The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-01-2023, 12:35 PM

Default Vox Guilietta mod

I play acoustic and electric guitar and 5 string banjo. We play everything from Wagon Wheel to Whipping post. I saw the VOX Guiletta 3D in a used store with all kinds of modeling that sounded decent on Youtube bur really couldn't stand 90% of the tones it produced. However, It's a really comfortable small body, short length guitar for an older short guy with a bum left hand.

So pulled out 1/2 lb of electronics, not including batteries, and it became pretty resonant so figured try to make a hybrid to avoid swapping electric and acoustic all the time.

Swapped out the Tune-o-matic archtop pickup with a used Fishman archtop pickup wired to Schatten thumbwheels in the pickguard and put a split coil in the humbucker that sounds pretty good.

TRS out to a Baggs acoustic preamp for the acoustic and pedalboard for the electric.

Likely adding a blend pot at the previous 3 way switch and maybe an on-board preamp and square tailpiece.

Only thing to work through is the Fishman bridge is way bright which I wasn't expecting. I think the piezo is loose from the saddle.

Sorry about the strings, she's still on the bench.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:39 PM

Old 10-01-2023, 03:18 PM

That's very cool! I've never heard of the Vox Giulietta. There are a few listed on Reverb, and it seems the electronics are thing ("With 18 available sounds over six banks of instruments, as well as onboard Overdrive and Reverb controls") the guitar is the modeler and not the amp. I guess the combination of the two might keep a knob-twiddler in seventh heaven! But I like the look, and I like the size. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-2024, 01:26 AM

I have one of these. Yes, I agree, the electronics are fun but not particularly useful in real life. Using it with the electronics turned off, it's a pretty nice guitar. I believe this model has been discontinued in favor of a new one with a thinner body.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM

Default Tuners

Do you know what type of tuning machines this uses? There are no screws so must be a pin type tuner. One pin or two pin, that is the question.
I may want to upgrade the tuners on mine. Have you done that? I find them a little less smooth than I would like.
Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

That's a nice-looking guitar and I hope you get it modded to what you want it to do for you.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops