The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2023, 10:43 AM

Default Sitar effect on D string

Good everyone, I had a luthier build me a Classical Guitar with Brazilian Rosewood and Alpine Spruce top. It is absolutely amazing with one quirky exception. The D string if played anywhere other than directly on the fret has a sitar effect. I’ve changed the that string to no avail. I took it back to him and he replaced the strings, nut, bridge, frets, and has checked all the bracing without any improvement. Any thoughts on what else may cause this? It does this from first fret down to the bottom. Open and on the fret no issues. Thanks
Old 02-11-2023, 05:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I didn't quite follow your description

What notes are effected? Is it related to a specific pitch? A specific string?

If it is one note, can you duplicate the same effect on a different string at the same pitch?

I will be around for a few more hours ... feel free to give me a call (got to fayguitars.com ... bottom of the page for my number).
Old 02-11-2023, 07:24 PM

It is the D string only fingering each note from 1st fret to the last if not directly on the fret. All notes on other strings are fine.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Does it happen if you fret the d string on two frets? Put one finger on the 2nd fret and another on the third fret at the same time.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar thing happen with a steel string acoustic guitar, except on the B string. It turned out the nut slots were filed too low. I placed a very thin plastic shim under the nut and the problem went away.

A good local guitar tech or repair person should be able to look at your guitar and give you a better diagnosis.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-11-2023, 10:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, you can deduce a couple things:

It's not a wolf tone or brace issue or anything like that. Playing the same note on a different string would result in the same problem.

It's either a fret issue, tuner issue, bridge/saddle issue, or nut issue. If it is happening on the open string -- then most likely nut or tuning machine problem.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Good everyone, I had a luthier build me a Classical Guitar with Brazilian Rosewood and Alpine Spruce top. It is absolutely amazing with one quirky exception. The D string if played anywhere other than directly on the fret has a sitar effect. I’ve changed the that string to no avail. I took it back to him and he replaced the strings, nut, bridge, frets, and has checked all the bracing without any improvement. Any thoughts on what else may cause this? It does this from first fret down to the bottom. Open and on the fret no issues. Thanks
If an open (non fretted) string does not have that buzz than the rest of your discription eliminates a number of possibilities. You can get string buzzes originating right on the fret
crown (though usually more pronounced on strings 5 and 6) which would be less or absent pressing right on the fret or a bit behind it using more fretting pressure. What is the fret
material? (nickle silver, stainless steel, EVO gold). I posted about this type of buzz on a thread I started ("Fret crown shape buzz") a few years back.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 02-11-2023 at 11:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
brazilian rosewood, classical, sitar