The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2024, 06:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintClarence27 View Post
How much do you want for it?
I'd be happy to make one for you too! I still have several sets of that quilted Bigleaf Maple, and lots of Ziricote. Stay tuned and watch how this one comes together. And also, thank you for your kind comments!
Old 01-12-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
You're kidding, right?
Yes, it's going to be quite a bit out of my price range, but I am definitely going to be jealous.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it's going to be quite a bit out of my price range, but I am definitely going to be jealous.
Jealousy is such a negative emotion. It might be healthier to have a talk with Steve. He just might surprise you.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Jealousy is such a negative emotion. It might be healthier to have a talk with Steve. He just might surprise you.
Maybe not so much jealous as enjoying it vicariously! This is really going to be a great guitar and I seriously am happy for the years of enjoyment you are going to get, but it's also definitely going to be worthy of showing off! I can't get over that book matched fretboard.nit looks amazing.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:53 AM

Looks amazing so far, man that Ziricote is an amazing tree, how it does that and makes that grain pattern blows my mind. Doesn't seem possible.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks amazing so far, man that Ziricote is an amazing tree, how it does that and makes that grain pattern blows my mind. Doesn't seem possible.
I could not agree more. That book matched fingerboard is amazing. It was one of those crazy ideas I get just because I don't know any better. But it's Steve's execution of the idea is beyond amazing.

He's made good progress with my build so far. The back stripe and it's inlay is done, the fingerboard and headstock face plate have been laid out and many of the other pieces have taken at least rough form this week.

Activity on my build will slow down this week while Steve puts the finishing (no pun intended) touches on the 3 guitars that were in the queue ahead of me. Once they're over the finish line, he'll give my build his undivided attention.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a couple photos of the completed back inlay. We have now established the general theme for the trim elements of this guitar. The inlay on the back will carry through with the end graft, and the front of the headstock. The purfling on the inlay- black and white veneer lines, bordering the flamed Pyinma center, will also be repeated on the soundboard binding and purfling. I think the tan/silver color of the Pyinma is a perfect interface between the Maple and Ziricote elements.

The fingerboard and headstock will be bound in Ziricote also, with a thin line of Pyinma purfling included. IMG_5669.jpgIMG_5668.jpg
Old 01-15-2024, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Steve,
Thanks for the photos. As always, fantastic work! I'm not familiar with Pyinma all, but your description of it when we last talked was spot on. Your previous pix of the inlay, pretty as they were, didn't really show the Pyinma to it's best advantage. These pictures bring out it's color and hints of figure. It compliments the Maple and Ziricote perfectly. Thanks for suggesting it.

I love it when a plan comes together so gracefully.

Looking forward to seeing more as circumstances permit.

I really appreciate you keeping us up to date on this project.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... enjoying it vicariously!
Vicarious enjoyment does sound a bit gentler

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm anticipating great things. Trying to remain calm while all the pieces and circumstances gradually come together is a significant challenge, but my better half keeps me in line.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

This week, Steve is busy wet-sanding te guitars in the queue head of mine. Actually that works out well since the next steps on my guitar includes bending the sides and bindings, and Steve will be receiving his updated bending gear about the same time his sanding is completed. Stay tuned...
Old 01-26-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

My build has been on hold for a few days. First the heating blanket controller on Steve's bending machine gave up the ghost, and it's replacement took longer than hoped to be delivered. Secondly, while waiting for the controller, poor Steve picked up a mild case of COVID. Aargh!!

The better news is the bending gear arrived and was successfully tested, and Steve is feeling better. Hopefully thing will be back on track early next week.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
My build has been on hold for a few days. First the heating blanket controller on Steve's bending machine gave up the ghost, and it's replacement took longer than hoped to be delivered. Secondly, while waiting for the controller, poor Steve picked up a mild case of COVID. Aargh!!

The better news is the bending gear arrived and was successfully tested, and Steve is feeling better. Hopefully thing will be back on track early next week.
Looking forward to updates!
Old 01-26-2024, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Steve is knocking another one out of the park! Very nice!
Old 01-26-2024, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Steve is knocking another one out of the park! Very nice!
Thanks Dave! It's the guitar of a lifetime for me. It'll be my first ever bespoke instrument, and probably my last. But if I should change my mind somewhere down the line, Steve would definitely the luthier for my second
Old 01-28-2024, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Bert! What a gorgeous guitar!
I’m so happy for you. I hope you can up load a sound sample for all of us living vicariously through you and your build experience.
Best,
Tom

PS- Where is Steve/Edwinson guitars located?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop