The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Default A Travel Guitar

Wifey and I are planning my vacation and now that I've gotten to where I'm playing an hour and a half or more a day, the idea of being without a guitar for 8 or 10 days is pretty screwed up. I'm not going to take a full-sized guitar on the plane, but a travel guitar sounds interesting.

I'm sure you folks have discussed this subject quite a few times, but I haven't seen it since I've been here. A few questions:
1. A 24" or travel guitar can be carry-on, right?
2. Do any of you recommend any particular brand/model that you own?
3. Any one you recommend against?
4. I saw Martin's got one for just $195. Is the only thing about it that's Martin the name on it, or does it convey some actual guitar quality?

I thank you in advance for whatever answers you might have.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a Voyage-Air VA-OM2 which is an all laminate OM that the neck folds back onto the top of the guitar at the 14th fret I believe. Once unfolded and locked into place you have a full size guitar. In the folded position it fits in all but the smallest overheads on planes. I've had to gate check when flying a CRJ. Being all laminate you don't have to worry much about it. And it sounds pretty darn good for what it is. I never play it at home but it's a great travel companion. Of course you can get a solid top and even solid back and sides if you so desire but to me that sort of defeats the purpose? Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
4. I saw Martin's got one for just $195. Is the only thing about it that's Martin the name on it, or does it convey some actual guitar quality?
Really? This is new?
I paid quite a bit more for my Martin LXME, it is what it is and what it ain't is good tone.
Yes, it does have a nice Martin logo on the headstock.
Maybe you were looking at the Martin Backpacker?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

howdy!
there's lots of posts here on the forum - just search "travel guitar"/
here's a link to one of my recent posts on the topic of my love for my Voyage Air OM4

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=426257

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM

I have small collection of travel guitars, and the one I grab most often it the Blackbird Rider. It's extremely portable, tough as nails carbon fiber construction, full scale neck, and outstanding tone. It's priced at $1685, and well worth it IMO.

Speaking of price, what is your budget?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Default Thanks all

Riverwolf: yes, the one I saw was new. Here's an ad.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DAVGBPC?siid=953
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I'd say to focus on the Voyage-Air or a Taylor GS Mini... both are a lot of fun to play and quite adaptable to travel, either car or plane...

The Martin Backpacker is a joke, honestly... you would be better served to buy a $300 guitar (like the Breedlove Discovery Series) and take your chances walking it on the airplane than you would be wasting your money on the Backpacker, in my opinion.

I believe there's a new-ish law in place that mandates airlines allowing guitars on board...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Voyage Air OM 6 for me. It is a full size ON that can go in most overheads. It has traveled the world with me and is a great guitar!

FYI. Saw one of the solid wood models for sale in the classifieds.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 07-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Guest 728

I traded in my POS Martin Backpacker for a Gretsch Jim Dandy. It's not only a good travel guitar, it's a pretty fun guitar for just sittin' on the couch and playing the blues. Hard to beat at $169.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Wifey and I are planning my vacation and now that I've gotten to where I'm playing an hour and a half or more a day, the idea of being without a guitar for 8 or 10 days is pretty screwed up. I'm not going to take a full-sized guitar on the plane, but a travel guitar sounds interesting.

I'm sure you folks have discussed this subject quite a few times, but I haven't seen it since I've been here. A few questions:
1. A 24" or travel guitar can be carry-on, right?
2. Do any of you recommend any particular brand/model that you own?
3. Any one you recommend against?

I thank you in advance for whatever answers you might have.
I had a Little Martin, and a Washburn Rover prior to buying a Voyage Air for my travel guitar. I used it for about four years, it's a great guitar, then realized I wasn't flying with a guitar much anymore so I sold it here in the classifieds.

Here a couple of questions I'd suggest you consider:
•How much do you think you'll be using it as a travel guitar? (That will influence what you're willing to pay.)
•What type of planes might you be flying on? (When I lived on Hilton Head Island I knew I'd always start on a prop.)
•Are your guitars insured with musician's insurance so if anything happens to one of your current guitars if you travel with it it will be covered?
•Would it make better sense to invest in a good travel case for one of your current guitars?
•How important is the quality of the sound of your travel guitar?
•Is it important that you be able to carry on the guitar and not check it? (If so, forget getting a good case for one of your current guitars.)

If you're just looking for a guitar to play and the quality of sound isn't that important, you could check out the Safari series of Luna guitars. Not the greatest guitars but the size is right and they're a lot more playable than the Martin backpacker.

There are a lot of good small guitars that will work for travel. I'm sure others will have a lot of suggestions, let us know your budget and that will help. Have fun on your trip.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 PM

I travel with my Taylor GS Mini M. Great sound, great playability, small enough to fit in an overhead, rugged.

A CA Cargo is also a great traveler.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:35 PM

Journey Overhead. If you don't know anything about these guitars, google them and learn. Very happy with mine.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 PM

+1 for a carbon fiber travel guitar. Mine is a Emerald X5. Impervious to most temperature and humidity changes, durable, and provides a nice tone.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Wow. Ask for answers and ye shall receive

Much to look at here folks, thanks.
Regarding your questions gmaute:
--I don't suspect I would seriously use it more than twice a year. When I saw some folks' suggestion of $1600-1800 guitars I was thinkin' they're better paid than I am!
--To my knowledge now, full-sized jets. If I go see my buddy in Missoula that would change...
--No insurance at this point.
--Regarding taking a good guitar--I don't think I want to do that.
--Given that I would only use it seriously a couple of 3 times a year, the guitar wouldn't have to be exceptional. I just can't imagine going days on end without playing.
--I pretty much don't want to check the guitar; I want to carry it.
Thanks.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

sent you a pm...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion