beautiful if not understated and blends nicely with the maple binding and the mahogany back and neck.

Also interestingly, today on my drive home from work, I went way out of my way to check out a new (to me) guitar store in Danville (Danville Music). Small shop that looks like it may do as much business giving lessons as they do selling guitars. Nice selection of electric and acoustic guitars including the PRS SE ZM in Trampas Green!

I actually got to play it a little. Beefy neck unlike anything I have ever owned. Normally, I don't like the thicker necks, but the shape and feel of the unfinished mahogany neck felt great to me!

Cannot wait until this guitar arrives next week!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Review to follow.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 PM

Haha, I have almost exactly the story. No idea who Zack Meyers was, didn't need another guitar, but I have a semi-hollow, hollow body disease [emoji16]
Found this one used less than a year old at a substantial discount. I immediately fell in love with the pre-sanded neck. It just fits me perfectly. I also really love the fit and finish of the fretboard. It's a very high quality guitar.
Just for fun I put some Seth Lovers in it. Though I like the stock pickups, these really give it a nice mellow PAF vibe.
Spectacular guitar for an initial investment of less than $500.
Congratulations!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP737 View Post
Haha, I have almost exactly the story. No idea who Zack Meyers was, didn't need another guitar, but I have a semi-hollow, hollow body disease [emoji16]
Found this one used less than a year old at a substantial discount. I immediately fell in love with the pre-sanded neck. It just fits me perfectly. I also really love the fit and finish of the fretboard. It's a very high quality guitar.
Just for fun I put some Seth Lovers in it. Though I like the stock pickups, these really give it a nice mellow PAF vibe.
Spectacular guitar for an initial investment of less than $500.
Congratulations!
Beautiful color and finish on your guitar! Thanks for posting a photo along with your comments.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post

Some are better than others. The ZM model is among the better imports.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM

I know it is subjective but can you hear it acusticly much?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 AM

A friend of mine got one, very nice guitar!
I thought the pickups were neutral to a fault, though I like pickups with more midrange punch.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:39 AM

Vaguely reminiscent of the newish Eric Johnson semi hollow body Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars