The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Boss Tonbender? Yup...

Based on the Mk II. Germanium transistors! Between this and the JHS MkIII, it's getting pretty tempting out there!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:13 PM

A little more

Old 12-07-2020, 08:47 AM

That's cool. I enjoyed those videos and the history behind these two companies. I had no idea that the Tone Bender was still made today by the same company too. I guess they teamed up with Boss to make a more economical version of it? I'm not really sure I understand that partnership since they still make the original.

I've been on the search for a good fuzz for about a year now. The best I could come up with, and truly it's the best fuss I've ever heard, is a wha plugged into an EHX microsynth set up with a square wave into a TS-9. IT's a killer fuzz but it takes up like 3sq feet of pedal board space

So I got a King Tone mini fuzz which is Germanium and it has a really cool feature on it where you can control the bias. Like Yoshi mentioned in his video Germanium Fuzz reacts with battery power and environmental conditions of temperature. So with this fuzz you can dial that in to keep it stable in all conditions. Or you can dial it out if you want too.

In the end though I just didn't like it so I got a Univox Super Fuzz clone and so far I'm loving that.

But dang if this isn't tempting to at least try!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's cool. I enjoyed those videos and the history behind these two companies. I had no idea that the Tone Bender was still made today by the same company too. I guess they teamed up with Boss to make a more economical version of it? I'm not really sure I understand that partnership since they still make the original.

I've been on the search for a good fuzz for about a year now. The best I could come up with, and truly it's the best fuss I've ever heard, is a wha plugged into an EHX microsynth set up with a square wave into a TS-9. IT's a killer fuzz but it takes up like 3sq feet of pedal board space

So I got a King Tone mini fuzz which is Germanium and it has a really cool feature on it where you can control the bias. Like Yoshi mentioned in his video Germanium Fuzz reacts with battery power and environmental conditions of temperature. So with this fuzz you can dial that in to keep it stable in all conditions. Or you can dial it out if you want too.

In the end though I just didn't like it so I got a Univox Super Fuzz clone and so far I'm loving that.

But dang if this isn't tempting to at least try!
Anyone on a fuzz search would be well-served checking out Basic Audio. John Lyons basically specializes in fuzzes and fuzz-like boxes and he is a great guy to deal with. And his prices are far more reasonable than I would have expected.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Anyone on a fuzz search would be well-served checking out Basic Audio. John Lyons basically specializes in fuzzes and fuzz-like boxes and he is a great guy to deal with. And his prices are far more reasonable than I would have expected.
Step one: Decide the nature of the fuzz you want!

That's the hard part! At least it's hard, in my experience, without spending a lot of time and money buying and selling. I've found I primarily like a triangle muff style pedal, and a silicone fuzzface type, and Octavia/Octavio types. I want all three. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be the muff style. The fewer knobs the better!

But really the thing that made me end my dissatisfaction with Fuzzes was learning that for me with the types of fuzzes I like, except for the octave fuzzes, they need to be cranked to 11, and then controlled with the guitar's volume knob. If they are "good" pedals (which is subjective of course), that's where I find the best tones.

Octave fuzzes, at least traditionally designed ones, act differently at different drive/fuzz levels. Kind of like a Maestro. There are narrow sweet spots (plural) to my ear.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Step one: Decide the nature of the fuzz you want...If I had to choose only one, it would probably be the muff style. The fewer knobs the better!
Agreed. I have the Basic Audio Foxey Lady on my board, a pre-Muff circuit with a mids control added. Plays well with others, doesn't care where it is in the signa chain, and you can keep it from getting buried in a live mix.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:44 PM

I had used a Big Muff Pi for years and I do love it. I know there is always an argument as to weather a Muff is distortion or fuzz but to me it's a fuzz. But when I started using that EHX microsynth that's when I could introduce some octave in it and I really liked that. The Super Fuzz has a touch of octave and is perfect.... At least for now.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I had used a Big Muff Pi for years and I do love it. I know there is always an argument as to weather a Muff is distortion or fuzz but to me it's a fuzz. But when I started using that EHX microsynth that's when I could introduce some octave in it and I really liked that. The Super Fuzz has a touch of octave and is perfect.... At least for now.
Superfuzz types are beasts! Fender Blenders as well! I love the chaos! Play two notes and see what happens! I wish I could own all of the legendary fuzzes!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM

whoops double post

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Not a fuzz, but a germanium boost, and it looks very interesting... https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-shop-cs-ranger

Old 12-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Not a fuzz, but a germanium boost, and it looks very interesting... https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-shop-cs-ranger
My treble booster is an old school one knob affair. I like things simple. But in this case I would make an exception if I was in the market... That's a very cool take on the treble booster! I'll be honest, I tend to use mine near eclusively with single coils because there are times when I don't like what mine does with hotter humbuckers. PAF is great, but any hotter and it can get "nasally".

That Fulltone would solve that problem.

And it probably costs less than the Boss Bender will I'm guessing $285 minimum for the boss. Limited run. Germanium transistors...
Old 12-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I'll be honest, I tend to use mine near eclusively with single coils because there are times when I don't like what mine does with hotter humbuckers. PAF is great, but any hotter and it can get "nasally".

That Fulltone would solve that problem..
That's why when I installed the Germanium Rangemaster circuit into my Zemaitis, I put the G&L PTB tone conttol into it. That way I could roll out the low end of the pickups when I was using the Rangemaster. The idea was from an article I read by Joe Gore the famous guitarist!

Oh yeah, the guy singing in the song Mike Fuller was working on in that video was my friend Dave Robinette!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 PM

Jiminy Crickett! Just a saw a pre-order on this. $350... Nope... Just nope...
Old 02-11-2021, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jiminy Crickett! Just a saw a pre-order on this. $350... Nope... Just nope...
Yeah, I found a price of $349.

Nope for me, too.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars