The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of wireless if you are a solo performer playing smaller venues? Isn't it just adding more "stuff"? I use a wireless in my band for my mandolin but it's generally because the stages are large and I have about four instruments so I am trying to cut down on cables.
I'm a solo performer who was constantly stepping on or getting otherwise impeded by my guitar cable, maybe I'm just a klutz, and I find it easier to haul out two very small wireless jacks compared to lugging another cable out (though I always have it stashed in my backup gear). I also find it very freeing to dash out and quickly greet friends between songs, or for whatever other reason. Last of all, I use two guitars for my full three-hour gigs, and it's easier for me to unplug-replug that little transmitter than wrestling with the cable.

In theory the wireless setup also would allow me to check levels out in the venue with a looper in play, but that would only cover my guitar and I've yet to do it.

It's all personal preference. Things that drive me nuts don't even register on other, possibly more well-adjusted, people.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'm a solo performer who was constantly stepping on or getting otherwise impeded by my guitar cable, maybe I'm just a klutz, and I find it easier to haul out two very small wireless jacks compared to lugging another cable out (though I always have it stashed in my backup gear). I also find it very freeing to dash out and quickly greet friends between songs, or for whatever other reason. Last of all, I use two guitars for my full three-hour gigs, and it's easier for me to unplug-replug that little transmitter than wrestling with the cable.

In theory the wireless setup also would allow me to check levels out in the venue with a looper in play, but that would only cover my guitar and I've yet to do it.

It's all personal preference. Things that drive me nuts don't even register on other, possibly more well-adjusted, people.
Same for me. I'm always walking out from my perch to talk to patrons, friends or to order my food for the night. Not to mention soundchecks. Also I love to loop and walk around and play lead and remind all the folks there that I'm here playing music for them. But as far as spending $500 for something like this when my $50 amazon plug in stick works just fine is a hard "what the heck for" for me. Sure you can convince yourself that "you get what you pay for" and that can be true. But in this case my cheap wireless plugs have been doing the job. I even did some tests where I switched back and forth and non of my friends in the audience could tell any difference
Old 03-08-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I wonder what the advantage is of this system over the $65 or so I spent on my generic wireless jacks, other than the two bands I guess. Better sound quality? I do notice a difference in tone comparing mine to cable, but it's easily tunable via EQ.
same here. My $50 wireless Amazon plug in sticks have been working great for me for over a year now. I can't see spending $500 when I get the same end result for $50. That's a 1000% price difference! Some people just have to have name brands on all their gear to feel good I guess, which I kind of understand. Whatever floats your boat. For me, there's got to be a really good reason to spend that much on something like this.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
If you are talking about the system I think you are then it will come down to better tone (those systems change the tone a bit). Also it should have a longer range and be more reliable in certain environments.

I would much rather use the Sennheiser XSW systems but they have a serious issue with their batteries (and can not even be replaced by the user).

Also the battery life is much greater. I always worry about this when I play a wedding and most of the smaller systems only last for 4 hours. The Shure lasts 3 times longer.
So buy 2 of them if you are worried about battery life! You will still have $400 more in your pocket. The "better tone" is debatable and I doubt anyone will notice. Plus you can EQ it back to where you like it. As far as "range" goes, that might be a possibility but my cheap plug ins work fine up to about 50 feet and I rarely need to stray that farther than that from the transmitter. If you are a Pro touring musician who needs the best of the best gear, then by all means, get this $500 guitar cord replacement. But for the rest of local bar players, its overkill for sure.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:52 AM

Fair points. I have never walked out to the crowd to talk to people or loop/solo. I generally don't play places where I am level with the crowd though so there's that. I do like the freedom of eq'ing my guitar out front during soundcheck but to be honest, even with the option, I rarely do it. It's hard to mix with an ipad while also carrying around a guitar/mandolin.

As for the cheaper wireless systems, they work but they are noisy. Most people would not notice but I have tried about 8-10 by this point and the only noiseless one has been the Line 6 G10. The rest added some level of hiss or interference. I also don't trust the cheaper ones in terms of producing the best tone.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
If you are talking about the system I think you are then it will come down to better tone (those systems change the tone a bit). Also it should have a longer range and be more reliable in certain environments.

I would much rather use the Sennheiser XSW systems but they have a serious issue with their batteries (and can not even be replaced by the user).

Also the battery life is much greater. I always worry about this when I play a wedding and most of the smaller systems only last for 4 hours. The Shure lasts 3 times longer.
I really wanted to love the XSW but found it noisy for the price. Quite a bit of hiss added to my signal.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I really wanted to love the XSW but found it noisy for the price. Quite a bit of hiss added to my signal.
Interesting! I never found that but it goes to show that a lot of this is based on the environment...
Old 03-08-2023, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Petty,
I was wondering the same thing. I have a set of NuX BR5 that have worked perfectly for over a year now. I had a G10 but didnt like the way it protruded, and even broke one. Then came the fire-hazard recall. Thats when I got the NUX, and havent looked back. Still use a cable at least half the time out of habit.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-08-2023, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Petty,
I was wondering the same thing. I have a set of NuX BR5 that have worked perfectly for over a year now. I had a G10 but didnt like the way it protruded, and even broke one. Then came the fire-hazard recall. Thats when I got the NUX, and havent looked back. Still use a cable at least half the time out of habit.
I had many issues with the NUX as well. It will be interesting to see if the Shure is 100%...
Old 03-09-2023, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I've tried to go wireless a couple of times, usually on bass where I'm actually playing standing for some gigs. I never thought the juice was worth the squeeze. All my guitar (and current) bass gigs I'm playing seated on a stool, so there is no advantage to wireless so I just stay plugged in. Wireless is just one more system to fail, and as they say, Murphy goes on every gig...
Wireless has it's place. But, like everything else, they make good ones, and cheap ones.

The first system I ever bought when wireless was new. Was very inexpensive. Ant the latency was so bad, I used it for one set, threw it in the trash, and finished the gig with a cable.

When I got the E-V Unit, it was much better. Used that for 5 years or so. Was also using digital effects at the time. So, everything was coloring tone.

Even if you're playing into a U-87, it colors the tone.

But, U-87 paints a pretty picture.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Interesting! I never found that but it goes to show that a lot of this is based on the environment...
The interference I can see being due to the environment, the hiss to me would be more a part of the unit itself. I think a lot of these wireless systems are acting like a buffer and some increase the background hiss. For whatever reason, the Line 6 G10 (original) is dead silent. It's the only simple (no belt clip etc) system that I have used that's been flawless.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Petty,
Yeah, that's one downside of the G10. It does stick out quite a bit. That fire hazard issue was a pain though. If I remember correctly, only a few people had this happen to them. I am not even sure if it was that many! Once they did the firmware update, it messed up a lot of systems. I have never done the update and don't plan to as my unit has been perfect and I never leave it just plugged in sitting there. It's only used at shows.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The interference I can see being due to the environment, the hiss to me would be more a part of the unit itself. I think a lot of these wireless systems are acting like a buffer and some increase the background hiss. For whatever reason, the Line 6 G10 (original) is dead silent. It's the only simple (no belt clip etc) system that I have used that's been flawless.
Only problem with the Line 6 system is you can't use it with active pickup systems
Old 03-09-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Only problem with the Line 6 system is you can't use it with active pickup systems
True but most of the more affordable options discussed here also don’t work with active pickups despite their claims that they do.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
True but most of the more affordable options discussed here also don’t work with active pickups despite their claims that they do.
Exactly, because of the guitar strap mounted design the Shure it will work with any system as well as have the improved sound and battery life. That is as long as it works as advertised.

I should add that my main use for the Shure is not guitar but for speeches at Weddings etc. where reliability is even more important as I do not want the mic to cut out at the event.

With the Shure you can use the transmitter with either the wireless Shure mic or the guitar transmitter so it is nice and flexible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification