The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-10-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Happy using Zoom R8 as audio interface?

I am about to purchase an audio interface. I've read through and researched recommendations made on this forum. Then I stumbled upon a description of the Zoom R8 recorder, and its audio interface capability. Frankly, this seems like a great option, since I will likely use the Zoom R8 frequently as a recorder, too.

Are there reasons to not use the Zoom R8 as an audio interface. Some of you likely own the device, hence my question in the title of this thread.

Thanks.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
…Are there reasons to not use the Zoom R8 as an audio interface. Some of you likely own the device, hence my question in the title of this thread.
Hi rmoretti

Depends who you talk to.

If your goal is fairly high quality quick recordings for YouTube, FaceBook etc distribution, and the specs meet your demands, I'm sure it would be fine.

When I see a lot of 'things' (features and effects) built into a single device for this price, something is usually compromised.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-11-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rmoretti

Depends who you talk to.

If your goal is fairly high quality quick recordings for YouTube, FaceBook etc distribution, and the specs meet your demands, I'm sure it would be fine.

When I see a lot of 'things' (features and effects) built into a single device for this price, something is usually compromised.
Thanks, Larry. I probably will make the Zoom R8 purchase. I did seriously consider the Scarlett 2i2 and Motu-2 units you have recommended. But the addition of a very capable recorder in the Zoom R8 for just a little over $100 above those stand-alone A/D interface units is very compelling. My needs are not professional, in any case.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Thanks, Larry. I probably will make the Zoom R8 purchase. I did seriously consider the Scarlett 2i2 and Motu-2 units you have recommended. But the addition of a very capable recorder in the Zoom R8 for just a little over $100 above those stand-alone A/D interface units is very compelling. My needs are not professional, in any case.
Hi rmoretti

Sounds like you understand the differences and options. Have fun recording!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD