The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Greetings Perttime and a Great Big Welcome to the AGF!!! You are among friends!!!
As you know sound is subjective, but to me the "sound" of my X20-OS is close,(but not quite), piano like in quality with bass response probably similar to your jumbos. The sound hole projects the resonance directly to your ears as well as outwards...This means I can hear what the listener hears...and create subtle nuances that I have not heard in my "normal" guitars...
It is all about finally hearing what my guitar is saying with clarity.
The X20-OS is extremely comfortable to play,(beveled where your arm rests), and is very light weight...
I took a chance and ordered it with out being able to play it or hear it, so I know the nervousness you must feel, but it is the best acoustic purchase IMHO that I have ever made...
The "tone"...Hummm...Between a Taylor and a high end Yamaha??? Without sounding quite as "Woodie"...
Hope this helps Amigo!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Can anyone comment on how the X20 compares to a RS Shorty SFT ? Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sorry John...but I have not played a Shorty yet...I would also like to compare Rainsong's off set sound hole to my X20-OS...
Buzzardwhisky claims that they are the "best sounding" Rainsong ever produced, and I trust his judgement!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I have both (however gloss on the Shorty) and two me 2 very different sounding guitars....The x20 has a deeper rumble with the offset sound hole than the Shorty having maybe a bit more balance and tighter trebles. Both are really nice sounding but to me are distinctly different....therefore a good reason to have both.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys, I agree strongly with BuzzardWhiskey, I have played a lot of different Rainsongs, and the offset WS1005, totally blew me away and was the best one I had played. It's good to know I am in good company thinking that!

Those X20's are drop dead gorgeous to me, I better stop looking!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
I have both (however gloss on the Shorty) and two me 2 very different sounding guitars.... --- ....therefore a good reason to have both.
Unfortunately, I see little chance of getting both in the near future. One, maybe

There's a greater variety of Rainsong sound samples out there, and I like most of them. It seems easy to get nice chimes out of the treble end ... but I'm on the edge, whether it is a little too pronounced for me. Perhaps the "tighter trebles" of the X20 would be just right - or a little too restrained for my taste
People have said that X20 OS can sound great tuned down a little. What kind of an effect does it have?

I've understood that the X20 OS is very much in demand now, and it might take a while to get one.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 AM

Interesting discussion of the X20 OS and the Rainsong. Though I have the Doubleneck Emerald and two Rainsongs, I would be interested in your guys take on this. Between the two I think the Emerald is the most wood-like? It's not a big margin and I like both sounds but that's my ears?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
There's a greater variety of Rainsong sound samples out there, and I like most of them. It seems easy to get nice chimes out of the treble end ... but I'm on the edge, whether it is a little too pronounced for me.
I know we all hear different, but I am VERY sensitive to bright, edgy or harsh sounding treble strings. My shorty is no where near that description. It may be the Elixir Polys, I don't know. No way am I trying to sway you from the Emerald....just my thoughts on the Shorty. When I play it, I think this is really the only CF guitar I need, very sweet and pure tone, then i play the WS1000 and think, this is really the only CF guitar I need.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No way am I trying to sway you from the Emerald....
Not to worry. I am not set on anything yet. Not even carbon, to tell the truth.
If the finances work out, I want to make an informed decision ... I'm not suffering from information overload yet

.-.-.-.-.
Somewhere, there was a comment about one of the smaller Emeralds, saying that you hear the strings (and not so much the body's response to string vibration, if that makes sense).
Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM

I have both a rainsong shorty and an emerald x7-os. I like the tone on both. They are similar, but different due to the body styles. The rainsong is rich, clear and sweet all at the same time. It's also responsive to how you play.I love the tone. It's as "perfect" as I could think of for the body shape and the way that I play.

The emerald is a smaller body guitar. For it's size it has a great bass response, but the trebles are not lacking. It has a more direct sound, but it is still very satisfying. It's an excellent small body guitar. I also love the neck on it. (maybe even more so then on my shorty) It's a 2013 (and I think emerald changed their top design) since I read older posts about the brightness of emeralds. I don't get that all with mine. It kind of reminds me what a small bodied version of my shorty would sound like. You definitely hear the "body" and not just the strings.

So, to end this rambling post, I love both and the tone on both are great. It's hard to go wrong.

Last edited by jgillard; 02-26-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM

I've played both, I had the X20-OS for a week a while back and I've played quite a few Rainsongs over the past few years, although never more than an hour or so (at stores and jams, etc). In general I liked the tone of the X20 better, but I also found it had less of a range - if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go the Emerald, but only as I already have a range of guitars to suit the different things I like to play. If I could ONLY have one or the other, I'd go the Rainsong as I find them more versatile even though I'm not a fan of the Rainsong "shimmer". My 0.02c.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-26-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
In general I liked the tone of the X20 better, but I also found it had less of a range ... - - - ... I'm not a fan of the Rainsong "shimmer".
Thanks for your comments. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "range"?
(English is not my first language, and I don't speak Musician all that fluently...)

I'm sure I know what you mean by "Rainsong shimmer". I like some "shimmer", but there are limits.

I'm also wondering how different carbon guitars react to different strings, and perhaps tuning down a little. Soundwise, that is.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 AM

Al Petteway is a fan of rainsong guitars.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=800286439987362
If you read the comments from Al I think this one is particularly telling.
Quote:
I just did a one on one recording comparison between this guitar and my Circa 000. After some very slight EQ, this one sounded as good or better. I'm sold on the concept and I think they are headed in the right direction with this spun top design. - Al Petteway
My best advice for you if you are contemplating a carbon fiber instrument is to track one down and try it out.

Last edited by jgillard; 02-26-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Thanks for your comments. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "range"?
(English is not my first language, and I don't speak Musician all that fluently...)

I'm sure I know what you mean by "Rainsong shimmer". I like some "shimmer", but there are limits.

I'm also wondering how different carbon guitars react to different strings, and perhaps tuning down a little. Soundwise, that is.
For some reason I usually find it takes me a while to adapt to carbon fiber guitars - sometimes a few days. I play a lot of fingerstyle, and with the X20 it just wasn't working for me. But I did find that it sounded great with strumming and less elaborate picking. An example here
When I said range I guess I meant versatility. I did really like it, but for me it was more a strummer.
Rainsongs have a pretty bright sound. Some call it "sparkle" or "ringing" or even "bell like clarity" but I personally find it a little too much. There are many here that love it. Again, great guitars and the playability is terrific. The parlor has less of this shimmer for me and if I was to get a rainsong the parlor would be a strong contender.
As for strings, I believe it makes even more of a difference on CF guitars than on wooden guitars. I have a CA GX and I experimented a lot before settling on John Pearse 80/20s.
Anyway that's just my opinion of course and others see (hear?) things differently.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
Al Pettway is a fan of rainsong guitars.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=800286439987362
If you read the comments from Al I think this one is particularly telling.

My best advice for you if you are contemplating a carbon fiber instrument is to track one down and try it out.
That's pretty impressive!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber