The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Les Paul Special string height at bridge

Hey all,

Does anyone know average string height at the bridge/saddle for an LP Special (presumably the same for a Junior since they are both flat top bodies)? The reason I ask is that there is a cheap Epi Special II on fb market place (cheap because the electronics are not working) and I thought it might be a fun project to try and turn it into a LP/Telecaster mashup. If you google image search "les paul telecaster hybrid" you'll see some examples. I suspect that the height of a Tele style bridge is lower than the LP?

I'm asking about the string height as I'd be happy to mess around with the body to put on the new bridge/saddle and electronics, figure out a cool pick guard, etc (even possibly try refinishing it). But if it means having to mess with the neck angle to compensate for the saddle height, that's not something I'm confident I could do well. (It's a bolt on neck, so it's doable, just maybe not by me )
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 02-16-2021, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I own an Epi LP Special II. Is this one of the newer Inspired By versions with 4 knobs, or an older 3 knob version? I can measure mine if you'd like. Where exactly do you want me to measure? BTW, this guitar is top wrapped so I'm not sure if that would effect what you are looking for here?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Here is a picture of mine. Are you just wanting a measurement from the top to the strings?20210130_193648.jpg
Old 02-16-2021, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

From the top of the guitar to the strings is 1/2 inch.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:04 PM

hey BoneDigger, thanks so much for the reply. The model I'm looking at actually only has 2 knobs and the pickup selector switch is between the knobs (I think it might be a 2010). But it does have the wrap around bridge like yours does.

Looking at some tele style bridges on from Stewmac it looks like the height for the strings on most of them would be about .38-.40 inches, so I think that's enough of a difference that the neck would have to be adjusted. I'll do some more digging around and see if there are any other options out there.

thanks again!
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Glad I could help! I have looked up the conversion you are discussing. It's an interesting concept. Any particular reason why you want to swap over to a tele setup on it? I realize the most likely answer is "because I can!" I can say that I was blown away by the Epi Special I own. At some point I "might" swap out the pickups, but it's pretty special (excuse the pun) as-is. I have had no issue with intonation or stability and this guitar literally vibrates for days. I was not planning to buy it but found it used at a local shop for an okay price and once I plugged it in I knew it was a keeper.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:06 AM

I'd say it's 80% aesthictcs, I think it looks cool. The other 20% is to see how the tone actually comes out .
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 PM

Options that one could consider, assuming the Tele bridge is too high. (If it's low, just shim under the ashtray).

Some of the cheaper Epi LP Specials are bolt on necks, so you could shim them.

You could route a pocket for the Tele ashtray bridge to sit lower in. Of course you wouldn't want to to that on your original finish real Fifties LP Jr., but you're not exactly drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa with a used Epi LP Special.

You could eschew the ashtray Tele bridge. I had a solid body used Kimberly guitar that I bought for a song in the 70s and put a Tele bridge pickup mounted direct to the body wood inside a route I made in the body with an original Leo Quann Badass wrap-around bridge/tailpiece. I can tell you that sounded great.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars