The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: How do the ES-2 and ES-B compare in a live setting?
ES-2 and ES-B basically the same--just a difference in output 2 66.67%
ES-2 is substantially better than ES-B in sound quality 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Taylor Pickups: ES-2 vs. ES-B?

Hi All,

A few years ago, Taylor stopped including ES-2's in the GS mini series and instead began installing ES-B pickups. Now, only the GS Mini Koa Plus has the ES-2.

The ES-B uses the same pickup mechanism as the ES-2, but is a lower-powered version of the pickup with only one tone control knob (low pass filter to roll off treble). ES-B also includes a tuner and has longer battery life.

I have heard that the ES-B is less ideal for live performances, but why? Has anyone A/B'd the ES-B vs. ES-2 on the GS Mini Koa Standard vs. Koa Plus? Comparing a GS mini with ES-B to a full-sized Taylor with ES-2 seems to be an unfair comparison.

QUESTION: Is there a clear sound quality difference between ES-B and ES-2, or is the primary difference that the ES-2 has a hotter output and less tonal control?

I'm also curious to hear opinions about how ES-2 sounds compared to ES-1 (1.1, 1.2, 1.3), even though that pickup is retired. To my ear, ES-1 carries the high end "sparkle" better, but ES-2 carries the bass and resonance and is less metallic sounding.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts!

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 07-31-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPower16 View Post
Hi All,

A few years ago, Taylor stopped including ES-2's in the GS mini series and instead began installing ES-B pickups. Now, only the GS Mini Koa Plus has the ES-2.

The ES-B uses the same pickup mechanism as the ES-2, but is a lower-powered version of the pickup with only one tone control knob (low pass filter to roll off treble). ES-B also includes a tuner and has longer battery life.

I have heard that the ES-B is less ideal for live performances, but why? Has anyone A/B'd the ES-B vs. ES-2 on the GS Mini Koa Standard vs. Koa Plus? Comparing a GS mini with ES-B to a full-sized Taylor with ES-2 seems to be an unfair comparison.

QUESTION: Is there a clear sound quality difference between ES-B and ES-2, or is the primary difference that the ES-2 has a hotter output and less tonal control?

I'm also curious to hear opinions about how ES-2 sounds compared to ES-1 (1.1, 1.2, 1.3), even though that pickup is retired. To my ear, ES-1 carries the high end "sparkle" better, but ES-2 carries the bass and resonance and is less metallic sounding.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts!
I recently traded in my 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa with the full-fledged ES2 and it sounded great--professional-level amplified tone that surprised me on its fullness and response. I've not played any Taylors with the ES-B so I can't comment on its tone in comparison to the ES2.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-31-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:29 PM

I think the ES-B with the handy tuner, more logical location, and a simple treble control is the way to go for a lower end casual play instrument. I've used both though not at the same time. The ES-2 pickup itself, like most of the well known SBTs, is a flat response system and the preamp is for buffering and features, not basic sound.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 AM

The ESb and ES2 are the same, but the ESb has a tuner and uses 6v flat batteries. The ES2 has no tuner and uses 9 volt batteries. Sound wise, no difference except what the wood of the guitar gives it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
es-2, es-b, koa, taylor gs mini