The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Default How do I recover a previous version of a song in Garageband?

I am a newbie to Garageband. I have been working on a song for the past couple of weeks, and had almost all of the tracks the way I wanted them. Then, I did something completely stupid tonight. I wanted to re-record the vocal tracks, and thought I was deleting them. What I deleted, however, was the guitar tracks. Thinking that I had deleted what I needed, I then saved the project (yes, pretty stupid...I know.) Now, I am at a complete loss as to how I can proceed with the project without deleting everything and starting over. Is there any way I can locate a previous version of the project from earlier in the day? If there is any way I can recover what I deleted, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 PM

hopefully, you take advantage of time machine. if so, just go back in time machine to the period prior to deletion. you may want to drag those files to your desktop, come back to the present time and then reinsert the tracks into the song.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Re:

muscmp,

Unfortunately, I have not been using Time Machine, so I am out of luck. It's not a big deal, though. It's just a recording project in Garageband that I'm doing for fun. Now, if it had been a project for work, then I'd be in big trouble. In any case, it's a learning experience, and it won't happen again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
hopefully, you take advantage of time machine. if so, just go back in time machine to the period prior to deletion. you may want to drag those files to your desktop, come back to the present time and then reinsert the tracks into the song.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM

I have *a little* experience using Garageband. It may be that the tracks you lost are gone forever, unless someone has a genius workaround. I hope that happens!

On a preventative note, I have gotten in the habit of not immediately deleting tracks I don't *think* I like. I simply mute them and then record a new track intended as the replacement. If I like the new track, then I'll go ahead and delete the old one. It has made me more methodical about dumping unacceptable tracks--and because it's me we're talking about a lot of deletions!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Re:

Sombras,

I've muted tracks before, but didn't use good judgment and do that in this case. I guess we all make mistakes, so I intend to remember this one and not make it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
I have *a little* experience using Garageband. It may be that the tracks you lost are gone forever, unless someone has a genius workaround. I hope that happens!

On a preventative note, I have gotten in the habit of not immediately deleting tracks I don't *think* I like. I simply mute them and then record a new track intended as the replacement. If I like the new track, then I'll go ahead and delete the old one. It has made me more methodical about dumping unacceptable tracks--and because it's me we're talking about a lot of deletions!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

I would highly recommend taking advantage of Time Machine. It is perfect for slip ups like this.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
Sombras,

I've muted tracks before, but didn't use good judgment and do that in this case. I guess we all make mistakes, so I intend to remember this one and not make it again!
I hope my post didn't sound judgmental--I should have mentioned that I only figured that out because I also lost a couple tracks. NOW I see that I could have gone to Time Machine and found the backup files. ARGH!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Default RE: Apple Remote Control

Sombras,

No, I didn't take it that way at all! I'm glad I have this message board to ask questions and learn from my mistakes. I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
I hope my post didn't sound judgmental--I should have mentioned that I only figured that out because I also lost a couple tracks. NOW I see that I could have gone to Time Machine and found the backup files. ARGH!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Is it possible that the deleted tracks can be recovered from the Mac's trash?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm321 View Post
Is it possible that the deleted tracks can be recovered from the Mac's trash?
If you delete tracks from a Garageband project, they're just deleted from the project. They're not files in and of themselves, so wouldn't go to the trash.

The key when you have a Mac is to use Time Machine. It's as simple as a backup program can be and will solve issues like this. It's not the only backup plan you should have, but it's a great first tier. (In addition to using Time Machine for regular backups, I use CarbonCopyCloner to copy all my hard drives once a month, then store it off site. These backups are bootable. If something should happen to my computer and Time Machine backups at the same time, such as theft or fire, I won't lose more than the last month's worth of data.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD