The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interociter View Post
I play in a church contemporary praise band primarily, and we mostly play "rock" genre along the lines of crowder, third day, tomlin, switchfoot, phil wickham, etc.
not trying to imitate or copy, but many of the bands you listed use Gibsons to achieve their sound and feel.

Jason Solley (former DCB electric guitarist) used a goldtop Les Paul many times
Daniel Carson (Chris Tomlin) seems to love his Les Paul
Switchfoot - all of them seem to like the Les Paul or SG.

just a consideration. I love the sound of a good LP or SG, and with great effects+amp, i think you would have a killer rig. However, you may want to maintain some versatility and i think either a Strat or Tele should be great.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahn8 View Post
+1. Though i might switch the analog delay out for a digital one (ie Boss DD20/DD7 or Line6 DL4/Echo Park). And I'd maybe add a tubescreamer-like pedal too. That should be enough to get you through most praise band stuff.
Agreed... The main tones I always fall back to are found in my Boss DD20 and a Keeley modded Sparkle Drive. I've got an American Standard Strat with Kinman pups into a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R, and this style setup can be very, very versatile and cover alot of ground given a few other pedals for diversity, but the AC-15, Digital delay, tubescreamer/fulldrive type OD, and a strat/tele style guitar would cover much of the bases as a rhythm player. I'm not knocking the LP route though, just don't think it's quite as versatile.

And FWIW, Carson uses his Esquire a good deal, and Solley used his Anderson Cobra much more than the LP.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Having just ventured over to the equally confused electric side, I appreciate those who confirmed that it's how you play, not what you play. Being an old fart with an affinity for Fenders, no need for a whammy bar, and a concern for Strat tuning issues that seem to arise from said bar, I opted for a Telecaster and now a hardtail MIM Robert Cray. Although I've yet to explore its equally dizzying array of options, I bought a G-DEC 30 which is a really fun amp for living room performers like myself. I got a lot of useful opinions from the User Reviews over at Harmony Central http://www.harmony-central.com/ regarding different guitars and setups. Good luck............
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. It seems like the 335, tele, and strats were all recommended highly. On paper I like the way that thinline tele looks, but I need to go play them all now.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses. It seems like the 335, tele, and strats were all recommended highly. On paper I like the way that thinline tele looks, but I need to go play them all now.
And at the end of the exercise what do we get? Without specific brand/model names you have been reccomended single coils, humbuckers, and a semi-hollow. In the end it is whatever sounds, feels and looks best to us. Looks for us and the audience, for some audiences playing a V sends a different visual message then playing Lucille. And then we factor in the price.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 PM

I was an acoustic guy for a long time until I added a Fender Strat to my tool box. I am a rhythm player. For starters i would recommend the Strat for its versitility. I'm comfortable playing blues, rock, jazz and surf music with the Strat. I have also added PRS CU22 (Strat clone) and McCarty (Les Paulish). I play rhythm on 'em all. I think you can play rhythm on most any ax. Most so call lead players don't play "lead' all the time (except for jazz players). They strum along until a fill or riff is appropriate. So as others suggested play a few and find one that feels and sounds right to you. Then come back and as us about amps, which is a whole 'nother question.......Good Luck and enjoy the journey!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Teles are great guitars. Although it sometimes has a rep for being just a chicken-pickin country style guitar, it's actually really versatile. I've been beginning to see them more and more on praise bands

I have a G&L ASAT Special and its a really nice modified tele-style guitar. I'd highly recommend you look into G&L or their Tribute line (Korean made but with American pickups).

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM

You could also consider one of the PRS SE guitars -- these are imports, so they are very reasonably priced, well made, plus they have a neck that reminds me more of an acoustic guitar than Strat or Tele necks do.

I picked one up recently so I could play some rhythm guitar in our Americana band -- I normally play lap steel and banjo, but some songs just call for two guitars, don't they?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars