The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2020, 01:11 PM

Default Picked up a SDOTD - Gemini 'stick' line array

$300 for the PA-300BT system. I knew the limitations of the controls - no tone controls, just limited DSP choices, terrible reverb. 2 combo XLR inputs plus a bluetooth/aux input.

It arrived yesterday, hooked it up this morning.
First tried guitar and mic direct into the inputs. Yep, the 'reverb' is a horrible slap-back echo (simple delay circuit?) Sound was not too harsh.
Next, hooked up my TC Helicon Play Acoustic, with the same settings I've been using for DIing to my Focusrite 8i6 for online streaming. Left the inputs selected to 'mic', with separate lines from the PA to the Gemini and the volume was huge, had to turn the mic gain way down. Did not try switching the inputs to Line, as the sound was much better - guitar was smoother with the PA's IR setting, and the PA's reverb sounded good though the Gemini.
Next I went from the PA to my Mackie mixer, then a single line out to the Gemini. Volume was lower, obviously the mixer's line out is lower then the PA, but I had plenty of leeway with mixer track faders and main fader. The ability for real time EQ is a plus, of course.

Feedback - getting my Taylor dread near the bass unit of the Gemini caused low end rumble feedback pretty quickly. Had to get my Shure SM58 mic 'behind' the line of sound coming from the Gemini stick, whose specs indicate a 120 degree dispersion pattern, otherwise turning up the volume got a high screech feedback. (Sorry, neighbors!)

All this try-out was inside in my place, not a live set up, but I feel I could get a pretty comfortable sound from this for a small venue or outside where I'm playing background music. Having this as monitor and 'front' speaker and a couple of speakers on stands would be acceptable for larger venues.
Of course how long this unit lasts under working conditions is yet to be seen.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 PM

Cool! Thanks for the write up. I once had a Bose L1C and found the bass lacking on. So I sold it to finance a Yamaha Stagepas 1K which sounds amazing on the bass and really good overall. I get more headroom and better sound with a mixer plumbed into it, which kinda defeats the purpose of this type of system. I get very good sound from a single 10 (Yamaha DBR10) that weighs half as much and cost 1/3 as much. I guess if the pefect stick system existed, there wouldn't need to be a dozen and a half of them on the market. I have two Gemini products and one of them failed after very little use -- the tweeter went, and I tried to replace it, but the amp circuit board for the tweeter is the problem and costs twice what I paid for the unit. The other one has been my living room tv soundbar for a year and it sounds good and is going strong. These are both the 15" DJ Party Pack PA speaker that GC sold for like $125.
Hopefully your Gemini stick system holds up and treats you well.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:58 AM

I bought a Gemini powered 10" speaker about 6 years ago as a SDOTD for $99. Sound was way too harsh to use as a main speaker, so I have used it as a floor wedge monitor when needed. It's still working, so like much of that Asian-built cheap electronics, its very hit or miss.
My full PA set up is 3 carrying loads by itself (speakers, stand bag, mixer in bag and cable bag), trying to cut things down for solo shows, so will try the TC Helicon PA + Gemini stick - if and when I ever get a solo gig again!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-03-2020, 01:47 AM

I had one for awhile and I have a Bose L1c to compare it to. I will say that having the bass unit by itself is a decent sub-woofer to add to another system and weights maybe 15 lbs. So that's worth the unit alone. It plays music great but you have to choose the right DSP setting on the back for playing guitar through it. Mixer always helps too.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:23 AM

Had the chance to play with this yesterday.
Set up was SHure SM58 and Taylor 310ce (ES1.3) plugged into TC Helicon Play Acoustic, with acoustic IR for the guitar and reverb on the vocal.
First thing I noticed, when setting up, is that I had to turn the PA's volume output down, I had it set for full, which seemed to be fine for plugging into my Focusrite 8i6 for Zooming. I couldn't get more than a notch out of the Gemini's vocal channel before feedback, with the unit set up about 5 feet to the side of my mic. I turned down the PA's output to 80%
Master volume was at about 9 o'clock for the following video - could have put it up a bit more, but I was primarily interested in hearing the camera record the amplified sound, not my acoustic sound - camera was about 8 feet away. Overall, I'm happy with the sound as it is, would definitely work for a solo show.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-05-2022, 09:43 AM

Used the Gemini at a gig for the first time last month, with my usual Mackie mixer for reverb/EQ capabilities. Was a little easier moving/setting up, of course, no speaker stands, etc.
This was in a fairly large room (35x50), a busy farmers market/christmas sale and I was set up in 1 corner.
I have no idea how well I could be heard, if at all, on the far side of the room, of course, but I had talked to all the vendors who were near to me before i started and told them that if I was too loud (so they could talk to their customers) to let me know.
The volume seemed ok to me, I could hear myself with the stick set up to one side, about 5 feet away, and people who stopped to listen (and little kids who listened and danced) had no comments regarding the sound.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification