The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2014, 01:07 AM

I'll throw a Hughes and Kettner 5w Tubemeister in the ring.

Has a built in DI for your recording needs too. I plug mine straight into a mixer and use my monitors or headphones when I need play late at night.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
If you buy a 50 watter, you may have to put the amp inside the house, cover it with blankets and go outside to play to get a decent tone when overdriving it.
Home amps should be modeling amps. Anything by Line 6 is a sure thing. Or buy a Korg Pandora Mini and use it for effects.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 AM

Let me add to this thread,

Previously I have owned Mustang I modeler, but wanted something with more headroom and easier way to tweak settings.
Enter Mustang III v2, a lot to like in a very portable package, 1x12 Celestion speaker, has a lot of effects already built in - a lot more than I personally need or use. Comes with a two button foot switch pedal included that can be made to control different functions. For even more versatility it can be combined with four button foot switch pedal that is optional. I get really good Fender clean sounds, and when the need arises i also have some Marshall sound presets that i really like. This amp works really well with my Strat and Tele. Briefly I owned an Epiphone Les Paul and found some good presets for that as well. This is the one i use a lot at home, even though it is a 100W rated I seldom go past 2 or 3 on the dial and it is more than acceptable for my live in apartment night time playing.

On the other end of the spectrum i also own a Marshall Class 5 tube amplifier, came to me used with matching external speaker cabinet - this amp is LOUD, never play it past 4 or so at home, in order for tube to break into natural saturation it needs to be wound past 8, where I live that will get me evicted in short order. What i have done to remedy this scenario is I had purchased Boss distortion pedal and use it to drive amp at lower volume levels. I will have to say I much prefer the natural breakup of the tube.

Something to look into would be Bugera V5, seen some Youtube clips and it delivers good tube sound in spades.
Have fun shopping, bring your guitar and see what works best with it.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 AM

If you go for lots of clean headroom, there are pedals that get you sounds very much like tube amps dialed to where your playing attack determines the amount of overdrive/distortion.

Here's one that isn't cheap unless you google the schematic and layout, and DIY it. Fast forward to about 1:40 for the part I like best.

(played through a Deluxe Reverb)
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 AM

It may be out of your price range but the Mesa Boogie Transatlantic T15 lunch box tube amp has 3 power settings and can be set up as a Vox, Fender or Mesa Boogie sound. Built incredibly well. About as fun as it gets. At 5 watts it breaks up at pretty low volume.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
It may be out of your price range but the Mesa Boogie Transatlantic T15 lunch box tube amp has 3 power settings and can be set up as a Vox, Fender or Mesa Boogie sound. Built incredibly well. About as fun as it gets. At 5 watts it breaks up at pretty low volume.
That sounds great, but if I do buy a tube amp, I'm aiming at around the $500 mark.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I second the Bugera V5. Attenuator lets you dial it in at 0.1, 1, and 5 watts. Sounds great and even has a good headphone jack and decent reverb.

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix58 View Post
I second the Bugera V5. Attenuator lets you dial it in at 0.1, 1, and 5 watts. Sounds great and even has a good headphone jack and decent reverb.
Absolutely. I think it's hands down the best amp deal out there.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
...if I do buy a tube amp, I'm aiming at around the $500 mark.
This should be right up your alley - take you from the bedroom to the studio to the gig:

http://www.proaudioland.com/peavey-windsor-studio.html

I've heard that the stock speaker isn't the greatest, lacking in low-end punch; not to worry - one of these and an Eminence Cannabis Rex or Swamp Thang (my personal fave) will put you right at your $500 target...
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The latest modeling amps such as the Mustang have features and controls that allow a person to be creative or derivative in a way that is beginning to blur the line between tube and SS.
Modelling amps are cheap and that's important for a lot of people - me included. I don't have a lot to spend on gear although that pushed me towards DIY amp-building rather than modelling.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
This should be right up your alley - take you from the bedroom to the studio to the gig:

http://www.proaudioland.com/peavey-windsor-studio.html

I've heard that the stock speaker isn't the greatest, lacking in low-end punch; not to worry - one of these and an Eminence Cannabis Rex or Swamp Thang (my personal fave) will put you right at your $500 target...
That does look a good option. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 AM

What about this guy?

The amp comes as just a chassis, so you can drop it into an old Blues Junior cabinet, get an aftermarket cabinet, or build your own.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I'll throw a Hughes and Kettner 5w Tubemeister in the ring.

Has a built in DI for your recording needs too. I plug mine straight into a mixer and use my monitors or headphones when I need play late at night.
That's a sweet little amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix58 View Post
I've never played the Bugera V5 but I've read some great things about it here on this sub forum. I've done some research.

The Traynor Darkhorse 15w amp is nice and it's $500. A little unconventional looking but impressive nonetheless. Switchable to 2 watts.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/8010/Gui...uitar_Head.htm
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
That sounds great, but if I do buy a tube amp, I'm aiming at around the $500 mark.
If it helps, that's about what I paid for the 5 watt 5F1/champ based amp from an independent builder. He did an amazing job, and since it's a hand-wired classic circuit it should be easy to get serviced if needed. The only downside would be resale value, but I don't intend to sell it. I did wait three months for it, though. Anyway, there are a few great independent builders around if you're interested in going that route.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM

I have plenty of electric guitars and amps, from 5 watts up to a 100 watt plus twin reverb

For most of my recording I tend to go with a small amp. i have kind a fallen in love with a Gibson GA5 Les Paul goldtone amp. One volume knob on that. I control the effects and tones through some pedals.

I have also be digging a Fender Princeton Re-Issue, same deal, different vibe.

I think for the money the Fender DRRI is way better than the PRRI, but that's off the shelf.

I have Marshalls, 1 Mesa left and a Dr Z maz 18.

I really can say what's best, but if you push the front end of an amp a bit, have a master volume and learn some mic techniques, there's probably enough options there to drive you crazy in tone and sounds for the next 30 or 40 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars