The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Default How Many JT Songs ????

How many James Taylor songs do any of you good folks play? Personally, I can’t get enough of his songs. I play most of his hits and a bunch of other songs from his albums. The only song book of his stuff that I ever bought was the one from his Hourglass CD that was out about 10 years ago. There wasn’t a song on that CD that I didn’t like. At this point, I’ve learned all but one of them. Right now I’m working on “September Grass”; which was on his October Road CD from a few years ago. This morning I also found on the computer an arrangement of his “Something In The Way She Moves” that I had forgotten that I did. So that was a nice treat! I added some “filler” and passing chords to it to enhance it a bit; and it sounds really nice. I think I played that 5 times this morning; along with some other JT stuff. He’s one of the best!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

No doubt about it...I cut my teeth on a lot of JT's stuff and always wondered why I couldn't quite get it to sound just like him...go figure?!? "September Grass" is a great song. I always liked the ones that received little or no air time the best. Not to knock his hits as he's sure had a bunch of them. "The Secret of Life" is one of my all time favorites as well as "Lighthouse" from the album Gorilla with David Crosby and Graham Nash singing backup. What a vocal blend?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM

"The Secret Of Life" is another one that I haven't got down yet. But it is on my "Must Learn" list. "September Grass" is a tough one. The chords aren't that bad. What's hard is getting that chord sequence going and singing it at the same time. How are things in Myrtle Beach? My sister-in-law and her hubby have a summer place in Sunset Beach, NC!

Last edited by 15 Man; 03-05-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

It's all good here. Been way too cold this winter but I shouldn't complain as a lot of folks are shoveling snow...a lot of snow! It'll be interesting to see what happens to Sunset Beach once the new high rise bridge across the ICW goes in. I hope they don't ruin that little beach town. MB was once a little beach town like that when I was a kid although you'd never know it now? Still, this is home and I love it here.

Been up in your neck of the woods a couple of time and stayed in Falmouth. It's beautiful up there on the Cape but I tend to gravitate to the South Carolina Low Country...nothing quite like it!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I like to mix up my cover songs from a lot of different sources, but I do like JT's songs a lot. I routinely play "The Secret of Life," "Copperline," "Something In The Way She Moves," and "Sweet Baby James".

I like the way JT does covers, too, such as "You've Got a Friend," "Handy Man," and "Liberty Valance." He's done some Sam Cook covers that are great, too.

- Glenn
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 PM

While I own none of his CDs, I'm going to see James Taylor in concert in a couple of months.

Does his have any instrumental pieces that you would recommend?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM

I do about 50 John Denver songs and about 28 Gordon Lightfoot songs, I only do Fire & Rain, Sweet Baby James, Carolina In My Mind and You've Got a Friend.

I do love his music though. But while I can listen to Denver and Lightfoot all of the time I need to be in a certain mood to listen to James Taylor.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Joe,

JT's a good player but he is not an instrumentalist. I think I have every album he has ever made. There is one kind of transitional instrumental piece on one of his albums, "New Moonshine," I think. But he is a singer/songwriter, not an instrumentalist.

Regards, Glenn
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM

From his CD Covers......Seminole Wind...actually a country song from John Anderson... his version is outstanding...in fact, I will be singing it tomorrow at the restaurant where I play a little Saturday late afternoon/early evening thing!

For those of you who want to know, I will be playing my Olson Dread #547.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Joe,

JT's a good player but he is not an instrumentalist. I think I have every album he has ever made. There is one kind of transitional instrumental piece on one of his albums, "New Moonshine," I think. But he is a singer/songwriter, not an instrumentalist.

Regards, Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. I'm not sexy enough to be a singer so I'll stick with the guitar...

Joe
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM

I love JT, but only do a few of his tunes;

Fire and Rain
Sweet Baby James
Secret O’ Life/Wandering (from the Squibnocket video)
Carolina On My Mind
Anywhere Like Heaven
Something in the Way She Moves
Millworker
Riding on a Railroad
Walking Man
You Can Close Your Eyes

But, whatever my audience, they always like the James Taylor stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Joe,

Regards, Glenn
I know the one you're talking about Glenn. I was going to try to learn it and somehow forgot. Wonder if there's a tab for it floating around somewhere? It's a great little run too!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

QUOTE > Glennwillow said: "I like the way JT does covers, too, such as as "You've Got a Friend," "Handy Man," and "Liberty Valance." He's done some Sam Cook covers that are great, too."

Agreed that he's also done some great covers. I play some of those too; "Handy Man", "You've Got A Friend", "Up On The Roof" and Buddy Holly's "Every Day". Oh yeah, I can't forget Stephen Foster's "Oh Susannah" either! JT actually even "covers" his brother Livingston too. There's a great song on the Hourglass CD called "Boatman" that was written by Liv. I play that one too!

Also like Glenn, I usually mix my covers up when I'm playing. But this morning I was in a JT frame of mind and just did one after the other.

Last edited by 15 Man; 03-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
I love JT, but only do a few of his tunes;

Fire and Rain
Sweet Baby James
Secret O’ Life/Wandering (from the Squibnocket video)
Carolina On My Mind
Anywhere Like Heaven
Something in the Way She Moves
Millworker
Riding on a Railroad
Walking Man
You Can Close Your Eyes

But, whatever my audience, they always like the James Taylor stuff.
Wandering, Anywhere Like Heaven, Riding on a Railroad, You Can Close Your Eyes, and especially Walking Man are all in my circle of favorites. As a matter of fact, I'd forgotten about Anywhere Like Heaven...think I'll try to remember how to play that right now...thanks Stoney!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Me

I love JT! Here's my list.
Up on the Roof, Fire and Rain, If I keep my Hear out of Sight, Steamroller, Carolina, Shower the People, Walking man, Looking for Love on Broadway, Don't let me be lonely, Going around one more time, Handyman, Music, Secret O' Life, You Got a Friend, The Water is Wide.
I wish I could do a few more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD