The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Just go to a Guitarcenter if you have one nearby, and go to the used guitar wall. You will find tons of guitars under $350 that will fit the bill. The Les Paul, of which there will probably 9 versions on that wall, was originally designed for "popular jazz". The strat, which will make up a good portion of the wall, was made for western swing. There will be epiphone hollowbodies, probably a lower end Gretsch or two.

No reason to even spend $500.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM

In addition to the Gretsch Electromatics, here are a few that would serve you well:
Epiphone ES-295*
Epiphone Wildkat
DeArmond Starfire Special*
DeArmond M-75T or M-77T*
Reverend Pete Anderson Signature

The asterisk indicated out of production but available on the used market.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 PM

If I may throw in my 2 cents. The Epiphone Emperor "Joe Pass Signature" model is a true jazz box. Quality inside and out. And beautiful too, in my opinion. I swapped out the stock pickups with Seymour Duncan's and that made it even better. You can get these brand new for well under $1,000. If it's a pure jazz guitar you're after this is a great, inexpensive option.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

You say you've been toying with the idea of getting a Tele and a Jazz/Rockabilly guitar for your lad, I'd go for a Fender Telecaster Cabronita. Great MiM guitar and those Fidelitrons are really nothing to be sniffed at. Maybe, if you really want to go semi-acoustic, try out the Cabronita Thin-Line. Should have change from your stated budget as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Jazz box

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
My son has been playing guitar for a year now. He is currently playing trumpet in his 6th grade band, but starting in 7th grade he can play guitar in the school's Jazz band.

In the band, they will have several concerts and will play Jazz along with Rockabilly songs.

He currently has a Fender Strat, but I am looking to see if anyone has advice on a guitar that will be suited for those styles of music. I'd prefer to keep the cost to $1000 or $1200 tops.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at? I only play acoustic, so this is out of my area of knowledge.

Thanks,

Matt
I have an Epiphone Joe Pass EmperorII. Designed specifically for jazz and is smokin' for rockabilly. About $600 new. Worth a look.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Telecaster or Godin Kingpin CWII.

I hate most rockabilly type guitars for jazz...twangy filtertrons, stupid rocker bridge and heavy tuning nightmare Bigsby. Generally, I wouldn't be hip to the idea of playing both of these styles on the same guitar...but if I had to, I'd go tele. If I were doing mostly jazz and just needed a little twang on a few tunes, the P90's on the Godin would do both jobs just fine...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM

imo what you want is f-holes. jazz is best served by a semi-hollow body with f-holes. rockabilly music often goes along with the look of rockabilly as defined by brian setzer and horton heat....and f-holes.

gretch. man, playing one of those things is like playing a bus equipped with plumbing fixtures, but they are like the les paul and marshall combined of rockabilly and swing, they have the look, they have the sound, but imo, they are not the most nimble guitars for jazz.

so, i recommend a semi-hollowbody with f-holes, with either a single or double cutaway. epi, godin, ibanez artcore, etc.. are affordable "gateway" guitars.

i entertained the local gc for like and hour a while back with one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FcWTfgodBBQA_w

i had a blast. it was surprisingly nice and shreddable. a real fun guitar imo.

Last edited by arie; 04-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 PM

I would get him this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1243.html

or this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/as820wh.html

EDIT: Michael Kelly has a sweet looking line up of a archtops too.

Last edited by 44Runner; 04-06-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Try Telecaster or Epiphone Sheraton II.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
A Strat is one of the most versatile guitars out there- I'm sure you can find a good rockabilly tone in there. That said... if you really need an excuse to buy another guitar... a Gretsch electromatic into a Fender amp is pretty much "the" sound.
The Strat is just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars