The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2023, 10:48 AM

Default My first solo acoustic gig is booked. I've got questions.

I'll be playing at a Senior assisted living facility in April. 45 min set. I've started to put together a set list and am confident I can do a decent job delivering the material.

My question is technology based. I'm going to buy a Fishman Loudbox mini and mic which should work well for this situation. I really want to add some harmonies and am looking at the TC Helicon Harmony Singer pedal.

But...I am thinking for the first (and hopefully not last gig there) to hold off on the pedal and just concentrate on the performance/singing/playing etc. My concern is having too much technology in the way.. extra cables, power strips, adjusting the knobs, mixing, stomping on it in the right places. I will be nervous enough without having to worry about all that stuff. Dealing with the amp and mic will be enough to keep me busy. Basically, keep it simple the first time.

If it goes well and I am asked back, I'll add the pedal and have the confidence to use it. Looking further down the road, the new Loudbox supports Bluetooth so adding backing tracks will be a possibility.

Any thoughts from you experienced giggers? Any other advice to offer? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTRGUY005; 03-20-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-20-2023, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

You really need to put in several hours of practice with the harmonizer before you take it to a gig. So it's up to you whether you have enough time to adequately practice with the harmonizer before you get to the gig. There's only one button you need to step on during the song to add harmonies so it's not that difficult to navigate. You have to put in the time to feel comfortable though. Good luck!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-20-2023, 11:23 AM

I use a Harmony Singer. Rule #1 is to use it sparingly. SPAR-ING-LY. It’s soooo easy to go overboard with one of those.

Echoing Mick’s thoughts, you may want to hold off. I’ve never done a senior center (though most of my usual crowd consists of seniors) it seems like it would be overkill in such a setting.

Having said that, to each his own.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:24 AM

I've been doing this for a few years now.

A strong vote for KEEP IT SIMPLE!

when I hear them, I dunno they just make things muddy and artificial

That's just my 2 cents

a strong performance will stand on its own merits

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:31 AM

Generally speaking, always use the K.I.S.S. rule. IMHO.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:45 AM

What I have learned about senior residences and children’s hospitals is that the audience really likes to sing along and participate in the show. My Play/Acoustic was great for guitar reinforcement but no vocal harmony programs were used.
That’s the last thing you will need at a show like these.

frank d.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for keeping it simple. Get your feet wet and see what works and what doesn't. You can always add harmonies or a looper later.

Good luck!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-20-2023, 11:47 AM

I use this amp (the battery powerd version, "Charge") too and I love it.
Settig up is ready in 10 minutes and you just focus on playing and your audience.
About the voice thingie, never tried one but I'd only take it to a gig when learned to be familiar with it.

Hope everything goes smooth and you enjoy it, your audience most likely will.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
My goal: 3-4 paid gigs per week.
I'm halfway there.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:49 AM

Yep, I'd stay as simple as possible for the first gig. Meanwhile, get really comfortable with the tech and use it for the next (and any other) gigs if you like it. Anything you do "on stage" should feel (and appear) like second nature to you. Best of luck on the gig!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-20-2023, 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm going to hold off the pedal for at least the first gig. As some of you have said...it may not be needed for this type of situation. I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Generally speaking, always use the K.I.S.S. rule. IMHO.
Beat me to it
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-20-2023, 12:07 PM

When I decided that I wanted to take my music to assisted living homes, I called several of the homes in my area and asked to play for them.
I now rotate through 22 different homes throughout the year.

What I have learned so far is that these people love live music and they DO like to hear familiar songs.
Some will sing along and others will just tap their toes and enjoy the music.

I have a Voice Harmonizer but have never felt it would be needed at assisted living shows.
Simple is best.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
I'll be playing at a Senior assisted living facility in April. 45 min set. I've started to put together a set list and am confident I can do a decent job delivering the material.

My question is technology based. I'm going to buy a Fishman Loudbox mini and mic which should work well for this situation. I really want to add some harmonies and am looking at the TC Helicon Harmony Singer pedal.

But...I am thinking for the first (and hopefully not last gig there) to hold off on the pedal and just concentrate on the performance/singing/playing etc. My concern is having too much technology in the way.. extra cables, power strips, adjusting the knobs, mixing, stomping on it in the right places. I will be nervous enough without having to worry about all that stuff. Dealing with the amp and mic will be enough to keep me busy. Basically, keep it simple the first time.

If it goes well and I am asked back, I'll add the pedal and have the confidence to use it. Looking further down the road, the new Loudbox supports Bluetooth so adding backing tracks will be a possibility.

Any thoughts from you experienced giggers? Any other advice to offer? Thanks in advance.
My few experiances at senior centers has been positive, but if you REALLY want steady call backs make sure to include a good proportion of material THEY will know and invite THEM to provide the "backing vocals" in the form of a sing along.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:46 PM

When I first started playing out again after a long hiatus, I bought a harmonizer but as it was really a kind of confidence booster. I stopped using it fairly quickly because it really doesn't add much and there is a real danger in over-using it. I sold it.

This audience will be very happy you are there and they will love what you do with out a lot of bells and whistles, and anyway, as others have said, it is always better to keep it simple.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

One other thing. I used to play a lot of assisted living homes before the pandemic. Like most other folks I thought they'd really enjoy slower, quieter old songs. I quickly found out I was dead wrong there!! Now when people ask me about playing those places, my advice is to play it like a biker bar. They want the hear the fastest most upbeat stuff you can do. I'd leave those 1 hour gigs more sweaty and tired than a 3 hour gig in the rowdiest bar. Those old folks want to tap their toes and cut loose!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification