The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
How many guitars have you owned in total and how many of those were used? Also how do you feel about buying used, what's the experience?
LeDave, I've seen your picture and see that you are very young, certainly compared to me (72).

I bough my first three guitars new back in the '60s, I doubt that i could remember all the guitars I've bought and sold.

I buy mostly used - warranties don't mean much here in the UK.

To buy used, you need to know what you want and to assess the condition yourself.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I own 3 used guitars, 1 used bass.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:20 PM

I've bought about an equal number of both used and new.

I've decided the only distinct benefit of buying used is the fact that you can get much more guitar (subjectively speaking) buying used, letting the first owner take the hit.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Well, as I was far from any big city and got much time to study guitar between 2006 and 2016, I most probably got some thirty something guitars, I would estimate twenty bought used and ten to fifteen bought brand new. Each guitar was in fact ending a quest. I was looking with scrutiny at pictures and never got any crappy guitar.

I would say the most important things to look for, besides cracks, are used frets, bowed neck and bridge nut shaved too low with flat angle of first string behind nut at bridge : Do not hesitate to ask close up of the bridge and profile photo of the neck at twelvth fret to disclose action problems and non described neck reset or need of neck reset.

Last edited by mawmow; 08-03-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:52 PM

I've owned 8 used guitars and 5 new i think. Interesting to count, i thought i had more new than used over the years. Of the 5 guitars I currently own, 4 of them were purchased new though and I thin n the reason is that I live in a low population province, and in an somewhat isolated area of it, as ive gotten older and my guitar tastes have become more specific, it's almost impossible to find what I'm looking for used, there's lots on reverb but most coming from the u.s and the exchange rate rakes me over the coals, so I guess geographical reasons for more new purchases now.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:09 PM

I've bought 15 guitars of which 3 were used. Of those 3, I still have 2 - both are exceptional guitars and I got them at very reasonable prices. The third was a smaller bodied Seagull which didn't work out for me tone-wise so it moved along to a new home after I did a little work and improved the action. All in all, with some knowledge and attention to detail there are countless good deals available out there.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM

145 documented guitars, about 200 others just passing through.

344 used, 1 new.

Last edited by H165; 08-06-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:28 PM

I've bought 6-7 used over the years. All were good experiences.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:36 PM

Since I bought my first guitar--it was new--in 1973, I've purchased four more new guitars and two used.

I love the smell of a new guitar. My Martin Custom D was especially pungent, but that went away after about ten years.

Of the seven guitars I've ever purchased, five remain in the herd. One was traded away and one was given away.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:40 PM

I don't know how many guitars I've owned - about 25. Most of them were used. I would always buy used if what I wanted was available. None of my used instruments were any different from the new ones.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I've owned probably 40 in my lifetime with the vast majority in the last 8 years since finding this little oasis called AGF. 7 were bought new. I love buying used guitars because it allows for them to be sold or traded off with no loss of money. I did this for several years as I honed in on what I wanted, needed, liked and disliked about acoustic guitars. I did the vast majority of my buying/selling/trading here on AGF but in the last few years as I've slowed down significantly I tend to do more buying and selling on Reverb. Nearly all of my experiences have been excellent. None were bad. Some were nerve-wracking mostly due to shipping delays and just a couple were annoying beyond all get out but those two cases were dealing with a certain individual that jerked me around. It should be noted that in the end I did not make any sort of deal with this person. I let him string me along WAY too long!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
How many guitars have you owned in total and how many of those were used? Also how do you feel about buying used, what's the experience?
We have a bunch of guitars in the house, mostly acoustic. I've sold about as many as I own. Most have been new, but I've purchased a few used ones too. There are tradeoffs between new and used, but the recent increases in used guitars prices have pushed my into buying new. Also, the used guitar buying experience can depend on the seller and selling platform as much as the guitar.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
145 documented guitars, about 200 others just passing through.

344 used, 1 new.

Brad
OMG

I have bought 11 guitars, three new. I have sold several guitars, also, and will sell two more when the pandemic clears, thinning the herd.

I like to buy used because I don't care about scratches, dings, etc. It adds mojo to the guitar. I care about the tone and play-ability.

I have only bought one guitar sight unseen, a new Guild D50, which I had played several in person before the purchase, and I have no regrets. I've had the guitar for 12 years and have had NO adjustments or work done on it.

I buy all my used guitars in person so I can inspect them and play them. Of course, living in L.A. there are a lot of guitars on Craigslist.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I've bought two new acoustic guitars, A martin Custom 00 15 12 fret, and a Pono OP12-30, bought at blowout sale a few years back.

Then there is the used but not so old Martin D 35 Custom.

Then i'd have to add used but old. Not going to use the term vintage.

Buying them is very like buying a car. New is new. The right make newish used from the right maker is likely to be trouble free. Then there is the 60 Ford Falcon that could be anything form a candidate for a total rebuild, a creampuff owned by a little old lady, or a complete restoration.

Very different risk factors. I bought my 70 Guild D 35 cheap knowing it would be a money pit. I bought my 65 Texan knowing that a good shop had looked it over and a month later when the bridge was showing signs of lifting, reglued the bridge gratis. Bought my 07 Martin D 35 from Bryan Kimsey knowing it had a bunch of trouble free miles left on it.

eBay is eBay, and Craigslist is Craigslist. I have a friend who is fond of buying clean top dollar guitars, Collings, Martin Authentics and the like, and sells them on Craigslist when he moves on, then there is the other element of seller. looking to get too much for a guitar that needs a bunch of work. If you know what you are doing, it can work for you.

I have a high degree of confidence in AGF classifieds too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have a friend who is fond of buying clean top dollar guitars, Collings, Martin Authentics and the like, and sells them on Craigslist when he moves on,
I need a friend like this! Or least someone around here that does this. I only occasionally see an acoustic over 1k on craigslist around here and they usually want what you get them for new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion