The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Default My First NCFGD

My entire experience with CF started last week, and I've fallen in love with it! From what I’ve read, most people approach these for their durability and humidity resistance, but I might be one of the few that actually digs the tone more than most wood guitars - I know I'm unusual in that I play mostly classical fingerstyle (I don't like nylon) and above all else I hate thin zingy trebles - and most wood guitars I've played can give me that if I'm not really careful with my attack. In contrast, both of the Rainsongs I initially played at the store (both the WS and the OM sizes) had these wonderful thick trebles and I bought the Concert-WS1000N2. In less than 48 hours I eliminated two out of three of my Nazareth made Martins because I preferred the tone of the RainSong - and the difference was striking. Only my Martin 0000-18 sinker Gruhn exclusive, a very special instrument, still remains of my all-wood guitars - it can't match the Rainsong in terms of volume and projection, but at low to moderate volumes, it does have a subtle sweetness that the RainSong can't quite match.

Still, with the exception of that special dealer exclusive, I’m digging this RainSong’s tone more than anything else I’ve played. The environmental resistance is an obvious plus, but how many of you all got into carbon fiber guitars because you preferred the tone to most wood guitars?
IMG_1611627517.600743.jpg
Martin Backpacker
Old 01-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and welcome to the fold...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-25-2021, 08:28 PM

As Captain Jim often says here, “Come for the durability, stay for the tone”. But the reverse works too. Glad you like the RS - I certainly like my WS-1000 that I’ve had for 20 years now.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:33 PM

Welcome to the carboNATION. Just wait until you hear the drastic differences with strings types- much more pronounced with CF than even wood. Since you are a an admitted classical fingerstyle player may I recommend Martin Retros? They are known to sound great on RainSongs and once they settle you get a glorious warm and balanced tone from them. I've used 12s and LJ's Choice on a Shorty I previously owned.

I miss that guitar but the good news is that unlike wooden guitars they vary little from one to the next. I liked it so much I've often found myself perusing the classifieds knowing that I had a tough time bonding with the neck.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Welcome to the carboNATION. Just wait until you hear the drastic differences with strings types- much more pronounced with CF than even wood. Since you are a an admitted classical fingerstyle player may I recommend Martin Retros? They are known to sound great on RainSongs and once they settle you get a glorious warm and balanced tone from them. I've used 12s and LJ's Choice on a Shorty I previously owned.

I miss that guitar but the good news is that unlike wooden guitars they vary little from one to the next. I liked it so much I've often found myself perusing the classifieds knowing that I had a tough time bonding with the neck.
Thanks for the Retros suggestion - Rainsong sends all these with 80/20 light gauge Elixirs - in the store since I was mostly listening for fullness of sound on the trebles, it was clear these guitars were really working for me. When I got it home I noticed a slight lack of warmth on the wound strings, and I promptly installed what I use on everything else I play - Martin authentic acoustic phosphor bronze mediums tuned to Eb - the mediums provided even more breadth of tone on the trebles and the wound strings sounded even better. But I’ve seen several recommendations for the Retros and I will check those out soon.
Martin Backpacker
Old 01-25-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your New Rainsong. Like other's have suggested, trying Martin Retros was a string changer for me. Not only do they last a while and sound great on my Rainsong Smokey they also look great being silver instead of the bronze color against the black color of the guitar......Ya gotta let them break in for a few days before judging them.....
Old 01-25-2021, 09:35 PM

I love the tone on my Rainsong (Shorty). I also love the tone of my Waterloo WL-12 MH. I have had quite a few wood guitars I found merely adequate, tonewise.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum and the CF world...the WS is a great Rainsong, that's for sure. I like to keep a wood guitar or 2 around just for some variety, but the Sable gets most of the play time. Enjoy!!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 AM

Congrats! I have a Rainsong parlor. While it’s a small guitar, it has a sweet voice and enough volume to play along with friends when the occasion arises. I don’t necessarily prefer its tone over any of my wood acoustics, but it’s pleasant to my ears. It’s durability is my favorite quality, though. I’ve played it all sorts of places I’d be nervous to have my wood guitars - at the beach, fall camping in the cold rain, and by campfires covered in bug spray. I also don’t get nervous when other people play it at parties and whatnot.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your Rainsong, boneuphtoner! Wish u many years of playing it!
I love my CH-OM...

Last edited by jricc; 01-26-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:49 AM

Congratulations on your Rainsong.

I can certainly identify with your experience of the sound/tone. When I first got my CF I played it for a couple hours then I picked up my wooden guitar, well it really opened my eyes (and my ears). I now have another CF on order. Love these things! Hope your CF brings you many years of enjoyment!
Old 01-27-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
Congratulations on your Rainsong.

I can certainly identify with your experience of the sound/tone. When I first got my CF I played it for a couple hours then I picked up my wooden guitar, well it really opened my eyes (and my ears). I now have another CF on order. Love these things! Hope your CF brings you many years of enjoyment!
Thanks so much KennyEC - from my sale of other guitars I had before two weeks ago, I've also got another CF guitar on order. Please post a NCFGD when you get yours and I will as well.
Martin Backpacker
Old 01-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Yep, that how it starts.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Thanks so much KennyEC - from my sale of other guitars I had before two weeks ago, I've also got another CF guitar on order. Please post a NCFGD when you get yours and I will as well.
If I live until that day comes, I will certainly do so!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:07 AM

I had no idea how the Emerald X30 I negotiated for, would sound. I bought it to travel with inside our RV.

It sounds as good as any wooden guitar I've ever played and better than most.

I was, and still am, incredulous at that realization.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber