The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Default ...pop filter...

...any ideas or recommendations on great, studio quality pop filters?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Pretty much any of the commercial ones are fine.
You can make your own with an embroidery hoop or a coat hanger and a stocking.
The favored pop filter in a major Sydney studio for a long time was a pair of Tina Turners panty hose stretched over a coat hanger. Worked great.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM

It's a worthy pursuit to learn not to pop the mic so you won't need to put stuff between you and the mic.

Which mic are you having a problem with?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I work mostly with mic location, placing it out of the cone of blast from the mouth. However, because "money is time is money" and no-one wants to loose the perfect take, I also use the hoop-type pop filters. We've got popper stoppers in our studios and they work great.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
It's a worthy pursuit to learn not to pop the mic so you won't need to put stuff between you and the mic.

Which mic are you having a problem with?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Even though I went to the expense to purchase a Pauly Superscreen which actually is pretty transparent but not totally. Unfortunately it has almost doubled in price since I got mine.
I would tend to agree and since I learned a technique of hanging my LCD mic upside down with the bottom of the mic housing between my upper lip and my nose. Which means I have to lift my head slightly to sing directly into the diaphragm ( actually helps open up the air way ) then I just dip the head slightly for (P's and (Ts) for me) I really have not used the screen in the last few years much except for some close voiceover work.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Back when I was in radio, the operations manager at one station bought new EV1751 condenser mics and put a pair in every studio. We popped them like crazy for about two weeks before we learned how not to. I've been pretty plosiveless ever since.

Practice by saying "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. How many pecks of pickled peppers did Peter Piper Pick? with your hand in front of your mouth." Work on not pursing your lips but still getting the sound of the words right. It's easier to do if you form your mouth in a smile, opening it sideways, so you can't purse your lips.

Regards,

Ty
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Back when I was in radio, the operations manager at one station bought new EV1751 condenser mics and put a pair in every studio. We popped them like crazy for about two weeks before we learned how not to. I've been pretty plosiveless ever since.

Practice by saying "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. How many pecks of pickled peppers did Peter Piper Pick? with your hand in front of your mouth." Work on not pursing your lips but still getting the sound of the words right. It's easier to do if you form your mouth in a smile, opening it sideways, so you can't purse your lips.

Regards,

Ty
Interesting have to give that a try.Thanks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM

....MXL990.......not really any problems per se....considering a pop filter just in case...a lot of "pros" use them...there must be some validity to them.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Shot from a vocal session running both a Neumann TLM-170 and a U-47 on a female vocalista. I settled on the TLM-170 in this case. By the way, dig the improvised shock mount on the U-47: While replacement elastic bands were on order I strung it up with rubber bands.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD