The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 AM

Default Covid GAS

So a while ago I was gasing for a new amp. The gas subsided after I brought an old amp I have to life. Now I’m gasing for a new guitar. I used to have a seven string but ended up giving it to my son. I miss having a seven string so after some Craigslist browsing, I found a local music shop listed a Sterling (Music Man budget line) JP70. Same guitar I used to have but of a different color. When I bought my previous one I paid $550 brand new. This one is on consignment and the owner doesn’t wanna budge from $500. The guitar is near new. Very old strings but hardly any fret wear, but the frets are oxidized and feel like sand paper when you bend notes. Plus the trem bar is missing. I told the owner (music store) that there’s no way I’m paying $500 for that guitar, he better get a hold of the guitar owner and tell him the offer I’m giving. Flashed the cash but walked away.

I’m going again tomorrow and I hope to get a fair deal. He also has a Katana 50 MK2 amp that he used as a demo for the store. He’s asking $200 for it, and that’s just $25 off MSRP. I’m going to try and get a bundle deal ($600 tops) out of that. Wish me luck!

Last edited by 1neeto; 05-02-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:10 AM

Talking

Good luck with it. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I've had too much Covid-19 GAS and have bought several major things. I'm embarrassed by it, but I got a German Hofner Bass, a Rickenbacker 330, an Ibanez TubeScreamer amp, and a Vox AC30.

I'm broke now, but I've got enough gear to entertain me until I die.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
Good luck with it. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I've had too much Covid-19 GAS and have bought several major things. I'm embarrassed by it, but I got a German Hofner Bass, a Rickenbacker 330, an Ibanez TubeScreamer amp, and a Vox AC30.

I'm broke now, but I've got enough gear to entertain me until I die.

Wow nice toys! And thanks, I hope I can walk out of there with a deal.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Wow nice toys! And thanks, I hope I can walk out of there with a deal.
Keep us updated. I'm rooting for you.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Makes no sense to have a $500 guitar for sale that has old strings and oxidized frets and not willing to make a move on the price. Guessing the owner didn't put on new strings because they knew it wouldn't make a difference given the frets. Are the pickups or bridge rusted?

Perhaps in a couple of weeks you can get it for $450.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Makes no sense to have a $500 guitar for sale that has old strings and oxidized frets and not willing to make a move on the price. Guessing the owner didn't put on new strings because they knew it wouldn't make a difference given the frets. Are the pickups or bridge rusted?

Perhaps in a couple of weeks you can get it for $450.

The rest of the hardware looks new. It’s just the frets have that dull gray color and feel rough. It’s an easy fix with some polish (GHS gorgomyte works great on frets) but if I’m paying top dollar for a guitar, it better look brand new. At least put new strings!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't buy that guitar w/ oxidized frets, nor the amp. Those amps are plentiful, and cheap.
Good luck with it though.
So bored I bought an Ibanez.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The rest of the hardware looks new. It’s just the frets have that dull gray color and feel rough. It’s an easy fix with some polish (GHS gorgomyte works great on frets) but if I’m paying top dollar for a guitar, it better look brand new. At least put new strings!
Maybe the store owner doesn't have any 7-string sets in stock, and can't be bothered to order any?

Sounds like it's his loss - or you're going to get yourself a bargain
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-02-2020, 01:55 PM

The MK2 came out a few months ago and they go for $225 or so. I’m gonna offer $450 for the guitar and amp and go from there. $550 will be my top dollar for both.

Here’s one on reverb. I can’t believe they’re asking this much money, but yesterday there was one for $375. I mean wow do people on reverb truly get away ripping off people like this?

Sterling John Petrucci JP7 Signature 7-String - Trans Green Burst https://reverb.com/item/33281857-ste...ntent=33281857
Old 05-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Maybe the store owner doesn't have any 7-string sets in stock, and can't be bothered to order any?

Sounds like it's his loss - or you're going to get yourself a bargain

Yeah I had to order 7 string sets through amazon because no local store stocked them. I hope I can make a deal, but I’m okay walking away too.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Walked away. He wouldn’t go lower than $480, and I can’t just pay that much. I’m sure that guitar will still be there six months from now.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm gassin'. Just picked up a Larrivee 0-40R Legacy Series from a forum member. A little nervous that the nut width and neck shape could be a bust, but otherwise excited. Sweet looking little guitar!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 05-03-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Yeah, I'm gassin'. Just picked up a Larrivee 0-40R Legacy Series from a forum member. A little nervous that the nut width and neck shape could be a bust, but otherwise excited. Sweet looking little guitar!
Sweet! Contrats. I've played the Larrivee OM/Dread 40 before but never the 0. You should post a thread in the Acoustic Sub forum.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! Contrats. I've played the Larrivee OM/Dread 40 before but never the 0. You should post a thread in the Acoustic Sub forum.
I plan to do that when it arrives! This is the rosewood model so it should give off a bit of a brighter sound. Pretty pumped.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 05-03-2020, 03:06 PM

You guys are not helping with my GAS. [emoji23]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars