The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-02-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Finding a luthier

Lately I've been thinking about having a guitar built by a small shop, and the luthiers that are within my driving distance. I came across a directory of luthiers. This link is to the directory for the US, but you can get to directories for other countries as well. Seemed like a good reference that would be useful to others wanting to commission a build.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I believe the compiler is a member and shared it right here, but it's always good to see it again.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Useful as a reference point, I suppose, but picking a luthier based on data collected from an internet search is not a good idea, in my experience. You have to play them in person.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Useful as a reference point, I suppose, but picking a luthier based on data collected from an internet search is not a good idea, in my experience. You have to play them in person.
Of course. But to visit them you have to know where they are - which is the purpose of the directory. Interestingly I found a few on the list that didn't show up in a simple Google search.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I think it's a great list. A few builders I didn't know existed from my state that I might need to pay a visit to. Also found a potential repairperson in my city that otherwise I would have had not idea about.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Unless you want unusual specs I would travel to a luthier who has finished guitars available and audition to perhaps buy right away. Or go to a high end shop and try a bunch from various makers.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:38 AM

Guitar shows like Woodstock in Oct. or mine in Sept. are also great places to meet luthiers and play their stuff before deciding. I like that as you also get to know the person behind the guitars and form a personal connection which for me makes a big difference in the whole experience.

For the OP this year from the Northwest we have Rebecca Urlacher coming and I am very excited to meet her and try her guitars as I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-03-2021 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Guitar shows like Woodstock in Oct. or mine in Sept. are also great placed to meet luthiers and play their stuff before deciding. I like that as you also get to know the person behind the guitars and form a personal connection which for me makes a big difference in the whole experience.

For the OP this year from the Northwest we have Rebecca Urlacher coming and I am very excited to meet her and try her guitars as I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews.
Getting to know the builders and play their instruments is the way to go. We had a BLAST at BIG #1

Happy hunting

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop