The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Default New to recording: XLR to USB into a MacBook Pro?

Hi all, I've decided I'd like to try recording a bit. I have an AG60 60W Acoustic (brand) amp that has four combo inputs so both guitar and mike are going through the amp. It has two lines out (one a balanced XLR, the other an unbalanced 1/4). Is it as simple as getting an XLR to USB cable and plugging it straight into my Macbook or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Greg aka jarlaxle

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM

If you plan to record the output of the AG60 you will need an audio interface. An RME Babyface is a great interface and would make up a great portable recording rig with your Macbook. It is a little pricy but get what you pay for. RME stuff always works and support is great. I've had cheaper interfaces and I consider many of them a waste of money.
Your USB is not made to receive audio from the AG60. After the Babyface process the sound, then the Babyface can interface with your USB. You could us Sony Audasity as a free recording software, or get Garage Band if it's not all ready on your Mac. Also, go to "HomeRecording.com" to get help in your recording efforts.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM

or you may want to try one of the apogee products which are made for the mac. either the duet or the one could work for you. here is the link to the apogee site. quite a few people on this forum use them.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM

First off, for recording purposes, I would recommend to bypass the amp. Get a good USB interface and plug right into it. You can route different inputs to different tracks (in Garageband or Logic or whatever software you're using).

The Apogee products get rave reviews from Mac users, so if you can afford that it would be a good choice.

For recording guitar, you'll generally get much better results with a mic than plugging in. With the right interface, you can use two (or possibly more) mics, or plug in instruments.

I recently bought a TASCAM US-600, which gives me two mic preamps, 4 other inputs and MIDI in/out. It might not be pro quality, but I've been very happy with it. The only downside is that it is not USB powered, so might not be the best choice for a portable recording interface.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 AM

You can use an XLR to USB converter. Just be sure the output level of the amp isn't too much for the input of the converter. I like the Centrance gear because it's 24-bit. They make something called axe port pro. http://centrance.com/products/ap/

You plug your instrument into axe port pro instead of your amp, and go directly into the computer.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
You can use an XLR to USB converter. Just be sure the output level of the amp isn't too much for the input of the converter. I like the Centrance gear because it's 24-bit. They make something called axe port pro. http://centrance.com/products/ap/

You plug your instrument into axe port pro instead of your amp, and go directly into the computer.

Regards,

Ty Ford
There adapters for iPhone/iPads with USB ports. Would this work with both of those also, I wonder?

If the microphone version of the Centrance was purchased, would an XLR to 1/4 in jack adapter allow it then to be used with both a mic and a guitar cable?

The Apogee Jam seems similar. Other than no XLR possibility and Mac only use, it seems they are very much the same.

The Centrance though, if I could use the XLR version for both mic and guitar, plus universal use on Macs and PCs etc., would be worth the additional $50 easily.

Am I missing some major electronic issues or differences? This seems more versatile especially if both mic and guitar were possible.

New Info: I just was reading the reviews on Amazon and someone else bought the XLR version for using directly with his guitar. He listed as a complaint that he needed to purchase an adapter. That's no complaint to me but a recommendation! He said it was working great with his guitar plugged directly in. I assume he turns the phantom power off.

Last edited by ac; 01-06-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM

The Mic Port Pro version wants to see an XLR input at mic level and has a wide adjustment for mics of different sensitivity. I don't know what the sensitivity of your pickup system is. That would be something you'd want to check. BTW, I ran BOTH a mic port pro and axe port pro into different USB ports on one of my computers and was able to record each track separately into Garage Band.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

oh, one other thing I found out last week. Neither of my Neumann TLM 103 mics like the mic port pro. I get a low level of hiss. The Same for the Behrenger B-1. Anything else I had lying around seemed to work fine. I alerted Neumann and Centrance. Centrance's response was that they thought not all TLM 103 were a problem. I may have more info later.

Ty
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
The Mic Port Pro version wants to see an XLR input at mic level and has a wide adjustment for mics of different sensitivity. I don't know what the sensitivity of your pickup system is. That would be something you'd want to check. BTW, I ran BOTH a mic port pro and axe port pro into different USB ports on one of my computers and was able to record each track separately into Garage Band.
The reviewer at Amazon did not mention what his pickup system was, only that it worked well. I'm interested because it makes it dual use and Mine is K&K mini with a MiSi Simple jack preamp so no idea if there would be issues or if it would work like the the reviewers.

Several reviews at Amazon and elsewhere mentioned a physical design flaw with the XLR version (not the dedicated guitar version) in that they cover the XLR locking mechanism with a portion of the plastic case for some reason making it impossible to lock a mic to it. Some complained this made static noises if the mic was moved as it attaches only by a press fit which is not very tight--loose fit they said. Others said it was OK IF you just didn't touch it while recording (not really glowing approval). Does yours seem tight enough?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Mine fits OK, but I'm not yanking it around when I use it to record. If you're used to banging around with an SM58 like Roger Daltry, this is not a piece of kit for you.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Not my style, nor was it of any of the reviewers. They independently mentioned very loose connections that caused problems with the slightest contact, sometimes preventing solid contact at all. One man with technical background disassembled his to try to tighten things up with no results. That's a concern for any prospective buyer.

That said, many others gave it good reviews without mentioning any issues with the connection. It's just that there was a high enough percentage that did have issues that it told me it's a real possibility. That's why I asked if you had noticed this or not.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM

no. mine is tight, requiring a healthy tug

Ty Ford
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses and help but honestly I'm still not sure what the best solution is for me. While I originally assumed the right answer was to plug directly from the source (i.e. guitar/amp) to the laptop, I looked at the Apogee site and the Apogee MIC looks really interesting and would allow me to record anything I want. Unfortunately it's still not out and from everything I could find, no one seems to know when it will be.

So that said, I'm now thinking of just getting a fairly good microphone and recording that way...

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD