The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Default New Desk Day!!

I know it is not as exciting as NGD, but I'm very excited. I cleaned up and rearranged my music room/office/studio and put in a new desk. This is the most functional this space has ever been.

I've wanted the RTA desk for a while, but thought it cost too much for what it was and it appeared to have issues with the casters. The price finally became reasonable and they fixed the cheap caster issues so I snagged the cherry one. It has lots of table space and lots of space underneath. The 8 rack spaces allowed me to take my rack stuff out of the portable case. The spouse got me a new 25" monitor during of the labor day sales too. I'm loving it.

A friend took the photos with her ultra wide angle lens. It makes the room look longer than it is. The room is just 9' x 11.5'.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 09-06-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 AM

Oh no Dragonfly, I can see people getting D.A.S. as well as G.A.S. now!! What have you done.

Last edited by floatingears; 09-06-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM

VERY nice! But now you have to tell us what we're looking at and how you use it.

cotten
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 AM

looks like an awesome setup

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Wonderful setup!

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
VERY nice! But now you have to tell us what we're looking at and how you use it.
Here is a list of what's in my arsenal that I have built up over the last 10 years.

COMPUTER
Macbook Pro 15" Unibody (works, but I want the 8GB model, maybe next year)
25" I-inc Monitor (cheap and works)

SOFTWARE RECORDERS & INTERFACES
Ableton Live Suite 8 (Easiest yet)
Logic Pro 9 (More difficult than I anticipated)
Reason 4 (Don't know why I have this)
Garage Band (Came with the Laptop, I use it every now and then)
Apogee Duet (The best interface ever!)
MOTU Ultralite - 1st Gen (Haven't used this since getting the Duet, but quite useful and the mic pres are good)

HARDWARE RECORDERS
BOSS BR1600 CD (I use this most of the time, got it to have a portable means of recording a band, but use it more than the software.)

MONITORS
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors (Very nice, though pricy)
Fostex PM0.5-Sub (Cheap, have nothing to compare them to)
Mackie Big Knob (I love this thing. I have the BM5a, and PM0.5 Sub plugged in separately so I can hear the mix with and without the sub. More features than I need in my small space, but would be excellent if I had a separate recording room.)

KEYBOARDS/CONTROLLERS
Novation Remote 25 SL (Use as DAW controller, use pads for beats, keys for riffs)
M-Audio Keystation 88es (Used by others who know how to play the piano)
Frontier Design TranzPort (For when I'm recording alone. This allows me to control the DAW remotely.)

MICS
I heard you can never have too many mics because each instrument/voice responds differently. Having different mics at the ready is good.
Rode NT-K (My first mid-priced mic, I go to this one first for most vocal and acoustic stuff)
CAD GXL3000 (Used it for vocals)
CAD M179 (Very versatile mic, used on guitar and flute)
MXL 990 (Got on sale, haven't used yet)
MXL 991 (Got on sale, haven't used yet)
Octavia MK319 (First condensor mic ever, came with Bellario Pre)
Shure SM57 (Just got this, looking forward to trying it out)
CAD Premium 7-Piece Drum Mic Pack (Thought I should have the ability to mic a drum set if necessary. I have friends who play drums.)
Audix DP5A Drum Microphone Pack (Won these from American Musical Supply just after the return period expired on the CAD pack.)

PRE-AMPS
Art MPA Gold (Knew I needed mic pres and wanted a tube mic pre so I got this affordable device. I purchased new tubes, but haven't installed them yet.)
ART Tube MP Studio (Used this on the flute recording with the NTK)

SOUND TREATMENT
Auralex Studiofoam Designer Kit (Got this so I could mix in the room. It does take away the nice reflections I like to hear when playing my guitars but I just go into a different room to play if I need that or play through my amp.)
Auralex LENRD Bass Traps (Really made a difference with the standing waves and my small room needed the help. Pricey, but easier than making my own bass traps and cheaper than some high-end bass traps.)
sE Electronics SERF Reflexion Filter 3.5 (Serves its purpose. I thought it was kinda pricey, but figured I would get many many years out of it.)

GUITAR AMPS/MODELERS/FX
Fishman LoudBox 100
Bugera V22 (I'm not tube amp expert, but the V22 sounds really really good to me. It was cheap enough to splurge.)
Vox AC4TV Stack (Got this as a present. I haven't recorded it yet. It doesn't have much headroom especially if playing humbuckers. I have a BitMo mod to put on it yet so we'll see how it does.)
GK MB210 Bass Amp (I have two basses and play them occassionaly. I'm learning enough so that I can do my own bass lines on a bass as opposed to using the keyboard. This bass amp is lighter than almost all of my other amps.)
Line 6 POD X3 w/ Short Board (Got this to use specifically for recording guitar. So far so good. I don't have the best ear for electric guitar. I know many who cannot stand the whole POD series, but I have no problem with it.)
BOSS ME70 (Just got this and haven't used it to record yet. I love this pedal. It is easy to use and since it is all in one easy to carry. I don't gig electric so simple and useful is what I needed.)
Tonebone PZ-Pre (Still getting used to this. It does help, but haven't been able to get perfection on it.)

FURNITURE
Studio RTA Creation Station Studio (Very nice desk if you don't need a 88-key keyboard on it full time. Might be too short for some taller people. I have to have my chair up pretty high so I don't hurt my neck looking at the computer screens. The computer keyboard on the desk top is perfect height. Rack space is very convenient. And the shelf space under desk is very handy.)
Home Made Guitar Rack (Had to have my guitars easily accessible. Previously they were in the closet and under the bed, which made them easy to neglect.)
Home Made Amp/FX Rack (Raised the amps off the floor and made two little shelved underneath to store pedals when not in use.)
Musician's Gear SMS-6000 Monitor Stands (They work. A little wobbly on carpet, but once in place they don't get moved much.)
Office Chair (Comfort is not overrated.)
Crate 24" Stool (Just my size and perfect for playing guitar or resting between takes.)
Hercules Single & Triple Guitar Stands (These are my favorite stands. I usually have three guitars out at once, but after having a straight edge put a grand canyon sized dent in the top of my Breedlove Performance Focus they get put back in the case when not in use.)
KMC Music Ultra Guitar Stand (Another portable, easy to use stand.)

OTHER
Automatic Humdifier (This keeps the room at 45-50% humidity all of the time.)

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 09-06-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

What a great looking space dragonfly! It looks like you have a room for us all to be envious of! (and I think it is every bit as exciting as a new instrument!)
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM

The ideal abode for a troglodyte musician - ie man cave

Harmonics101

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD