The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2019, 05:18 AM

Default Tuning down when to replace a gauge?

I've been experimenting with different tunings and have just been wondering ur thoughts of when to replace a certain string with a certain gauge?

Anything down more than a whole step would u generally go up a guage in diameter for that string? I'm using lights 52 11. The thought process of this is new to me.

1 1/2 - 2 whole steps down from g to e (+1 extra gauge for that string.)

2 1/2 whole steps down from g to d (+2 extra gauge for that string.)

2 1/2 steps is low so should I use a 2nd but lighter d string to replace the g string? I already have the first d string down 2 half steps down to c.

Or would u go up a guage from tuning down a string for each whole step down and so on?

1 whole step down low and high e ( +1 extra gauge for those two strings)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:32 AM

Yes basic rule is that if you play in altered tunings, which are mainly detuned from concert pitch, go for thicker gauge strings. I wouldn't recommend the lights you are using and there is no simple formula really as a lot will depend on your guitar, its setup and of course what music you play and your playing style (eg pick vs fingerstyle).

If you play in several different tunings (as I do) you can't possibly keep swapping out individual strings for each tune, so you have to be comfortable with a compromise set.

I play numbers in about 9 different tunings, DADGAD being most common. I use medium lights (12- 54) except I swap out the top string for a 13. A couple of my numbers have the sixth tuned to C. Now ideally that would be a 56 gauge as 54 is a little flappy and buzzy, but 56 is too thick/tight for me when I go back up to standard, so I compromise with what works best for most tunes I play.

HTH.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 09-07-2019, 05:33 AM

I'm assuming that you are tuned in open G now, and with extra light strings? Whew! Tuned down a fourth? My guitars wouldn't do that even with medium strings - the intonation would be terrible, if nothing else. I suggest you get a baritone, or just try to learn other alternate tunings. Open D is just like open G with the scales moved over one string.

Good luck with that project! I've got a baritone I would sell you, but shipping would kill us.

Stan
Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking. Swapping the 2 e,s for a 13 and originally a 53 but I will also try a 54. I guess it's trial and error. I'm thinking for one tuning I have a g tuned.right down to d so I'm not sure what to do there.

Have you ever tuned an 11 e down to c pitch? Im wondering what would fit here? You are right in that I don't want to thick. The strings I would be tuning would be e bass and g b and e upper, possibly +2 extra gauges for these.

I need to get some strings and experiment. I use seperate tunings for two guitars.

Oh it's not open g. I just tune notes to where I like and explore things that way. Yeah a baritone would be great although I'm ok at present with these guitars. But great idea.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I've used 12-54 for dadgad with no problems as well as CGDGCD. I like the tone better with medium 13-56. This is for standard length guitars though. Shorter scales might be a different story.

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C
Furch Yellow
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT

And others....

Ciuil Amoigh:
Old 09-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Yes I think you are right. 13 or 14 for the e. I guess it's just trying a couple. I agree might be different on a slightly shorter scale. You can actually get away with a lot. It doesn't always have to be scientifically correct. As long as intonation is generally in pitch. Sometimes wired intonation can be fun for certain things. IL have to check these tension calculators out for a reference though...
Old 09-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Phoenix, every time Iíve experimented with lower tunings Iíve had to use the trial and error approach every time: there doesnít seem to be one formula that works equally well for every guitar. But starting with .011 to .052 strings (which are extra lights in my book) and then tuning down with those strings is far too light. I think youíll get better results faster if you start with mediums and experiment with replacing individual strings from there.

If you have more than one guitar, to me it makes sense to keep one in standard tuning with those extra lights on it and have another guitar that you use for tunings with whatever string gauges work best. As I mentioned earlier, itís a trial and error process figuring out which gauges will work best for the various tunings that you use, but thatís part of the fun!

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion