The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Interesting I was getting about 82 on my phone for the x30-12 and about 84 for my louder ones. Although I tend to play on the lighter side. I was measuring about 18-24" away about 12" below the sound hole

Btw as others have mentioned a 3 db is actually audible although not a huge difference in perceived volume.
Like I said not a canon but not quiet either.

I am assuming you are using the stock Daddario 39s?

https://www.e2s.com/references-and-g...lex%20factors.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-04-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeorge View Post
Well I tried a test of the decibles between the X30 12 and some wood quitars that I considered quite loud. The results really surprised me, although I don't know the difference a few decibles makes.

The X30 12 got to 82-84 decibles max.

The wood guitars (all Iris) got to between 85-87 decibles max.

There does not seem to be that much difference!

I think what fooled me was the non-directionality of the Emerald. I would be very interested to hear it in front of the guitar with someone else playing it, but I don't have any guitar playing friends nearby.

I think I need to say, "I stand corrected!"
Pick a large window or sliding glass door - stand a couple feet away from it, facing it, and play away... it will reflect back plenty of sound to give you an idea of what it sounds like in front of it.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Interesting I was getting about 82 on my phone for the x30-12 and about 84 for my louder ones. Although I tend to play on the lighter side. I was measuring about 18-24" away about 12" below the sound hole

Btw as others have mentioned a 3 db is actually audible although not a huge difference in perceived volume.
Like I said not a canon but not quiet either.

I am assuming you are using the stock Daddario 39s?

https://www.e2s.com/references-and-g...lex%20factors.
I have GHS PB 12-52 on my Emerald. I had my phone on my leg, so closer than where you measured from.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Pick a large window or sliding glass door - stand a couple feet away from it, facing it, and play away... it will reflect back plenty of sound to give you an idea of what it sounds like in front of it.
Thanks Captain Jim, I will try that.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
3 dB is twice the power, but only just perceptible to a human. You might try holding or clamping the meter near your ear to see if it is much different where you are.
I could experiment with different placings of my phone but I can't hold it as I need both hands to strum the guitar.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeorge View Post
I could experiment with different placings of my phone but I can't hold it as I need both hands to strum the guitar.
Just duct tape it to a stand or something. Moving a noise meter even a little bit, or pointing it different directions can change the readings by a fair amount.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just duct tape it to a stand or something. Moving a noise meter even a little bit, or pointing it different directions can change the readings by a fair amount.
In my case I placed my phone on my recording computers stand up desk keyboard tray. In any case as long as the position of the guitar relative to the phone doesn't change that much for comparing the difference between two guitars should be sufficient
Old 03-05-2024, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
In my case I placed my phone on my recording computers stand up desk keyboard tray. In any case as long as the position of the guitar relative to the phone doesn't change that much for comparing the difference between two guitars should be sufficient
A agree from the point of view of an audience. If it is a lot different to the player, the phone may need to be close to your ear. The guitar would need to be quite directional for that to be the case, but it could happen?
Old 03-05-2024, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A agree from the point of view of an audience. If it is a lot different to the player, the phone may need to be close to your ear. The guitar would need to be quite directional for that to be the case, but it could happen?
Agreed. To clarify I meant to compare the guitars at a given listening point the key thing is keeping the position of the guitar and phone relatively consistent. The phone mics aren't directional enough that a slight change will make that much difference in the reading with this app.

Yes where you make the measurements will depend a lot on your room and what the player hears will certainly change.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-05-2024 at 04:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber