The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Default Complete newbie to computer recording seeking help!

Hey all.

I have been playing and recording music for 15-20 years and have always used a portable unit (Tascam 788). I want to transition to using my PC and have no idea where to start. Perhaps you could help me out with what I need to get? Here's some info:

1) I want to be able to record up to 6-8 tracks at once. I am in an acoustic trio.

2) I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro that I assume I could use.

3) Can I plug the Mackie directly into the computer or do I need a device between the Mackie the PC (like the Lexicon Omega)?

4) If I bought something like the Omega - would I even need the Mackie?

5) Do I need to buy a new sound card for my PC?

6) I assume I'll need to buy software. Any recommendations? Cakewalk seems cool...

THANKS!

1948 Martin 00-18
1988 Martin D-35P
1988 Martin D-42 Limited Edition
2006 Martin 000-18 Golden Era
2009 Martin OM-42 Custom Adirondack
Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM

You _can_ record by plugging the output of your mixer into the line in connector on your computer, but you'll have a mixed stereo result, you won't be able to tweak individual tracks.

If you want to mix and tweak in post, you need an interface with multiple inputs. There are many choices out there. If your choice uses Firewire to connect to the computer, be sure you have a TI chip based Firewire port on the computer. This is a huge hassle, the most common Firewire chipsets do not play well with audio interfaces. Be sure to visit the support forums and user forums of the interfaces you're evaluating, and see if users are screaming and what interface details are needed.

USB 2.0 will support 6 simultaneous channels, so consider that as well. Unfortunately, at this point, the upper echelon of interfaces still use Firewire so you may have to deal with those issues.

Once you have an audio interface connected, most folks disable their PC soundcard and use the interface for their input and output. You definitely don't need a new soundcard - unless you decide that PCI/PCI-E is your preferred method of connection.

It starts to get a little complex at this point. It's possible to use a card that is simply an interface to an external A/D-D/A converter, or you can find cards that are completely internal.

My recommendation for software is REAPER. You can download a fully functional version for free and evaluate it for 60 days. It's fast, lightweight, and is supported by a very active user community.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM

That is so helpful - thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Rob

1948 Martin 00-18
1988 Martin D-35P
1988 Martin D-42 Limited Edition
2006 Martin 000-18 Golden Era
2009 Martin OM-42 Custom Adirondack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD