The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't know how to use busses yet in Reaper, but other than that one of the last things I heard him say was something about a limiter. So naturally I played with the one in Ozone 8 and got a "fatter" (and louder) wav.
Also be aware of the other things he said or indicated He Said but these FX can't make a bad recording good
He mentioned going into a studio (probably a dedicated home studio) So we can probably assume it is treated and thus not creating significant room issues .
He mentioned his mic's which are good quality mid range mics (aprox $2400 worth )

Also notice he did a number of things before using the limiter which he stated was last in the mixing process
Note his Noise reduction of the Hiss was was somewhere around 12k
Note for EQ he also rolled off the low end via a fairly steep HP filter from 60hz on down and he also had a subtractive dip centered on 700 hz
All of this before going to a compressor (which he said this tune didn't need but he does do and only after taking steps to get rid of mud did he employ the limiter)

BTW setting up Bus tracks in Reaper looks very easy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Let's hear from the man himself:

Thanks so much Rick-Slo for sharing this.
I contacted Stephen Wake 6-7 years ago when I decided I wanted to get back into recording. He was so kind enough to share the fact that he used Two At 4050's....of which I promptly bought two used ones.
One of the things he told me then...if I remember correctly, is that he used the 4050's spread out pretty wide in Omni. He was very careful to state that you must however have a Good Room to use them spread out in Omni however. At the time he told me he worked for a recording studio with an excellent Room.
In this video I learned that he is additionally now using a center microphone. Which is something I have been planning on experimenting with.
The Daw is still very intimidating to myself. So you know I will be watching Wakes video...as well As Doug Young's recording videos---- several times.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Also be aware of the other things he said or indicated He Said but these FX can't make a bad recording good
He mentioned going into a studio (probably a dedicated home studio) So we can probably assume it is treated and thus not creating significant room issues .
He mentioned his mic's which are good quality mid range mics (aprox $2400 worth )

Also notice he did a number of things before using the limiter which he stated was last in the mixing process
Note his Noise reduction of the Hiss was was somewhere around 12k
Note for EQ he also rolled off the low end via a fairly steep HP filter from 60hz on down and he also had a subtractive dip centered on 700 hz
All of this before going to a compressor (which he said this tune didn't need but he does do and only after taking steps to get rid of mud did he employ the limiter)

BTW setting up Bus tracks in Reaper looks very easy

Thanks. When I used Audition I learned to do sends (from Doug Young's video), but I've been doing just simple stuff with Reaper. I'll have time as I'm going into semi-retirement the end of next week so it should be fun.

Let me see what I can come up with, both with trying to match what Stephen does and learning some more about Reaper and busses.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 12-25-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
In this video I learned that he is additionally now using a center microphone. Which is something I have been planning on experimenting with.
I almost always use a center mic, usually a ribbon. But you have to be careful with the balance, too much center and you start getting mono. I typically use a ribbon in MS, so I can choose between a single mono center source, or any degree of stereo. Depends on the tune, and maybe my mood when mixing. Sometimes is adds something, other times, the extra mic just seems to make things messier.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
T
Let me see what I can come up with, both with trying to match what Stephen does and learning some more about Reaper and busses.
The thing that seems odd to me about Stephen's description is that he seems to be chaining busses. Bus 1 has an effect, when he sends on to bus 2 to add a 2nd effect, which he sends on to bus 3, .... Does Reaper not have a way to stack effects? Logic does, Audition does. I just don't know Reaper at all, so may be that's how you have to do it. You could do the same thing in Logic or Audition, just seems cumbersome. I use busses for things I want to put in parallel, like reverb. But if I wanted to add noise reduction, followed by a compressor, followed by an EQ, I'd just do all those on the track effects rack.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The thing that seems odd to me about Stephen's description is that he seems to be chaining busses. Bus 1 has an effect, when he sends on to bus 2 to add a 2nd effect, which he sends on to bus 3, .... Does Reaper not have a way to stack effects? Logic does, Audition does. I just don't know Reaper at all, so may be that's how you have to do it. You could do the same thing in Logic or Audition, just seems cumbersome. I use busses for things I want to put in parallel, like reverb. But if I wanted to add noise reduction, followed by a compressor, followed by an EQ, I'd just do all those on the track effects rack.
Yes I find his routing a bit strange also, (BTW just to clarify , not that it matters but Wake is running Sonar, TB is running Reaper ) In Wakes video in the mixer view on the left side, there is a little plus (+) button just to the right of the letters (FX) which I am assuming facilitates adding additional plugins in the same track ?And I am guessing the same is true of Reaper. I know Pro Tools, Studio One, and Reason do, and can't imagine a full featured DAW that would not facilitate that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-25-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

opps double

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-25-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Not that I know a lot, but I thought it was a little convoluted also. Reaper allows the stacking of effects.

I just want to learn in Reaper how to duplicate what I learned to do in Audition - to have a bus for reverb and then use an eq on the reverb.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-25-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Not that I know a lot, but I thought it was a little convoluted also. Reaper allows the stacking of effects.

I just want to learn in Reaper how to duplicate what I learned to do in Audition - to have a bus for reverb and then use an eq on the reverb.

Once you've set up your send to the reverb "bus" track, just add an EQ to the reverb track after the reverb effect itself.

Last edited by Chipotle; 12-25-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity, does this sound better or worse than the same track in the first post of this thread? Is the "fat" still there or is it gone?

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-26-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Just out of curiosity, does this sound better or worse than the same track in the first post of this thread? Is the "fat" still there or is it gone?

Just turn up the volume about 10 decibels and you have pretty much parity.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-26-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah... I didn't want to give that away just yet.

YouTube
Old 12-26-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It doesn't look much different visually on Soundcloud. Its not as loud obviously. I'd like to be able to download it and compare in a DAW.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

Once you've set up your send to the reverb "bus" track, just add an EQ to the reverb track after the reverb effect itself.
Maybe it does not make much difference ? but because I use fairly significant HP and LP filtering , I always put the EQ first, then the reverb. So that the reverb is only effecting that part of frequency spectrum that is left coming out of the EQ , as opposed to the reverb effecting the entire frequency range, then attempting to tame that with EQ.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It doesn't look much different visually on Soundcloud. Its not as loud obviously. I'd like to be able to download it and compare in a DAW.
Don't bother. The only thing that I changed was to lower the volume of the track. I was attempting to determine how much the loudness of the original played a role in the opinions that the original track had something extraordinary going on, but rick-slo put the kibosh on that.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD