The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Default X7 headstock and capo

Hello X7 brothers and sisters,

While some may not approve, I stash my capo on the headstock and that of X7 has a tiny real estate at the tip I have been clipping my capo on... until yesterday.

Maybe it is nothing new, or causes a problem with rotation, but it is very convenient so far. How do you do it? Kyser is doable, but may push a string or two causing pitch issues.

Last edited by Gitaman; 03-25-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Please excuse the sloppy string job and the plaster at the tip of my G7 Capo from banging into ceilings and walls!

Last edited by Gitaman; 03-25-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I don't like it, I would remove it immediately. LOL j/k it looks like a great solution, I had to finally mount a tuner in the sound hole due to the lack of real estate. Probably never need it until next fall.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I think I'd find somewhere else to keep my capo

The tuner in the soundhole is brilliant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4148.jpg (18.1 KB, 136 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Guest 928

My tuner slips right under the bass string, just above the nut. I don't use a capo (that's cheating) so I don't know where you'd put that.

You're cheating heart, will tell on you...................
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think I'd find somewhere else to keep my capo

The tuner in the soundhole is brilliant.

Do you have a link to that tuner? Brilliant idea!
Martin Custom OMC-160GTE Ovankol
Martin Custom DC-14F Ovankol
Little Martin LX1E
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
2017 Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute Honeyburst

*Now if I could only really learn how to play them!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
...I don't use a capo (that's cheating) so I don't know where you'd put that.

You're cheating heart, will tell on you...................
Well, Evan, some of us needs all the help we can get

I like both ideas:behind the nut or in the soundhole. I will have to take my guitar to GC and find a turner that works. My SuperSnark won't cut it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-26-2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkagge View Post
Do you have a link to that tuner? Brilliant idea!
There’s a thread about doing that in an X20, here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...oundhole+tuner

It won’t fit in one of the older X7s but it works in the current X7 and should work in all of the other current main Emerald models. It’s just a little D’Addario tuner with the little nub snipped off (that would attach it to its no longer necessary bracket) and two pieces of dual-lock or Velcro or even just double sided tape holding it to the top of the instrument just inside the soundhole.

One of the ironies of the new X7, which is larger than the old X7 in most dimensions, is that the headstock is actually considerably smaller - there’s just no extra headstock there to mount anything to it. I don’t stick a capo on it - I just have it sitting on whatever table or stool is sitting in front of where I play. The old X7 and the X20 had plenty of room for a capo without pressing on the tuners or strings..,

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 03-26-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 AM

Cool thread. Will be trying this in my new X7. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:56 PM

I don't put my G7th there because I find it difficult to grab, open, deploy pointed away from me like that. But the headstock is cutaway right where I want it for sideways grab. I make do with this but I wish I'd requested a non-stylized headstock.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
There’s a thread about doing that in an X20, here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...oundhole+tuner

It won’t fit in one of the older X7s but it works in the current X7 and should work in all of the other current main Emerald models. It’s just a little D’Addario tuner with the little nub snipped off (that would attach it to its no longer necessary bracket) and two pieces of dual-lock or Velcro or even just double sided tape holding it to the top of the instrument just inside the soundhole.

One of the ironies of the new X7, which is larger than the old X7 in most dimensions, is that the headstock is actually considerably smaller - there’s just no extra headstock there to mount anything to it. I don’t stick a capo on it - I just have it sitting on whatever table or stool is sitting in front of where I play. The old X7 and the X20 had plenty of room for a capo without pressing on the tuners or strings..,

-Ray
Ray,
I went through your soundhole tuner thread, 3M velcro is on my HomeDepot list. Not set on which mini yet. In regards to the headstock, I know it is not the ideal, but I figure there is no chance of leaving it somewhere.

And for the rest of you, brothers and sisters, in regards to your opinions, I appreciate... your honesty! especially John and edp251!!

Last edited by Gitaman; 03-27-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

I really like Alistairs signature on the back of the headstock, is this something he does only for the select series?

As far as the capo...I usually have to look for mine for 10 minutes when I need it, so I should copy you. I hope you are enjoying your X7 as much as I do mine, it took a bit for mine to all come together, a setup and the strings finally settling in did it.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I really like Alistairs signature on the back of the headstock, is this something he does only for the select series?

As far as the capo...I usually have to look for mine for 10 minutes when I need it, so I should copy you. I hope you are enjoying your X7 as much as I do mine, it took a bit for mine to all come together, a setup and the strings finally settling in did it.
Thanks, John, I asked him for the signature and he did it gladly. If you lose your capo again, try G7 Performance 3. It goes well with X7 and you won't be disappointed. I am glad you are finally happy with your X7. I am very pleased with mine, though I know what is meant by someone about the left arm feeling crowded at times. You know like T-Rex. I know posture is very important and have ordered Sageworks guitar support. Hopefully I can play longer!!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
If you lose your capo again, try G7 Performance 3. It goes well with X7 and you won't be disappointed.
Hi, I've been looking for a good capo for my X7. The fretboard radius seems a bit flatter than my Martin guitars, and the capos I have don't work very well.

The new G7 Performance 3 looks interesting, maybe I'll try one to see how it works.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi, I've been looking for a good capo for my X7. The fretboard radius seems a bit flatter than my Martin guitars, and the capos I have don't work very well.

The new G7 Performance 3 looks interesting, maybe I'll try one to see how it works.
For $15, I have been using the Planet Waves NS Tri-Action capo on each of my Emeralds - works good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber